2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

It's pretty simple math. Take your clip length, the length to your flasher and your leader length and assume that it all could kick up at some degree of an angle toward your second set. Personally I maintain 30 ft between gear. Another thing that can happen from time to time is if your clip is sliding up your downrigger cable on your bottom rod then it can decrease your spread as you keep tightening your rod back down. Plus never ever stop the boat. When turning into the wind or current make sure you increase your speed so your lines stay well back.

Good luck!

leader length on the spoons?
dont let it down too fast,
I only have a 20' spread and keep my bottom line back rod length and top line double that,

Use stoppers on your cable or braid, especially to adjust them regularly as they do move. I normally Seperate mine at twenty feet apart, but come sockeye time, ten feet with dummy's in between. As many as six flashers per side.

Experiment, as said, never stop dead , lower slowly ........ Lots of tips from several above and different ways. I fish four rods all the time ...... It's not an issue.

Hey, gang. I generally troll around the West Van, south Bowen and Bell Buoy area. I often fish alone, usually with one rod (off an electric down rigger).
However, this time of year, I would like once again to shift over to 2 rods. (I have done it from time to time, but with mixed success).
So, I would appreciate any advice, suggestions or tips on the best way to fish two rods when solo: stack both off the 'rigger? one on the 'rigger and the other with a slip weight? both with slip weights?
I should add that I am out for fun...not numbers.
Thanks.

There are different sizes so choose carefully.

The thing is you can load the rig up in the boat and just dump it overboard/let out howevermuch line and you're fishing

cb30f933-a7cb-4f43-9a57-188cfd1cbb17_1.861117df1c2aa25d231a457065632c73.jpeg

That being said it easier than you think to fish two lines off a downrigger just Don't Stop the Boat when letting gear down.

make sure your bottom rod, when stacking, stays cinched up fairly snug, if you have it too loose your line could bow out enough to catch on your to top rods tackle, especially if you are fairly tight to your rigger, which you shouldn't be on the top rod, especially with a 30' plus spread. I fish 4 rods on 2 riggers solo all the time, not a problem except maybe the odd time in the middle of the pack at the cap with a big fish on, lol. (in that situation I do only fish 2 rods solo)

make sure your bottom rod, when stacking, stays cinched up fairly snug, if you have it too loose your line could bow out enough to catch on your to top rods tackle, especially if you are fairly tight to your rigger, which you shouldn't be on the top rod, especially with a 30' plus spread. I fish 4 rods on 2 riggers solo all the time, not a problem except maybe the odd time in the middle of the pack at the cap with a big fish on, lol. (in that situation I do only fish 2 rods solo)

Isn't it Illegal to fish four rods solo?

I have never had a issue stacking rods, I clip them up and send them down I have never done anything above I don't have patience or the time lol only thing I see above is I put my lines from 20 to 30 feet out then drop them and have tried short on the bottom longer on the top vice versa and have never had my lines tangle or anything along those lines.

Was out around the bell today. From 7 to 11-30. Lost one that was going for a run and screaming line out. Couple 10 inch guys that fell for a spoon that wasn't much smaller than them.......lots of Grady's around but only seen one fish landed.

There's no limit on the number of rods in salt.

• In tidal waters, there’s no limit to the number of fishing rods you can use. In rivers and streams, including the tidal waters of the Fraser River, there’s a limit of one rod per angler
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/salmon-saumon-eng.html

That isn't entirely true. When you have a person who doesn't have a tidal fishing license onboard your only allowed 1 rod per angler so crack down on those lazy friends that show up without a license that "don't want to fish".

fished Wednesday at fisheries building. Lots of fish on sounder. No fish there Moved to the Cap after 4 pm. Small cohos (2) close to 6 pm. One on a splatter back and the other on a green hootchie. Reports of Pinks showing up and caught.

But how do you land a fish that has some fight in it? I've fished four rods on two riggers when I have someone with me that knows what they are doing and can get gear out of the way. Solo I've only ever fished one rod per rigger and even then have had issues with bigger fish getting tangled on the other rigger. Couldn't image having another two rods in the water and trying to keep the boat straight while fighting a bigger fish. I'm impressed with guys who have figured it out, but for me the chance of hitting more fish with an extra two rods in the water is more than offset by the risk of not being able to land the fish. Nothing more exciting than a double header while fishing solo. I think a triple would put my heart over the edge.

That isn't entirely true. When you have a person who doesn't have a tidal fishing license onboard your only allowed 1 rod per angler so crack down on those lazy friends that show up without a license that "don't want to fish".
That is interesting. Do you mind sending the link to the official website where this is posted as a reg? Nit a bad thing to show to the free floater buddies who "don't want to fish" ;)

False Steely Dan. As long as the unlicensed person on board does not assist in the landing of the fish or touch any gear which is fishing (meaning in the water) they do not need a license and you may fish as many rods as you want.

If there is a boat driver who has no license and x fishers, there may be as many rods out as you want.

Great reply's to figure this out because for all the time on the water i have fished one rod with two people on board and one licence .

fished the aftnoon west van had a wicked scrap with a pink :) .. saw another boat land something small also . 2 jumpers and 2 seals just smashing some salmon on
the surface with there catch .. marking lots of lock jaw fish, worked every depth and gear till next time .

False Steely Dan. As long as the unlicensed person on board does not assist in the landing of the fish or touch any gear which is fishing (meaning in the water) they do not need a license and you may fish as many rods as you want.

If there is a boat driver who has no license and x fishers, there may be as many rods out as you want.

This is accurate. I've discussed with officers when being checked as I used to think as Steely Dan did.

Thinking 1 rod per license is just a holdover from the way it used to be.
The regulations are actually very clearly written now. There is no limit on the number of rods, and there are no notes indicating special conditions

Back