2017 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Was going again for us today, though our landing ratio was brutal. Lost 4 springs well over 20lbs. Still managed these, biggest was 22lbs. Anchovies at the river.

Attachments

• IMG_20170825_192845_633.jpg
    IMG_20170825_192845_633.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 177
IMG_2503.JPG Went up to the little Q for high slack in the morning 1 keeper coho lost one and 1 under size spring so we went to the humps from 10-1130 and nothing but a couple of shakers
So went jigging and hammered 2 large lingers

Bite slowed down today, partially because I was down to fishing one rod thsnks to some rookie mistakes costing me my last cannon ball. Still managed three nice ones biggest at 23lbs. Tons of little shakers kept us busy today. Water was flat and sun was shinning. Anchovies at the river.

Attachments

• IMG_20170828_165516_550.jpg
    IMG_20170828_165516_550.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 148
Bite slowed down today, partially because I was down to fishing one rod thsnks to some rookie mistakes costing me my last cannon ball. Still managed three nice ones biggest at 23lbs. Tons of little shakers kept us busy today. Water was flat and sun was shinning. Anchovies at the river.
good catch when was the bite in am or evening ?

Those were caught between 6am and 9am, but I have been getting fish pretty consistently throughout the day over the past couple weeks.

You must have the secret touch, I was out Sunday morning first thing and it seemed dead other than quite a few shakers. Well done on your catches!!

Hey Langer, I have a few things I really focus on when fishing the river mouth. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, and I totally appreciate there is an element of good fortune when fishing, but these few things have helped me be successful more often than not. I would love to hear others thoughts as well.

1. Speed. Throughout the season I always keep my speed between 2.3 and 2.9 mph, but when fishing late season it is critical to slow down and keep your speed between 2.1 and 2.4 mph.

2. Gear. Despite this being the year of the irish cream spoon, when it comes to river mouth fish the only spoons required are for eating soup:). Anchovies all the way, with a possible exception for a pink squirt with all these shakers around. When it comes to the anchovies I like medium size bait with a really wide and slow roll. Teaser head colour certainly can make a difference so play around a bit. Flasher colour is less important, but I personally like purple and gold this time of year. One other note with gear is I personally only ever fish two rods. I find three or four rods leads to far too much time with gear out of water and increases the likelihood of a tangle when you do hook a fish. I also check my gear very infrequently, even if I am fishing in weeds the gear stays in the water. The weeds will hang up on the release clip and not impact your gear and when fishing this shallow you will notice even a small shaker. Its all about more time with gear in the water.

3. Depth. Fish shallow, the deepest I ever fish at the river is 65' and I am often as shallow as 18'. I always fish within the 98' contour and I spend the majority of my time along the 65'
contour. Move around until you find fish, but when you do mark it and do tight repetitive tacks over the same spot...where there is one there will be more. ( Be sure when doing this not to cut off other boats).

4. Smell. This one goes for all year but I think its something that often gets overlooked. Whatever you do, NEVER wash your gear or bait cooler with soap! It should go without saying, but unfortunately its a practice Ive seen far too often. I go as far as to put my flashers and gear in my bait cooler while my anchovies brine over night. I also make sure as to only rinse my hands off with salt water and never put sunscreen or other scented lotions on my hands prior to or during the trip.

These are a few of the things I think are very important, but as I said I would love to hear differing opinions.

Your tips are appreciated Coyotespoon. All of the points you mention above I follow as well and in past years have done very well at the river mouth. Just couldn't find them last time out I guess.

Hey Langer, I have a few things I really focus on when fishing the river mouth. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, and I totally appreciate there is an element of good fortune when fishing, but these few things have helped me be successful more often than not. I would love to hear others thoughts as well.

1. Speed. Throughout the season I always keep my speed between 2.3 and 2.9 mph, but when fishing late season it is critical to slow down and keep your speed between 2.1 and 2.4 mph.

2. Gear. Despite this being the year of the irish cream spoon, when it comes to river mouth fish the only spoons required are for eating soup:). Anchovies all the way, with a possible exception for a pink squirt with all these shakers around. When it comes to the anchovies I like medium size bait with a really wide and slow roll. Teaser head colour certainly can make a difference so play around a bit. Flasher colour is less important, but I personally like purple and gold this time of year. One other note with gear is I personally only ever fish two rods. I find three or four rods leads to far too much time with gear out of water and increases the likelihood of a tangle when you do hook a fish. I also check my gear very infrequently, even if I am fishing in weeds the gear stays in the water. The weeds will hang up on the release clip and not impact your gear and when fishing this shallow you will notice even a small shaker. Its all about more time with gear in the water.

3. Depth. Fish shallow, the deepest I ever fish at the river is 65' and I am often as shallow as 18'. I always fish within the 98' contour and I spend the majority of my time along the 65'
contour. Move around until you find fish, but when you do mark it and do tight repetitive tacks over the same spot...where there is one there will be more. ( Be sure when doing this not to cut off other boats).

4. Smell. This one goes for all year but I think its something that often gets overlooked. Whatever you do, NEVER wash your gear or bait cooler with soap! It should go without saying, but unfortunately its a practice Ive seen far too often. I go as far as to put my flashers and gear in my bait cooler while my anchovies brine over night. I also make sure as to only rinse my hands off with salt water and never put sunscreen or other scented lotions on my hands prior to or during the trip.

These are a few of the things I think are very important, but as I said I would love to hear differing opinions.

Absolutely fish stalkers I couldn't agree more! I think I was trolling next to you the other day, I'm in an explorer 188 poded with a 150 Tammy two stroke.

Absolutely fish stalkers I couldn't agree more! I think I was trolling next to you the other day, I'm in an explorer 188 poded with a 150 Tammy two stroke.
Yes, I remember your boat. I only got one fish that day on anchovy, bloodnose glow holder at 50 feet. You know for me the river fishing changes every year. This year is the year of the anchovies, last year I got most of my fish at 90 to 100 feet on green and white spoons. The year before was pure white hoochies in shallow water. I guess that is the game of fishing. These fish should be around for awhile because of the dry weather. Heard Columbia beach to White door has been good also.

very busy at the marina today. Glad to see the harbour authority there directing traffic so no problems. didn't go out until Noon. most were coming in ; from talking to those and fisheries counter on site all fish came from out front only mostly in shallower water than normal. Did 2 hours at french creek all we got was 2 undersize springs. then hit the LQ for 3 hours till the tide change at 5. think we talked to most boats . No fish were taken from the river from am till 5 that was from the fish counter. We did have 2 hits and there were a ton of fish marking there but of the 20 or so boats 50/50 jigging and trolling. tries chovie in several heads. both hits on pink hoochies. fished between 45-70 the whole time. then back to out front french creek for the hour after tide change but nada. all the fish we saw hit were very small.

@LIVELINES and I ran across from Sechelt Friday afternoon and picked up @Powerguy at French Creek, went and fished the LQ from 5 to 7ish pm, no luck there so we went to the humps and picked up a mid teen on a 407 UV 4" tubby and released one just a bit smaller. We were around 220' down.
Saturday morning we went back to the LQ picked up a mid teen and lost 4. Small pink hoochies and homeland security spoons were the ticket. Went back to the humps and put the plugs back down picked up fish right away. Another mid teen on a 5" 212 plug and lost a heavy fish on a 5" tubby UV 602. Weather was hot and flat, and fun fishing with some buddies on that side.

Had a couple good days off LQ. Into 4 yday between about noon and 4pm. 12 to 18 lbs. Today was out early solo. Managed a double header with a failed net.... gong show... the basket slipped right off the handle when I tried pulling the fish in. Had to lunge and grab.. fish and all into the boat. Fish 2 still on the line I ended up tailing to land. Both around 18 again. Photo is from yday with the kid. And the double headers from today on the FC table. Also landed a couple in the 5 lb range released.

All on bon chovies.. 65 feet.

Attachments

• 20170902_170133.jpg
    20170902_170133.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20170903_091525.jpg
    20170903_091525.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 108
Back