2017 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2017.

1. SFBC

SFBC Admin Staff Member

Post your 2017 fishing reports here!

bones likes this.
  2. TheHurtLocker

TheHurtLocker Well-Known Member

HL.JPG Happy New Year everyone. LiveLines and I made it out this afternoon to Epsom. Picked up a 11 pounder on green glow hoochie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2017
    RBL, Burban, Fishin'Zinn and 6 others like this.
  3. Burban

Burban Active Member

Its been hawt lately... local reports have been great and the wind has stayed away. Yesterday did not disappoint. Its already shaping up to be a great pre-season! Pics will do the talking. 11 and 7 lb, a few good fish lost and a few undersize. 4" shiner in the small fish, nothing in the 11.

20170114_085530.jpg

20170114_160607.jpg

4. Burban

Burban Active Member

Had a friend come over from "the big smoke" to get out on the water and hook him up with a real Sunshine Coast saltwater bounty. We set the traps and trolled around Saturday in the chop and was rewarded for our perseverance. We got a feisty little 7lb hatch spring that went on 2 good little runs and put on a bit of a show for such a small fish... his first salmon caught in the salt. The chop turned into aggressive chop around 1pm and my 16.5'er was sitting on the fence of what's comfortable so we hid in the ley of the islands for a little and my friend jigged up a couple decent sized sole. Surprising how much of those little guys are fillet. The pots yielded some nice keepers to complete the bounty. Nothing in the spring's belly - they're hungry.

Just like fresh veggies from the garden, or fresh beef from the farm, nothing like fresh seafood strait from the ocean.

Good luck out there searching for winter springer's!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. Burban

Burban Active Member

Effin cold out there peeps, but if you don't value the warmth of your fingers or toes... you might get rewarded for it.

11,8,7. All dead empty... theyre still hungry out there.

20170203_141552.jpg

20170203_165931.jpg

6. Filletandrelease

Filletandrelease Active Member

Burban likes this.
  7. Burban

Burban Active Member

Keeping the preseason steak alive with a couple small keepers, yesterday morning was lumpy but laid down nice for the afternoon. Lost a pin-popper on the very first drop, too slow to grab it while I was setting up the second rod. Redeemed on the next drop with a small keeper. There was a Ling feeding frenzy in my fishing area, released 5 Lings throughout the day, 4 nice keeper sized.

Finished the day with a late afternoon double header, lost one early, then lost another right by the boat... redemption stuck tho when I hooked up a small keeper reeling in the lines... heard of that happening but a first for me! Two keepers in two crab pots, my spot hasn't been producing as well as usual.

Saw @TheHurtLocker out there, boats looking good fella! All-in-all pretty good full shift out there, really nice evening.

20170212_151711.jpg

8. Filletandrelease

Filletandrelease Active Member

Hit quarry bay yesterday for a few hours. Not a nibble.

SprinterX and Burban like this.
  9. TheHurtLocker

We were out again today. Started at Sangster, then Upwood to Epsom and finished off at Trail islands. Four in the boat, a couple of under sized and lost a couple.
    Beautiful day on the water.

Attached Files:

10. leftcoast

leftcoast Well-Known Member

The fish well looks empty where are all the smashed BLL's.

Burban and TheHurtLocker like this.
  11. TheHurtLocker

I get heart burn on those things in the winter!

12. leftcoast

leftcoast Well-Known Member

Derby prep lets go! I'm on the water

TheHurtLocker likes this.
  13. bones

bones Well-Known Member

anyone ever caught a hali off say.... lasqueti, sangster, south texada or epsom?

14. Gramps

Gramps Member

I have caught a halibut at the pilings 15 years ago

bones likes this.
  15. bones

bones Well-Known Member

nice trolling for salmon or purpose jigging?

16. Gramps

Gramps Member

Live bait

bones likes this.
  17. sly_karma

sly_karma Well-Known Member

Yes, Upwood Pt area a couple Mays back. Trolling spoons for salmon along the ledges there.

bones likes this.
  18. Andrew P

Andrew P Well-Known Member

I've tried off Bjerre Shoal one time, I think around Easter. Anchored up Juan De Fuca style. No hali for me. Did get a BIG P-Cod though. One thing I noted was the tiny current flow compared to the Juan De Fuca Strait. Currents really do help (IMHO) draw them in to your scent from a wider range. I may give another try this easter when up there.

bones likes this.
  19. Netanyahu

Netanyahu New Member

Attached Files:

bones and Andrew P like this.
  20. Netanyahu

Netanyahu New Member

Last year From Epsom, 1 or 2 per year trolling the sand

bones, Andrew P and longdriveandy like this.