2017 Sidney Reports

Out Sunday not a lot of action at powder wharf moved to bluffs real slow for me but did see one fella feed the seal a 20 plus

Out Saturday night at Powder wharf for the tide change. No luck and didn't see a net out. Fished Saanichton sunday morning no luck. Lots of boats there but didn't see much. Moved to Hamley and picked up a teenager. One guy said he hit 2 fish before we got there. Looks like Sidney anglers were out any reports ??

The Sidney Anglers had their annual Spring Derby yesterday. The winning fish was 13 lbs. Lots of good fishermen came up empty so dont feel too bad if you got skunked! The fish were few and far between for most boats.

We started at Saanichton, lost 2 fish before 7am, then bonked one an hour later that ended up weighing in at a whopping 7lbs - good for last place in the derby lol. Moved to Coal and released one undersized, and that was all the action we saw for the day. Tried Fairfax, back to Saanichton, and Sidney Channel from the powder wharf to the red can without a sniff. This will be my last report for a while as Im headed to the Haida Gwaii for the Summer season (body and mind permitting). Good luck to everybody this Summer, hopefully there will be a good run of chinooks, and if not at least therell be pinks along the bluffs!

Bonked a 17lb hatch at Sidney spit this morning. Was looking at a furball a hundred yrds away when I looked back at the rod and it was just popping the clip. Once I netted her there were 3 furballs 50 yrds behind the boat....got lucky. 37ft of the rigger.....no bananas teaser and bonchovy flasher.IMG_20170522_112725.jpg

Fished the SW side of Moresby Sunday morning, for the first time ever, from 9 til 1. Only marked 1 small bait ball, and caught a #15 hatchery shortly after. It was full of small anchovies. 90' on the rigger, coyote live image spoon with a dummy flasher. Definitely lots of fun!

Any reports from Pender Bluffs? Seems deadly quiet from that area this year.
I don't find it's worth burning that much gas to get out there this time of year. Moresby is the furthest I'll go until July when the pinks start massing up on the bluffs.
I use my binoculars to count the boats at the bluffs, and I think the most I've seen is 5 or 6. Must not be producing reliably?

Jigged up a 12lb hatch at the spit this morning. Lost a bigger one trolling about a half hour before that. Didn't seem as hot as the reports yesterday but still a pretty sweet morning.:)

Jigged up a 12lb hatch at the spit this morning. Lost a bigger one trolling about a half hour before that. Didn't seem as hot as the reports yesterday but still a pretty sweet morning.:)
Hey Mark.

When jigging at the spit, are you fishing off the northern tip of the spit?

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

Yeah from there and I'll go as almost to the red can depending on how gnarly the current is. Got the one today amongst the crab trap minefield.

Only able to drum up an hour's fishing sunday at the powderwharf. No joy, but lots of bait and arches on the sounder. Nice to see a little less salad too!

Tried Coal first thing this morning and drew a blank moved on to the Powder Wharf for a quick fish before the tide started ripping and more of the same. Once the tide came on, tried Hamley but only managed one undersized that was released. Nice day but lots of weeds at Hamley.

Well today was a different story for us from Sunday. We were out 5:30-8:00 am jigging at the spit again, and this time drew a blank. Not much going on the sounder (compared to previous days recently).

We did see another guy land a small spring jigging also.

We did have a bizarre experience with the thunder and lightning though. At one point this morning I could actually hear the clouds buzzing above our heads, and each time we were jigging the rods, they sounded like a light sabers. My buddy asked me what was going on , and I looked over and all his hair was standing on end.

It was around that time that I decided to get the hell out of there! But not before receiving a nasty shock from my fishing rod though! Sketchy for sure.

We did have a bizarre experience with the thunder and lightning though. At one point this morning I could actually hear the clouds buzzing above our heads, and each time we were jigging the rods, they sounded like a light sabers. My buddy asked me what was going on , and I looked over and all his hair was standing on end.

Try connecting yourself to your blackbox and dialing into .600 volts or so.

That's a pretty amazing experience, glad you knew when to pack it up!

Last edited:
Well today was a different story for us from Sunday. We were out 5:30-8:00 am jigging at the spit again, and this time drew a blank. Not much going on the sounder (compared to previous days recently).

We did see another guy land a small spring jigging also.

It was around that time that I decided to get the hell out of there! But not before receiving a nasty shock from my fishing rod though! Sketchy for sure.

Wow! Quite a story. I had a lightening encounter in the interior near Kamloops one time. I saw the storm coming so I got off the lake pronto. I was standing under a tarp in torrential rainfall watching the situation when suddenly everything in front of me lit up with blinding light followed by an instant deafening KABOOM! I had a freshly opened Lucky lager in my hand and I set a new personal best in emptying that can down my gullet. LOL

Scary stuff.

Back