2017 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Was out with wife and kids last night, awesome weather and water conditions. First time fishing French Creek in about 20 years, and first time fishing this year. Landed 6, kept 5, nothing to big, most around the 8-9lb range with one coming in around the 12-13lb mark. Every single fish was a white chinook and female. Most had 6-7inch herring in them and all were caught 190' on a 3.5" Silver Horde spoon, chartuse/silver/green.

Might do it again tonight

Regards

Fishyboy

Out yesterday off F.C. with S.O.
Algae/slime almost non-existent now.
4 pm:- 11 and 10 lb'er---200ft in 210ft of water---inshore. "602" Hoochy and Purple Haze flashers.
6pm:- 16lb'er----160ft in 230ft of water....inshore. Green and pink glow cuttlefish hoochy....Gold/Yellowish Green/Glow flasher.

Caught some smaller ones at different times that went back . Also had a couple double-headers.
Fish seemed deep until about 6pm.

Nice idyllic 'fishing' day. No wind. Calm. Sunny.
Big herring in the stomachs.

Lots of boats out. Ramp was packed and busy.
IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_1402.JPG Hit low slack this afternoon and had a ton of fun! Had a couple double headers and limited out in about an hr and a half as well as both of us losing a couple screamers. Right at the small hump with the rods @ 170&180', all fish taken on the 602 hoochie again. Biggest was 15 and all packed with large herring.

Was out both Saturday night and Sunday night. Lots of fish at various depths. Our biggest was a 22 off the Eaglecrest hump in 220'. 602 hootchie. Also had a high teen on a green Sitka needlefish. I think you can put out anything and catch fish on the tide changes. Lots of bait around (5-7" herring) and my friends fishing bait outfished us. Real nice surface bait off the creek at dusk...great to see it back on locally.

Do you need a fishing partner? Have experience, own tackle and lots of time either French Creek or Bamfield area. If interested, drop me a line: jracz@shaw.ca and we can do a coffee and have a chat.

Thanks

Hit low slack this mornin and only managed one barely keeper @ 115' outside of the humps, saw a few boats comin in as I was heading out so not sure if the bite was on earlier. Lots of weed over the humps, lots of logs as well so keep an eye out. Had both rods running the 602 hoochie this morning

Out for the low slack too this morning. Bonked a 21 and 10 lber and released 1/2 dozen smaller fish. Too much wind and weeds outside so we fished the beach in 175'. Found a couple of bait balls and circled around them at tide change. Green and white old school hootchie was our best gear. It was a cold wind this morning.

the 602 hooch is it a glow ? thx

Yes. It is.I was talking to a guy that works at Harb Chan yesterday. Said he fished the Serauxmen derby ( he was out front of FC) and used Three Inch Tomic 602 plugs and did very well on those too. Hopefully he measured right. Three inch plug seems a tad small to me. I could see using a four inch.
IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

602-glows.jpg

Last edited:
I was out for high slack but never got a sniff till 6:30, just out front of the marina @135' in 200'. Managed one 9lber on the 602 hoochie and released a couple undersize. Stayed out till 9:00 but never even got a hit the rest of the night.

Back