Long time since last report, I'm guilty as I have been just lurking not reporting. Fishing solo today at secretary picked up a nice 13 lb spring on the west side around 10 am 55 ft on dr in 85 ft . Released a few pinks and around 130 caught my biggest spring ever at O'Brian east of secretary 77 ft on dr in 110 ft at 130 this afternoon. Weighed in at 35 lbs all on anchovy. Just 2 weeks late for the JDF derby.

That's awesome man. Congrats.

3 Chinook off the bluffs/Harbour. 19,17,14, a 9lb pink and a rockfish as a bycatch. Got one an hour before change then the other two at 1&130. A bit of weird time as everyone for the most part had gone home or moved elsewhere. Nice action for the family. 60', a variety of colours were working.

Finally had some time to check out some pics I took a few weeks ago. Oh and the fishing report today was good, last photo was today...4 out of 5 by 10:30 and going home early. All males all red and all wild. 12-18 pounds and deep today....beauty day on the water.

Attachments

• 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 009 - Copy.JPG
    009 - Copy.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 012 - Copy.JPG
    012 - Copy.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 011 - Copy.JPG
    011 - Copy.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 022 - Copy.JPG
    022 - Copy.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 132
As a usual contrast to profisher, today was very poor. :(Arrived at Muir at 6:45 am and trolled up and down in 50-90’ of water for four hours without a touch. Never saw another net in the water either. Then headed out for pinks and spent another 2 hours in 380’ of water without a touch. Finally at 12:30 pm had five small hits in succession out there which lasted just 30 mins. Missed two, lost one, released an unclipped coho and boated one pink. That was it.

Having main engine problems today as well. Inconsistent starting. Had to come in on the kicker. Back on land now found that main will only fire in tilted up position. Will not start in vertical position. This is consistent and repeatable now I know what to do. Gonna put this bizarre symptom on the boats/engines thread. So if anyone can explain this please do so there. :confused:Thx

Great fish Chero you're on a roll keep it going. I was out from Pedder early fished the head to possession with no bite went back to Pedder trolled the Can Bouy and on the last pass down the wall around 2;00 had a line peeling 20 lb wild spring in the boat. Only salmon hit on the day but it made my day;-)

Fished beechy to trap shack again today. 7:30-10:30 saw 4 pinks caught and nothing else. Picked up a nice size pink again in the same area as yesterday.

Decided to head back to Pedder where we lost a huge spring. Honestly Lost it before it I really even got to play it. The release clip would not let go of the line. Figured it has to be mid 30 to be able to snap 30# line. Guess I will never know and now one lucky Spring has a hook and a flasher attached to him.

Weird one today. Full range of emotions. Headed out for solo sammy fish late morning, called buddy half way to cheanuh he convinced me to go for hali. Back home grab anchor bait rods bolt to marina meet him ther e
water so flat head to (classified) looks like wer'e too late, guy on my spot (sad) wait he's pulling anchor(happy) motor into position shut her down go to throw anchor and finally realize scotsman at home still (shame) getoverit decide to drop and drift. Move out farther to drift back to the spot. Was pretty slack and we were bouncing bottom but have never drifted a hali before (Hopeless) 2 hours later after the sweet drift between 4 guys who were anchored up we nailed a 35 (beyond happy). Now all fired up head to trap for sammy and had one heavy fish on high fives gear up and fook we lost it (sad ) Try again for four last passes nada clean fish go home (late) wife (not happy) buddy (lost phone) hali for dinner in the doghouse hiding my grin what a day.

Got a 16# off beechy 135 on the rigger 300' water

And the biggest pink I have ever seen. 13#

Couldn't believe it. It actually took a dive bomb run straight Down.

Excellent afternoon on the water.

Was a bit of a grind today with flurries of short lived action. Morning at Otter, nothing for first hour then saw couple of springs getting netted and suddenly we hook up too - good size clipped coho and a fat pink. Another pink shortly after and that was it. Trolled along Muir and aftera while we run first into a pink and a wild coho then a 15# spring. Another pink and off it went. Trolled all the way to Sheringham, wrestled a bit with commie crab gear on a almost completely submerged float way out in the straight (on a fast running tide this float would have been under 30' - damn idiots!) and then tried prying some springs out of the rocks at the light house. Nada, but then around noon hooked up with 2 nice rippers further out from the light and deep, unfortunately lost both. Then dead until 2pm when we wrapped up. What a mill pond today. Should have saved the gas and paddled on a canoe out there.

Oh, 6 nice keeper crabs in the pot - thanks Rick!!!!

late post:

Started at Otter at about 6:30. I thought it might be a good day since we pulling up to the point and the first boat we see was playing a fish. We fished Otter for 45 min and didn't see anything else and a few more boats were arriving so we trolled up to a less crowded Muir, didn't see anything going on there so we continued up to Sheringham. We stayed there until 3:00 doing circles, my GPS looked like I was playing with Microsoft Paint. At two, we finally got our first & only bite, and luckily it stuck (trailing single hook). A first time salmon fisher, reeled in a 15lb, that fought like a 25. Only had his knuckles crushed a couple of times . Pretty quiet day out there, only saw a couple other nets out.

Was a bit of a grind today with flurries of short lived action. Morning at Otter, nothing for first hour then saw couple of springs getting netted and suddenly we hook up too - good size clipped coho and a fat pink. Another pink shortly after and that was it. Trolled along Muir and aftera while we run first into a pink and a wild coho then a 15# spring. Another pink and off it went. Trolled all the way to Sheringham, wrestled a bit with commie crab gear on a almost completely submerged float way out in the straight (on a fast running tide this float would have been under 30' - damn idiots!) and then tried prying some springs out of the rocks at the light house. Nada, but then around noon hooked up with 2 nice rippers further out from the light and deep, unfortunately lost both. Then dead until 2pm when we wrapped up. What a mill pond today. Should have saved the gas and paddled on a canoe out there.

Oh, 6 nice keeper crabs in the pot - thanks Rick!!!!

Turn your radio on next time. I knew you were out CM. Got out at 11 yesterday for first afternoon shift in a while. Didn't move all day stayed out front in until dark. Lost three springs one just about spooled us.

Than about dinner got a 14 lb in the boat. Topped of the day with 4 large pinks. Most of the action again was from 2 to 5 around secretary.

Did another short trip today. Blown off the water by 11:30am by strong east wind, making it difficult to troll and uncomfortable. The score was one pink, same as yesterday. We got that on herring off Secretary after trolling the trap and East Sooke for 3 hours with no hits and no nets seen in the water. Finished in harbour mouth but no dice. A few guys are posting some success on here now but the vast majority of us have seen the last of the chinooks for this year, judging by what I see and hear. Spoke with a regular at Sunny Shores and he said only 17 fish were caught in the Cheanuh Derby this week end with 80 anglers competing. I don’t feel so bad now!! ;)LOL

Same story as Englishman. Worked secretary and the point to the bluffs. Kept one clipped coho and released a 5-6lb spring. Only saw one fish caught all morning.

Don't give up yet. It ain't over.

I'm predicting another good wave of fish coming. There are some local fish out there somewhere trying to find their way home.

One off weekend does not mean it is done. The mornings were tough the last few days but I heard the late afternoon early evening was on fire in a few spots.

I missed reporting Friday- went for solo mission. Got 1 of 2 on a double header in the morning. Then long lull till about 12:30.
Lost a decent fish beside the boat trying to tire it out for the net. Then picked up 1 more to send me home.

Tips

We picked up 3 of 6 today with a 23 being the biggest. We went 2-3 on the first pass first thing this morning. So it was a good quick start..only two of us there when it was on and the other small tin boat was hooked up at the same time we were. Most of the fish the last couple of days are males, all reds and wilds.

Last edited:
Did another short trip today. Blown off the water by 11:30am by strong east wind, making it difficult to troll and uncomfortable. The score was one pink, same as yesterday. We got that on herring off Secretary after trolling the trap and East Sooke for 3 hours with no hits and no nets seen in the water. Finished in harbour mouth but no dice. A few guys are posting some success on here now but the vast majority of us have seen the last of the chinooks for this year, judging by what I see and hear. Spoke with a regular at Sunny Shores and he said only 17 fish were caught in the Cheanuh Derby this week end with 80 anglers competing. I don’t feel so bad now!! ;)LOL

You are going to miss out if you think its over. Roland some of the best fishing can go on till end of Sept.

We picked up 3 of 6 today with a 23 being the biggest. We went 2-3 on the first pass first thing this morning. So it was a good quick start..only two of there when it was on and the other small tin boat was hooked up at the same time we were. Most of the fish the last couple of days are males, all reds and wilds.

Yeah I noticed that as well last few trips have yet to get the really large whites yet. All reds still.

There is fish still there you burned past me english while we had one one (did you not notice) you went out to never never land I can only assume.
fishing for springs will be good till mid sept as it always is as we have NO rain, dont worry coho are just around the corner too...

Good luck Wolf

Have had seen nice springs caught til mid october here. Still good

Back