2017 Sidney Reports

Clarification with regs please....for chinook in 19-5 is there no max size limit of 85cm after July 14, just the 62cm minimum? Thx

Pretty slow out there this eve. About 10-12 boats and only saw one small one landed between 6:30 to 8:15pm. Nice evening tho.

Skunk for us as well Saturday evening on the high slack. Guys at the ramp had no luck as well.
Anyone find anything this weekend?

Was out today fishing near Saltspring..then just an hour trolling around the Spit. Saw one nice spring caught by a boat in front of us. Nothing for us though.

Worked Coal Island from 4 - 8 p.m. today. Lots of bait, some birds feeding, but no bites. Saw one boat land a small Spring next to us but no other nets out. Lots of weeds to navigate through with the big tide swings we have seen lately. Creel survey guy at the Tulista ramp said that he had only seen one small Spring today when we pulled out at 8.

Got one small spring jigging off the spit on Friday night. We were back out Saturday morning for a few hours but struck out.

Went out solo this evening to catch the tide change and was not disappointed. 4 undersized, 2 shakers and a 12lb that I lost at the boat. I may not be man enough to fish by myself :( and to think I only hd one rod going. Several boats out though I did not see any nets. Alas I am on the am shift tomorrow bright and early to do it again.

Worked the spit Wednesday and Thursday morning for daybreak and wasn't rewarded. Dogfish, shakers and weeds on a coho killer and Betsy at 60-70 ft. Couple of other boats out and didn't see anything come up. Last night went out to try Hamley for the first time and was not disappointed. The bottom comes up faster than expected and ended up losing a cannonball but coming home with a fish.Coho killer with Betsy at 80'. A couple of other boats around and seemed to be a lot of action.

Got a solid 12lb doe at the spit this afternoon. Hit really hard and took a lot of line before we could get to the rod, so I was hoping it was bigger. Kudos to the boat crew for being so awesome at steering and netting!

Caught on a Lurecharge army tank spoon and Bon Chovy flasher 60 Ft of cable in 80 Ft of water

Lost another one that looked about the same size, too. White UV nano squirt in a jughead. 45' deep

Then lost the winning flasher and spoon to a submerged trap shortly after.

Killer weekend out there for us. Went 5/9 on the night bite, nothing big all 10-12lb springs and one that was maybe 14. Lost one real good fish, I'd guess to be 20+.

Do I read your latest posting right?
I know you are a keep and capable fisherman who likes Sooke, Sidney and does well off the Breakwater in August.
You must be superman...fishing the Consultants Derby in Sooke Saturday til 12:30 then Sidney that night.
When will you start at the Breakwater this year.

Do I read your latest posting right?
I know you are a keep and capable fisherman who likes Sooke, Sidney and does well off the Breakwater in August.
You must be superman...fishing the Consultants Derby in Sooke Saturday til 12:30 then Sidney that night.
When will you start at the Breakwater this year.
I am no superman, I caught the night bite Friday and consultants in sooke Saturday. Sorry for the confusion. Generally I strictly fish the waterfront from mid august-mid September. Last year I found the waterfront picked up a little earlier. A week or two away!

I am no superman, I caught the night bite Friday and consultants in sooke Saturday. Sorry for the confusion. Generally I strictly fish the waterfront from mid august-mid September. Last year I found the waterfront picked up a little earlier. A week or two away!

Thanks for the explanation and your reports.
KEEP IT UP up young feller, fishing that is.

Fished 10:30 - 4:30 today. Started at Coal. Lots of bait showing but no action. Moved to Powder Wharf for a jig, just after noon with similar results. Finished up at Sidney spit. Lots of bait, birds feeding on the bait, and fish showing on the sounder. Alas, not even a bite for our efforts. Ran an anchovy with teaser on one side and a No Banana's spoon on the other for most of the day. Fleet was pretty dispersed today but didn't see any nets come out while we were close to other boats. Beauty day out there. Would have been even nicer if the fish cooperated.

Fished 10:30 - 4:30 today. Started at Coal. Lots of bait showing but no action. Moved to Powder Wharf for a jig, just after noon with similar results. Finished up at Sidney spit. Lots of bait, birds feeding on the bait, and fish showing on the sounder. Alas, not even a bite for our efforts. Ran an anchovy with teaser on one side and a No Banana's spoon on the other for most of the day. Fleet was pretty dispersed today but didn't see any nets come out while we were close to other boats. Beauty day out there. Would have been even nicer if the fish cooperated.

We took over the evening shift today from 5-8:30. With exactly the same findings and results. Powder Wharf to start then the reefs around red can to finish off.
Ram squirts, coho killers, AP Sandlance to no avail. Only hit was on a pure glow needlefish durabait but didn't stick around past the initial thwap

Zero wind and close to zero current made for excellent conditions though.

Back