2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Just curious with yourself and others if your pulling single pots or doubling up; with regards to pot pullers and there "pulling strength".
My Ace (handsfree) pulls two traps with a 5 lb ball plus a 2 lb line weight with no problem. I don't use leaded line but let the line coil itself into rubbermaid bins in the boat. No tangles when dropping the traps.

My Ace (handsfree) pulls two traps with a 5 lb ball plus a 2 lb line weight with no problem. I don't use leaded line but let the line coil itself into rubbermaid bins in the boat. No tangles when dropping the traps.
Thanks for that Bruce! I'm always curious what sort of set up people are pulling with regards to "puller performance".
Went out for a spin in harbour today to give the diesels on Unc's boat a workout. Didn't fish but dropped 1 trap off jericho and had 2 keepers in an hour soak which is encouraging. Beautiful day, was bummed I didn't get out in the tinny for a fish.

I was doubling up, but if I don't have a puller next time (other than my 2 arms).... well... you know the deal ;).

I run same setup as big bruce but 10lbs between 2 traps and never a problem

Last edited:
I was doubling up, but if I don't have a puller next time (other than my 2 arms).... well... you know the deal ;).

I double up and put anywhere from 5-15lb of weight in addition and the Scotty does fine. It's not lightening fast; I think I've timed it at ~6 minutes.

While we're on the topic of prawning, is the season here closing soon around Bowen/Howe Sound. I've read on other area report threads that prawning closed Jan 1st in other places. I might give it a go, but not too thrilled to want to haul that amount of line by hand in the freezing temps. My boat being on the smaller size I'm not sure if I want to invest and haul around a puller for my very limited amount of times I ever drop a trap.

While we're on the topic of prawning, is the season here closing soon around Bowen/Howe Sound. I've read on other area report threads that prawning closed Jan 1st in other places. I might give it a go, but not too thrilled to want to haul that amount of line by hand in the freezing temps. My boat being on the smaller size I'm not sure if I want to invest and haul around a puller for my very limited amount of times I ever drop a trap.

I'm quite certain the commercial opening is for ~8 weeks starting June 1. My experience is forget about prawning during that time. Not only will you catch more or less nothing but you run the risk of the commercial guys running over your trap. I figure they get 8 weeks and I get the rest so I personally don't prawn that time of year. I did a bunch of test traps through late summer and the fall and it was worth starting prawning again late August into September; basicall two weeks after prawnaggedon. There are often very few traps out that time of year.

This is the time to go prawning it's not too cold and the brutas is good pulls 4 traps up for me no problem unless theirs a monster octopus fighting back lol

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN1330-RECREATIONAL - Shellfish - Prawn and Shrimp - Areas 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 23, 25, 28 Closures

Recreational prawn and shrimp by trap harvesters are advised that the harvest
of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from
00:01 hours January 1, 2017, to 23:59 hours March 31, 2017, in the following
Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area
Regulations:

Subareas 13-1, 13-13, 13-16 (Quadra Island area);
Subareas 15-2, (Powell River, Lund);
Subareas 16-5, 16-9 (Sechelt Inlet), 16-10, 16-16, 16-17 (Malaspina Strait,
Agamemnon Channel);
Subarea 17-5, 17-6, 17-9 (Stuart Channel);
Subareas 17-12, 17-13, 17-15, 17-16 (Nanaimo);
Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet);
Subareas 23-1 to 23-4 (Alberni Inlet, Barkley Sound);
Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-16 (Nootka Sound, Muchalaht Inlet, Tahsis Inlet)
Subarea 28-5 (Howe Sound).

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period
to complete. These areas will re-open on April 1, 2017.

Recreational Prawn and Shrimp by Trap fishers are reminded that Subareas, 17-5,
17-6, 17-9 (Stuart Channel), 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet) and 23-1 to 23-3
(Alberni Inlet) are “pulse fishing” through to December 31, 2016. Please see
Fishery Notice FN0923.

Recreational prawn fishing in all other coastal areas remains open until
further notice.
Variation Order No. 2016-557. Variation Order No. 2016–374 is revoked.

These actions are in accordance with the Recreational Harvest Plan, Appendix 2
of the 2016-17 Prawn and Shrimp by Trap Integrated Fishery Management Plan.

Refer to the BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide for further information on
daily bag, possession and trap limits.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Laurie Convey 250-756-7233 laurie.convey@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Mike Kattilakoski 250-756-7315 mike.kattilakoski@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
David Fogtmann 250-339-3799 david.fogtmann@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Anna Magera 604-916-6743 anna.magera@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Brad Beaith 250-756-7190 brad.beaith@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish

Thanks for this. I hadn't a clue as this is new for this year. The way I read this for Howe Sound is the northern section (28-5) is closed for three months but rest of spots (other than RCP and such) are still open. Correct?

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN1330-RECREATIONAL - Shellfish - Prawn and Shrimp - Areas 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 23, 25, 28 Closures

Recreational prawn and shrimp by trap harvesters are advised that the harvest
of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from
00:01 hours January 1, 2017, to 23:59 hours March 31, 2017, in the following
Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area
Regulations:

Subareas 13-1, 13-13, 13-16 (Quadra Island area);
Subareas 15-2, (Powell River, Lund);
Subareas 16-5, 16-9 (Sechelt Inlet), 16-10, 16-16, 16-17 (Malaspina Strait,
Agamemnon Channel);
Subarea 17-5, 17-6, 17-9 (Stuart Channel);
Subareas 17-12, 17-13, 17-15, 17-16 (Nanaimo);
Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet);
Subareas 23-1 to 23-4 (Alberni Inlet, Barkley Sound);
Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-16 (Nootka Sound, Muchalaht Inlet, Tahsis Inlet)
Subarea 28-5 (Howe Sound).

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period
to complete. These areas will re-open on April 1, 2017.

Recreational Prawn and Shrimp by Trap fishers are reminded that Subareas, 17-5,
17-6, 17-9 (Stuart Channel), 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet) and 23-1 to 23-3
(Alberni Inlet) are “pulse fishing” through to December 31, 2016. Please see
Fishery Notice FN0923.

Recreational prawn fishing in all other coastal areas remains open until
further notice.
Variation Order No. 2016-557. Variation Order No. 2016–374 is revoked.

These actions are in accordance with the Recreational Harvest Plan, Appendix 2
of the 2016-17 Prawn and Shrimp by Trap Integrated Fishery Management Plan.

Refer to the BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide for further information on
daily bag, possession and trap limits.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Laurie Convey 250-756-7233 laurie.convey@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Mike Kattilakoski 250-756-7315 mike.kattilakoski@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
David Fogtmann 250-339-3799 david.fogtmann@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Anna Magera 604-916-6743 anna.magera@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Brad Beaith 250-756-7190 brad.beaith@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

That's how I read it aswell. There are also some closures in area 28-2 and 28-4 to protect the glass sponge reef.

That would be correct re closures.
The commercial prawn season should open on, or close to, 11 May 2017 and continue in to mid June. The exact day is proposed but not confirmed as yet.

Iced two today at gambier ,one 65 cm, and one 73 cm, hoochies in the mud. 60 prawns in two traps, a good handfull of those red berried shrimp too? Crab traps in the harbour yielded 12 nice hard shell keepers. Love this time of year

Going to head out tomorrow morning, anyone been out lately? Wondering if its worth the run to Bowen or if the harbours been just as productive as of late? Suppose to be a blue bird day!

Going to head out tomorrow morning, anyone been out lately? Wondering if its worth the run to Bowen or if the harbours been just as productive as of late? Suppose to be a blue bird day!

Have seen a few shots on social media of a local guide who has boxed a few in the past days along West Van judging by the pics.

Put in a few hours at Tunstall, just the one fish that was an under. Couple crabs off Jericho. Going to have to buy some steaks now to go with it. Beautiful day out there though, pretty good outflow on the way there mid morning.unnamed-3.jpg

What's Tunstal like even when there is strong outflows?

It really depends on the flow but generally not bad, the west/northwest gets you much more in there. You've got some pretty tall Islands breaking the wind coming down for you when tucked into Tunstall. The thing about the outflow and I haven't just seen it on the water, see it all the time driving the highway to Whistler; Howe Sound can be fairly calm along Hole in the Wall etc....and you round that corner just south of Porteau and BOOM. Alternatively...it can just blow like snot from Squamish right out to Atkinson. You'll find the outflow is going to hit you more as you cross the mouth of the sound from Point Atkinson to Bowen and that general area....as you'll note Hippa said above "pretty good outflow on the way there mid morning".

Last edited:
Back