2017 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

anyone know of any tucked away spots i can fish from my freighter canoe with little kicker near ukee end of july?
Maybe. Depends on the wind. At dawn till 6:30am, there will be lots of boat wakes to deal with too. There are days when lots of coho and the odd spring are inside the frame. Other times, everyone goes elsewhere so who knows.
You could also launch at Toquart.

Attachments

• Capture beg.PNG
    Capture beg.PNG
    410.8 KB · Views: 70
Back from my annual June trip to Ukee and, unfortunately, it was pretty dismal for us this year. Was there Sat, June 10th through Sun, June 18th and the fishing was slow, at best, wind blew and seas were lumpy pretty much the whole week. Scratched out only 5 chinook worth keeping and nothing over 10lbs, no legal lings and no halibut. Talked to a few locals and red can had been holding fish but they had moved on by the time we fished it. On a positive, areas like Great Bear and Wya were holding a ton of bait. On multiple trips (due to seasick newbs on my boat keeping us mostly inside for the week) to Great Bear the birds were swarming on huge bait balls at the surface. Unfortunately, no springs or coho feeding under them.

Really blew and poured on Thursday so we did a tourist day. Friday was still so sloppy we only did a short fish - with seemingly no fish around and very sloppy conditions I personally have never done well when the gear is bouncing every which way so, given my buddies guts didn't like those conditions either, easy call to keep it short.

As always, despite the disappointing fishing and weather, we all had a great time. Just can't beat the west coast or Ukee - eagles coming in for a rockfish snack, breaching humpbacks, orcas, a pod of porpoises, hiking down to Florencia and Half Moon Bay, the Wild Pacific Trail, fish and chips at Wild Side, Long Beach, etc, etc, etc.

Hope it picks up for the rest of the summer.

Cheers!

Ukee

Fished all over south bank today. Sadly only a couple wilds to unbutton.

Then hit red can for a short troll, with nothing to show.

Ran to Harbour Entrance and fished that to mears and put two Coho and a small spring in the boat.

Overall pretty darn slow.

Ran to Harbour Entrance and fished that to mears and put two Coho and a small spring in the boat.

Are the Pyrosomes still around thick?

Mr. Grey, I'm curious about the wilds you unbuttoned out on South Bank, I'm assuming you're referring to wild coho? Nice to hear you also found some coho inside, there certainly weren't any around last week for us. Also, you mention Harbour Entrance to Mears - do you mean harbour entrance to Beg, Chrow or the Food Islets? Meares bluff is way over on the SE side of the broken group on Effingham Island so I'm assuming that's not what you're referring to.

Slabby 20, while I've read the reports on here about the pyrosomes further north on the West Coast I didn't encounter any while we were there last week nor did I hear any stories from the locals about encountering any in and around Ukee so far.

Cheers!

Ukee

Leaving for Ucluelet tomorrow morning and will be there until Tuesday! anyone have any last reports on where it was good last? I will try to do a couple trip reports! If anyone is going to be up there at the same time feel free to PM me and we can exchange numbers or something and hopefully help one another out to find the fish and if not I should be checking the forums every 2nd night probably.

Ukee,

Harbour Entrance I was referring to is over by Swale. Sorry, should have clarified I was not talking about the mouth of Ucluelet Harbour.

There was lots of bait between Effingham and Swale. Not a ton of Coho but if you put in the time they could be found in pockets. A few springs over there as well but majority are smaller.

No Pyrosomes off shore that we found.

Just wrapped up 3 days fishing up in Ucluelet and had an awesome, time we really lucked out on weather it was sunny everyday and little wind. Day one we ran out to Rats nose and trolled up our 3 Hali 66cm 101cm and 77cm ( 3 of us on the boat) and we got 3 springs and a coho. Had our best success on the turd and white hootchies. Day 2 we decided to run to Hyson which was horrible from the second we got there and we got frustrated very quickly with jelly fish that kept popping our release clips and second guessing our decision of going there instead of 20 mile, after about and hour and a half we pulled the pin and ran to rats nose by this time it was around 830 and we were frustrated as we missed the morning bite and our hopes were low, we trolled for another hour or so with no luck by this point we were so frustrated with trolling we pulled the pin and went and anchored and were rewarded with a 42lber 113cm and a 83cm hali but the dog fish were absolutely relentless we couldn't keep them away . Day three we slept in and had a later start so we decided to stay inshore and fish at cree island and had good succsess as there was a ton of bait stacked in there but not much size to the fish that we caught, we caught a ton of shakers and we lost quite a few fish that felt like they were larger, we kept 5 springs and 4 coho, and then decided to head in. Lures that were working out there were coho killers and skinny G spoons with long leaders. Has anyone else liked there skinny G spoons? I saw so much rave about them so I bought the no bananas one for this trip but I was disappointed with the quality of the spoon after 2 fish the painted was chipping off and the lure was bent every which way, and on the third fish the hook broke, very disappointed to pay almost 8 dollars for something that doesn't last. Will probably be the last Gibbs tackle I buy. Saw DFO out at cree boarding boats which was nice to see them out there enforcing. Huge thanks to @uclueletcharters for the tip on fishing Cree island, with out that information we wouldn't have had such a fantastic last day, huge thanks for all the information throughout the trip!

Attachments

• IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    379 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    554 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    791.5 KB · Views: 148
After a few days in Ukee things were up and down. Some decent fish around at times at Wya and Beg island, everyone's talking about Cree lots of fish around there with good numbers of coho showing on the back side of the island. Purple AP spoon, green coho killers were most productive but remember when fishing the rocks those bigger fish can't resist a chovie!

Just got back from Ukee from a 2 full day and two half day tour, the weather was better then spectacular, nothing but sun and very little wind.
Arrived Thursday around 2 with 2 boats and 7 people, unpacked had a few pops and went out for the afternoon bite, went to WYA and joined the kamikaze of boats, landed one and headed home.
The second day we went to WYA again to join the crowd but we became very frustrated with people that think they own the ocean so we headed towards Long Beach but on the way there we stopped at the tip of Florencia Bay as we seen a whack of birds diving at a huge baitball so we dropped the lines and then hellaluya , within 5 minutes lost a good 20 ponder at the boat but then after that it was fish on, 5 hours later we were limited out, 14 springs. Off to land we went where we had a few too many that night, woke up Saturday went to the same spot and they were gone, went to Long Beach picked up 4 Springs biggest being 21 pounds, that day was tough sledding.
Woke up Sunday as we only had 5 hours to fish so 4 of the guys went bottom fishing and me and two others went back to WYA, within 10 minutes we land a 28lber, 20 minutes later another 23lbers, slowed for a hour then a double header of 25 and 22 lbers and we finished it off with a 20lber as we needed to head back at 11am, what a fantastic morning of fishing, we had a blast. We had the guides coming up to check out our gear, we tried everything but once we got to the non glow white needlefish hootchi, it was game on....
For those that were out there we were the 19' aluminum center console boat

Tight lines....

Attachments

• IMG_4983.jpg
    IMG_4983.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Ukee fishing 1.jpg
    Ukee fishing 1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Ukee fishing 2.jpg
    Ukee fishing 2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 170
Awesome pics and write ups boys, good stuff.

Just got back from Ukee from a 2 full day and two half day tour, the weather was better then spectacular, nothing but sun and very little wind.
Arrived Thursday around 2 with 2 boats and 7 people, unpacked had a few pops and went out for the afternoon bite, went to WYA and joined the kamikaze of boats, landed one and headed home.
The second day we went to WYA again to join the crowd but we became very frustrated with people that think they own the ocean so we headed towards Long Beach but on the way there we stopped at the tip of Florencia Bay as we seen a whack of birds diving at a huge baitball so we dropped the lines and then hellaluya , within 5 minutes lost a good 20 ponder at the boat but then after that it was fish on, 5 hours later we were limited out, 14 springs. Off to land we went where we had a few too many that night, woke up Saturday went to the same spot and they were gone, went to Long Beach picked up 4 Springs biggest being 21 pounds, that day was tough sledding.
Woke up Sunday as we only had 5 hours to fish so 4 of the guys went bottom fishing and me and two others went back to WYA, within 10 minutes we land a 28lber, 20 minutes later another 23lbers, slowed for a hour then a double header of 25 and 22 lbers and we finished it off with a 20lber as we needed to head back at 11am, what a fantastic morning of fishing, we had a blast. We had the guides coming up to check out our gear, we tried everything but once we got to the non glow white needlefish hootchi, it was game on....
For those that were out there we were the 19' aluminum center console boat

Tight lines....
Seen you guys out there Sunday morning with fish on! Well done!!!

Hows that public boat launch, do you need high tide to use it. Any info would be appreciated

I launched my 25' Grady-White there a couple of weeks ago with absolutely no problem. The concrete ramp is a little short on a very low tide, but it's great at any other time. Good dock and no slime on the ramp, either.

Our guides took out a group of 7 guests on two boats yesterday. Each picture is from each boat. Pics attached. Thanks for coming out :)

Cheers!
UC
UC.JPG
IMG_3732.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First trip since August.
Thursday at Cree shakers - NFG, lost a hog at the Ukee Harbour mouth where I only stopped due to the birds working.
Friday South Bank- turtle to adipose: NFG- algae and no other boats.
Saturday at Wya NFG, but I found a few out deeper toward Florencia, and a few more at the end of Lighthouse bank
Sunday, flattest morning ever, by the time I got to my spot on La Perouse, the wind and water was up. I didn't stay long, but shook a handful of 8 pounders and headed for the ferry.
I saw a few fish from Outer South (rabbit). None from any other spot.
I saw many piles of Chinooks and Halis from Big Bank. I don't know why I didn't go on Saturday when the weather was very flat. Next time.

First trip since August.
Thursday at Cree shakers - NFG, lost a hog at the Ukee Harbour mouth where I only stopped due to the birds working.
Friday South Bank- turtle to adipose: NFG- algae and no other boats.
Saturday at Wya NFG, but I found a few out deeper toward Florencia, and a few more at the end of Lighthouse bank
Sunday, flattest morning ever, by the time I got to my spot on La Perouse, the wind and water was up. I didn't stay long, but shook a handful of 8 pounders and headed for the ferry.
I saw a few fish from Outer South (rabbit). None from any other spot.
I saw many piles of Chinooks and Halis from Big Bank. I don't know why I didn't go on Saturday when the weather was very flat. Next time.

Thanks for the update! Appreciate the info!

Back