2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

ahhh crab piracy at least leave a gift if your poaching, even better just leave someone's gear alone, especially here in semiahmoo Bay it's ridiculous the amount of net stealing and raiding that happens.

I did actually (crab traps), closer to the bell but yes. Is that a no-no that I wasn't aware of? First time I ever had, and don't plan on it again given the lack of success.
It is against the regs to crab during night time in Vancouver harbour. You'd have to check the regs for the exact boundaries. There were too many people violating the regs at night, and night stakeouts require a lot of expense and manpower to police illegal harvesting. It was just easier to close the harbour to night time crabbing than to try and police it. Most of the public docks in the Vancouver/Indian Arm area have also been posted with signage that crabbing from the docks is not permitted at night. There were a lot of people crabbing all night from our docks who were ignoring size and retention limits under the cover of darkness to harvest illegally. Night time crabbing was closed a while back in the Vancouver area because if this. Floats in the harbour at night are also a hazard to navigation.

Last edited:
I did actually (crab traps), closer to the bell but yes. Is that a no-no that I wasn't aware of? First time I ever had, and don't plan on it again given the lack of success.

You should check regs on the feds site, but afaik the boundry is Pt Atkinson to the Point at UBC so if you were near the bell you were probably just outside and legal. Anything east of that line is closed from dusk till dawn.

zap strap all the doors closed, if its pulled , its harder to take them fast. if there gone you will at least know the midnight bandit was out.
ps: does the boat run any better with all cylinders? lol, wine was good... thxs
Lol - yea motor definitely running better on ALL cylinders ;). Hard to start these days but that's fine.

It is against the regs to crab during night time in Vancouver harbour. You'd have to check the regs for the exact boundaries. There were too many people violating the regs at night, and night stakeouts require a lot of expense and manpower to police illegal harvesting. It was just easier to close the harbour to night time crabbing than to try and police it. Most of the public docks in the Vancouver/Indian Arm area have also been posted with signage that crabbing from the docks is not permitted at night. There were a lot of people crabbing all night from our docks who were ignoring size and retention limits under the cover of darkness to harvest illegally. Night time crabbing was closed a while back in the Vancouver area because if this. Floats in the harbour at night are also a hazard to navigation.
Had no idea and will never do that again. Wasn't worth it anyway actually.

Went out Saturday tried Tunstil no bites just flounders ,then the orcas came threw we headed to HITW and got a keeper,got him on a skinny g around 100 feet!!

Went out Saturday tried Tunstil no bites just flounders ,then the orcas came threw we headed to HITW and got a keeper,got him on a skinny g around 100 feet!!
i thought i saw your boat Sunday when i went for lunch :), good job on the keeper

Anyone hit anything at Tunstall on Sunday. I had a rod down around 8am, the wind was howling and it was a little cool. A lot of bait showing but did not get a nibble, hard to keep the rods up and down. Tried to get some protection around Hutt Island and then finished off at HITW. Nothing for me.

Buddy had a small hatchery out of tunsall on Sunday. Spoon green white glow on glow flasher 100'

Had no idea and will never do that again. Wasn't worth it anyway actually.

I can also confirm that it's against regs to crab at night. I know this because I went one morning to gather my traps (off Jericho) that had been set the night before and they were gone! I assumed they had been stolen but I got a call from the VPD property branch a few days later (required to put name/phone# on buoys). I had to go collect my traps at 2nd and Clark. They didn't find it funny when I asked how many crabs were in the trap and whether they boiled or BBQ'd them. Basically it's a 'no-no' due to buoys being navigational hazards. It is also illegal to crab east of an imaginary line from third beach to RVYC-ish. Check the regs because as this was told to me; I haven't confirmed it. Jericho to Spanish Banks is quite good though. Further out the better... ideally 30-60' of water. For whatever reason I've had more luck using chicken bits than fish heads there. Good luck and if you do lose a trap, give the good folks at VPD a jingle... they may have it!

I can also confirm that it's against regs to crab at night. I know this because I went one morning to gather my traps (off Jericho) that had been set the night before and they were gone! I assumed they had been stolen but I got a call from the VPD property branch a few days later (required to put name/phone# on buoys). I had to go collect my traps at 2nd and Clark. They didn't find it funny when I asked how many crabs were in the trap and whether they boiled or BBQ'd them. Basically it's a 'no-no' due to buoys being navigational hazards. It is also illegal to crab east of an imaginary line from third beach to RVYC-ish. Check the regs because as this was told to me; I haven't confirmed it. Jericho to Spanish Banks is quite good though. Further out the better... ideally 30-60' of water. For whatever reason I've had more luck using chicken bits than fish heads there. Good luck and if you do lose a trap, give the good folks at VPD a jingle... they may have it!
I know its Ferguson Pt on Stanley Park side but I've been wondering myself where the line is on that side, is there a specific post/pole?

Chicken works great for crabs, and doesn't attract seals who can damage or drag your traps trying to get at your bait.

Anyone hit anything at Tunstall on Sunday. I had a rod down around 8am, the wind was howling and it was a little cool. A lot of bait showing but did not get a nibble, hard to keep the rods up and down. Tried to get some protection around Hutt Island and then finished off at HITW. Nothing for me.

I was at HITW on Sunday also for a few hours before the rain blew in, pretty quiet not much bait to be seen and no hits.

I was at HITW on Sunday also for a few hours before the rain blew in, pretty quiet not much bait to be seen and no hits.

Was out on Bowyer Thursday night to mid day today. Dropped prawn traps and tried going round the north end of Bowen at 9am Friday. 35kt winds, snow sideways and next to zero vis. Had to turn around. Decent prawn haul. Will be back for more next weekend.

Was out yesterday in the Harbour/Freighters, hit 3 undersize one was a pin popper but just under...all at high tide change, lots of action on the sounder, all my action was at 125ft on the rigger in 130ft of water. There was a freighter the "Copacabana" located in the SW of the harbour off Spanish banks that seemed to be on the fish... lol

Back