2017 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Its been hawt lately... local reports have been great and the wind has stayed away. Yesterday did not disappoint. Its already shaping up to be a great pre-season! Pics will do the talking. 11 and 7 lb, a few good fish lost and a few undersize. 4" shiner in the small fish, nothing in the 11.

20170114_085530.jpg

20170114_160607.jpg

Had a friend come over from "the big smoke" to get out on the water and hook him up with a real Sunshine Coast saltwater bounty. We set the traps and trolled around Saturday in the chop and was rewarded for our perseverance. We got a feisty little 7lb hatch spring that went on 2 good little runs and put on a bit of a show for such a small fish... his first salmon caught in the salt. The chop turned into aggressive chop around 1pm and my 16.5'er was sitting on the fence of what's comfortable so we hid in the ley of the islands for a little and my friend jigged up a couple decent sized sole. Surprising how much of those little guys are fillet. The pots yielded some nice keepers to complete the bounty. Nothing in the spring's belly - they're hungry.

Just like fresh veggies from the garden, or fresh beef from the farm, nothing like fresh seafood strait from the ocean.

Good luck out there searching for winter springer's!

Last edited:
Keeping the preseason steak alive with a couple small keepers, yesterday morning was lumpy but laid down nice for the afternoon. Lost a pin-popper on the very first drop, too slow to grab it while I was setting up the second rod. Redeemed on the next drop with a small keeper. There was a Ling feeding frenzy in my fishing area, released 5 Lings throughout the day, 4 nice keeper sized.

Finished the day with a late afternoon double header, lost one early, then lost another right by the boat... redemption stuck tho when I hooked up a small keeper reeling in the lines... heard of that happening but a first for me! Two keepers in two crab pots, my spot hasn't been producing as well as usual.

Saw @TheHurtLocker out there, boats looking good fella! All-in-all pretty good full shift out there, really nice evening.

20170212_151711.jpg

anyone ever caught a hali off say.... lasqueti, sangster, south texada or epsom?
Yes, Upwood Pt area a couple Mays back. Trolling spoons for salmon along the ledges there.

anyone ever caught a hali off say.... lasqueti, sangster, south texada or epsom?

I've tried off Bjerre Shoal one time, I think around Easter. Anchored up Juan De Fuca style. No hali for me. Did get a BIG P-Cod though. One thing I noted was the tiny current flow compared to the Juan De Fuca Strait. Currents really do help (IMHO) draw them in to your scent from a wider range. I may give another try this easter when up there.

I've tried off Bjerre Shoal one time, I think around Easter. Anchored up Juan De Fuca style. No hali for me. Did get a BIG P-Cod though. One thing I noted was the tiny current flow compared to the Juan De Fuca Strait. Currents really do help (IMHO) draw them in to your scent from a wider range. I may give another try this easter when up there.

Attachments

• DSC08590.JPG
    DSC08590.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 123
Back