2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

had a call from Tahsis,lots of fish on the highway,10-20 mile doing wicked. hali yellows and lings all plentiful as well. Rosa produced a boat limit one was 22.

Thanks SpringFever552 and barkerfam for the info super appreciate it !!!! out to the highways about 2.5 hours one way unless its calm outside so I doubt ill run that far ill see if the guys are up to it,spring fever where you fishing the bajo or up island out of esperanza ? thanks in advance you could pm me if you like thanks again,and backerfam which company is it you own?

Tight lines
Billydoo

Any good advice for fishing the Hwy?? I've heard that big spoons are good, dummy flashers? What about hoochies or bait? And what depths seem to work? Or should we just cover the water column from 220' and up?
I'm keen to get out there this trip (3 weeks time).
Last summer I did manage to get out for an afternoon, but it wasn't the flood and my spoons with flashers didn't produce for me. The water was an amazing blue color out there, was fun to get out there and we did well on Hali's on the way out, but nada on the salmon.

Thanks to everyone who posted on my question re the Tahsis boat launch. I think I have the information I need. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks SpringFever552 and barkerfam for the info super appreciate it !!!! out to the highways about 2.5 hours one way unless its calm outside so I doubt ill run that far ill see if the guys are up to it,spring fever where you fishing the bajo or up island out of esperanza ? thanks in advance you could pm me if you like thanks again,and backerfam which company is it you own?

Tight lines
Billydoo

Billydoo,
I own grand slam bucktails with a buddy. We make trolling flies that are designed here in the PNW. Hand made beautiful flies that last, and most importantly, catch fish. Usually fished behind a flasher like a hoochie, but can be used multiple other ways as well. Website is grandslambucktails.com

Thanks for asking

Howard

My favorite way to fish the GSB's are to put out a spinning pole back behind the boat a ways in late fall for coho in the Strait and fish them right on the surface. They just hammer those things and the fight is unreal!

Thanks for the real Howard Ill check out your site Ill most likely buy some I love buck tailing for coho thats all my dad and I did for years super fun watching them grab them off the top on a fly rod !!!!

What a great start to the season ! The weather was great allowing us to get offshore to the fish every day.
Salmon fishing is excellent with most of our fish being caught at the outside corner of the highway. We had our first Tyee of the year hooked at 170 feet down, caught on a green glow flasher with matching teaser head and herring. Jelly fish hoochies and Skinny G no bananas color spoons have also been catching fish. Flasher colors of glow green, and purple glow have been top producers. Most fish at the highway are being caught from 100-180 feet. First thing in the morning the fish have been in the shallower part of the water column and dropping down as the day goes on.
Halibut fishing is excellent as well. My first day started with a 64,60 and 45 pound fish for my 3 guests. Mackerel and sardines have been the top baits. Salmon bellies are working as well, but the dog fish tend to zone in on them more than the other. The halibut bite has definitely been around the tide change. Smaller fish are biting off the tide, but the larger fish are definitely being caught in the hour or so around the slack water.

RO Tyee.jpg

Ro J8.jpg

What a great start to the season ! The weather was great allowing us to get offshore to the fish every day.
Salmon fishing is excellent with most of our fish being caught at the outside corner of the highway. We had our first Tyee of the year hooked at 170 feet down, caught on a green glow flasher with matching teaser head and herring. Jelly fish hoochies and Skinny G no bananas color spoons have also been catching fish. Flasher colors of glow green, and purple glow have been top producers. Most fish at the highway are being caught from 100-180 feet. First thing in the morning the fish have been in the shallower part of the water column and dropping down as the day goes on.
Halibut fishing is excellent as well. My first day started with a 64,60 and 45 pound fish for my 3 guests. Mackerel and sardines have been the top baits. Salmon bellies are working as well, but the dog fish tend to zone in on them more than the other. The halibut bite has definitely been around the tide change. Smaller fish are biting off the tide, but the larger fish are definitely being caught in the hour or so around the slack water.

View attachment 33668

View attachment 33669
Nice report. Thank you!

View attachment 33668

View attachment 33669
how are the pyrosomes at the 50 fathom edge and shallower?

I will be staying out of moutcha bay next week, for a few nights, and was wondering how far to the hwy from lets say the lighthouse. Is a guy looking for a certain depth to be deemed the highway?

50 fathom contour

Approx 2 miles seaward of the red can on outer Bajo. It is a long way!!! Seems much farther than other spots but it is not as necessary IMHO to go to 50 fathoms there. Bajo reef pushes out and unnaturally pushes the deeper water off-shore. I would argue that fishing 150 to 200 ft off the outer can at Bajo does the trick and often just beyond the red can. It is a major disaster to travel there and the fish are nowhere to be seen-you have gone by some really productive waters. Best to get some intel before you go cause you could waste a precious morning bite--tons of gas and for no enchilada--my 2 cents

Agree with SF. Bajo and right around the can is pretty damn productive. I consider it a pretty special experience anytime I can get out there. I'd guess I limit out most times I go out there on clean/silver southbound fish. Last July, around the 16th, on a really rough day, three of us had our limits in an hour and a half. All 18-22 lb fish. Lost just as many due to conditions. Not sure anyone needs to go to the highway although when you're dialled in out there it seems like there might be bigger fish. Just my view.

I will be staying out of moutcha bay next week, for a few nights, and was wondering how far to the hwy from lets say the lighthouse. Is a guy looking for a certain depth to be deemed the highway?
The highway just a general strip of water from cans out to 50 fathom line. It contains many spots within it. The T, pinnacles, onion, boneyard etc.

I'll be at Moutcha bay in a yurt for 12 days starting Thursday night sounds like some fish are starting to show up in bigger sizes and numbers, I agree with pescador and spring fever red can and out can be most productive along with some Certain spots

Thnks guys for the intel. Greenhornet, im in a red 23 ft hewes hardtop. What kind of boat are you in? I might chew your ear for suggestions, while im there. I will be there 19th thru 22nd next week. One more question. I have bought charts for area, but is red can an obvious landmark. I have also read tens of times over the info spring fever supplied to salmon university. Thx again.

Back