2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Was out yesterday in the Harbour/Freighters, hit 3 undersize one was a pin popper but just under...all at high tide change, lots of action on the sounder, all my action was at 125ft on the rigger in 130ft of water. There was a freighter the "Copacabana" located in the SW of the harbour off Spanish banks that seemed to be on the fish... lol
I went down to the boat yesterday a.m. only to check on it, post snow, and 10 minutes later I was on my way out from the dock ... was just too tempting. Started out around the same freighter and definitely saw a fair bit of bait, and released a couple undersized, on that side before crossing over to the QB. I then picked up at that point and ran over to the Cap and saw a little bait and got slammed twice by fish, one of which played with me long enough to show that he was a really nice winter fish (who proceeded to spit the hook).

Should have the boat out of the shop by this weekend. With 6k-7k in I'm going to fish angry for a few days. Hopefully I can add something productive to this conversation after two months of jealously reading in tears.

We tried going out of sunset in a friends boat this am as it's stored there on trailer. No dice! 8 foot breaking rollers told us otherwise. Looked nice in the harbour though from up on the highway

Ha ha I think we saw you SteelyDan, we were out there trying to get some prawn traps down, ended up giving up later on as the weather kept getting worse as the waves started coming from the west as well as the north and breaking on the boat lol Seems pretty hard to predict the ocean conditions there, it doesnt seem to matter what the wind forecast is for pamrocks as the same wind one day is totally doable and other days its terrible...

IMG_2247.JPG IMG_2244.PNG Ran across to Salt Spring this morning to spend the family day weekend and dropped the lines at Porlier for two hours on the way over. Released 17 between 20 and 24 inches and caught 2 keepers. The fish kept the much better half and I very busy. Got to shore and had a buddy drop in for a snack while I was cleaning the fish.

Nice fish - looks like the one on the far right had a bit of a battle with a seal or prop? Or was than an old wound?

Nice day on the water. Limit of crab for the wife and I, no keeper salmon. Floppy the seal followed us most of the day and managed to grab a shaker as we were bringing it up to the boat to release it! We fished from the pink apartments to the freighters and back. Seen one guy fishing right at the Cap mouth as we went back in and he was rinsing his net off.

Mike

View attachment 31440
We trolled HITW from 10 -2 today with 2 keepers just legal sized, both were clipped

Took a Saturday stroll down the wall on way to get prawn traps; caught an undersize; 100' water Pesca. No luck yesterday but only fished 45 minutes. Will try again this morning. Last two days have been calmer than I've seen in quite a while.
Prawning has been average. I'm having troubles organizing my traps and weight. I have two lines; one with two traps and the other three. Can anyone comment or share how they set? The guy at Pacific Net and Twine suggested from bottom of line: weight, trap, trap, trap, weight but when I do this it all gets tangled and caught up on the way up. So then I decided to ditch the weight figuring that three traps was enough weight. Will pull that today but setting multiple traps on a line has been a challenge for me. Thoughts?

Took a Saturday stroll down the wall on way to get prawn traps; caught an undersize; 100' water Pesca. No luck yesterday but only fished 45 minutes. Will try again this morning. Last two days have been calmer than I've seen in quite a while.
Prawning has been average. I'm having troubles organizing my traps and weight. I have two lines; one with two traps and the other three. Can anyone comment or share how they set? The guy at Pacific Net and Twine suggested from bottom of line: weight, trap, trap, trap, weight but when I do this it all gets tangled and caught up on the way up. So then I decided to ditch the weight figuring that three traps was enough weight. Will pull that today but setting multiple traps on a line has been a challenge for me. Thoughts?
Trap ,weight ,20' line ,trap ,weight

Better double check the regs, only 2 traps allowed per float

Spent a couple hours yesterday morning at defence but not a lot of action... The rest of the day at tunstel, not even a hit... beautiful day to be in the water though and we limited on crabs... going out again now just for a couple hours but we're going to stay around the harbour...

Back