2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

That's way later than normal. 2 years ago july 8th-9th had some stellar action on the 6wt, 4 years ago 19th, 6 years ago I didn't get out till the 26th but it was rockstar action
Early July is the anomaly. August is more the norm & imo everything is lat this year.

I'll be in Coal Harbour with the boat for the weekend, coming from VI, and hope to get out fishing on Saturday. It would be great if someone can point me in the right direction. Pink Apartments (I've seen them), Freighters (I've seen them too). I definitely won't run further than QA, I won't have time to run far. I'd appreciate it if someone PM'd me some pointers. Thanks! SS

I'll be in Coal Harbour with the boat for the weekend, coming from VI, and hope to get out fishing on Saturday. It would be great if someone can point me in the right direction. Pink Apartments (I've seen them), Freighters (I've seen them too). I definitely won't run further than QA, I won't have time to run far. I'd appreciate it if someone PM'd me some pointers. Thanks! SS
If you don't have much time I would try west van or around the freighters to the red bell bouy by ubc. Your on the right track. Good luck! Let us know how you make out. White uv hootchy will get the job done.

Last edited:
Out at Tunstall right now. These guys are clearly fishing the rocks.

Attachments

• 20170714_154656.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 185
Out at Tunstall right now. These guys are clearly fishing the rocks.

I'm pretty sure I know that boat. Could you please get me a high-resolution copy of that picture and I can speak to them.
I'm pretty sure it's innocent ignorance

I'm pretty sure I know that boat. Could you please get me a high-resolution copy of that picture and I can speak to them.
I'm pretty sure it's innocent ignorance

Innocent may be arguable. As a fisherman it's your responsibility to read up on the regulations. If you can purchase and operate a $70k boat with a few grand in fishing gear rigged up, you can take 15 minutes to read a ******* webpage. Just my humble opinion.

Innocent may be arguable. As a fisherman it's your responsibility to read up on the regulations. If you can purchase and operate a $70k boat with a few grand in fishing gear rigged up, you can take 15 minutes to read a ******* webpage. Just my humble opinion.

I agree with the sentiment, but I prefer to intervene politely. People are more receptive, and you typically end up with a better fisherman.
And I most definitely do not defend the dfo website. It's an embarassment to web developers everywhere. If they worked for a private company they'd be fired for that end result.
A 21 year old new graduate could make it location sensitive in about 2 hours, with clearly written regulations, with pictures, for your current location.
Please do get me that picture though, I want to confirm who it is and I'll have a chat with the boats owner

I agree with the sentiment, but I prefer to intervene politely. People are more receptive, and you typically end up with a better fisherman.
And I most definitely do not defend the dfo website. It's an embarassment to web developers everywhere. If they worked for a private company they'd be fired for that end result.
A 21 year old new graduate could make it location sensitive in about 2 hours, with clearly written regulations, with pictures, for your current location.
Please do get me that picture though, I want to confirm who it is and I'll have a chat with the boats owner

Attachments

• 20170714_171908.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 140
Was thinking of going out for a shift of solo fishing in the harbor tomorrow. It was like glass when I drove over the 2nd narrows before noon today. With the wind warning and the strong SE wind, would it still be fishable?

Last edited:

Agreed the site is FAR from user friendly.....but a 21 year old new fisherman could spend 10 minutes and figure it out. ;)

I'd rather our underfunded, overworked DFO focus on keeping our oceans from being dead zones vs. spending thousands on a fancy webpage to virtually hold the hands of the lazy and uninitiated...

I caught a ling off Ogden point on my trip to Vic this week and it literally took me 30 seconds to double check the minimum slot size on my crappy smartphone before I released the fish. But part of that involved me giving a crap.

Was thinking of going out for a shift of solo fishing in the harbor tomorrow. It was like glass when I drove over the 2nd narrows before noon today. With the wind warning and the strong SE wind, would it still be fishable?
What wind warning? Checking wind alert and it looks all good

Have to agree with fishin solo, marine forecast has a wind warning SE. I don't think it will be an issue! Wind finder app is saying 5 kts. See you guys out there.

Dfo web site does suck
and its not that easy to navigate web site.
think how frustrating it is for a person who's its not there first language....

Agreed the site is FAR from user friendly.....but a 21 year old new fisherman could spend 10 minutes and figure it out. ;)
I've found this App really useful and easy to use for Regs. and Areas ~ probably designed by that 21 year old :) The interface and navigation is easy, the Regs. update every time you open the App, the maps are easy to read and the boundaries are clear and for each area the regulations are clear. It was put together by the Sport Fishing Institute of BC supported by the Pacific Salmon Foundation and believe it or not Fisheries and Oceans. And for the record I hate the current DFO site.
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 8.14.42 PM.png

I've found this App really useful and easy to use for Regs. and Areas ~ probably designed by that 21 year old :) The interface and navigation is easy, the Regs. update every time you open the App, the maps are easy to read and the boundaries are clear and for each area the regulations are clear. It was put together by the Sport Fishing Institute of BC supported by the Pacific Salmon Foundation and believe it or not Fisheries and Oceans. And for the record I hate the current DFO site.
View attachment 34318

I like the look at that. There is a burden on regulators to make information accessible, I personally think that if they went out and did a big crack down on enforcing rules that some judges would very quickly lose patience with the DFO and would side with the fisherman.
You need to remember that everybody on this forum already has at least a basic level of tech-savvy skill, and it's not so easy for most people.
I get calls from people who want to go fishing who don't even know how to email or text.

Back