2017 Nanaimo Reports

Really nice night off of Neck point tonight. Managed a coho and a 17 lb spring. Lost a screamer that turned my hook into more of an L shape. All action between 80 and 95 feet.

Really nice night off of Neck point tonight. Managed a coho and a 17 lb spring. Lost a screamer that turned my hook into more of an L shape. All action between 80 and 95 feet.
Nice to hear a good spring was caught off Nanaimo! Hopefully some new runs are coming in, how many feet of water were you getting action in? Had a couple coho hit my spoon on the surface a few days ago.

Launched the boat at 5:30 this morning. Finally found a nice spring (16lbs)off neck point around 6:30 am in 300' of water at 211' on the rigger. After that it went back to 8 " fish for the rest of the day...

Any thing with green on it was getting hits.

Forgot about the most exiting part of our day. When my buddy went to net the fish some how my islander reel and rod that didn't have the fish on got caught in the net and went over board... my buddy abondoned netting the fish and was hanging ankles up in the air and full arm in the water to retrieve it before it sunk to its final resting place...

Luckily both rod and fish made it back in the boat!

Last edited:
Found a trap trap off Entrance this morning. Number not legible. Float is a boat bumper with one end spray painted red. PM me if it's yours.

Got out for a couple hours yesterday right around tide change. Nice 7 - 8 lb Wild coho and a Pink about the same size on the first tack outside the fingers. Coho 1t 110 on Brass/silver Skinny G, pink at 99 on Irish cream. Wind scared my crew off the water so we had to head in. :(

Went out today 1-7, had a great day out there. Had about 20 of those pesky 8" fish, a couple wild coho, a 10 lb spring, and a nice orca show half way through, then after we pulled gear to head in, we were just putting away gear, and an orca came straight at the boat from about 100ft, dove, so we thought it was going under us, but came up about 30 feet from the boat(still headed at us) and turned along side us and swam past. It had to have got within 15 feet. I've seen whales out there plenty of times, but this was by far the coolest.

Last edited:
2 keepers at neck point yesterday afternoon. 54cm hatch coho @ 142 on footloose and anchovie. And, a 69 cm pink spring on supper betsy and glow hootchie.

14 lbs chinook at 6:30am today. 100 in 120 of water, right against Big Finger (Hudson Rock I beleive) on anchovy with Super Betsy flasher.
several undersize, 2 dog fish
At noon, I checked and saw only a few single fish in Departure Bay. No big gathering of pinks yet.
Not sure if the pinks are in the Habour but in the channel out of Brechin boat ramp at 6am, the sonar was full of fish which I taught could be a school of pinks.

View attachment 35156 17lb spring this evening off of big finger. Same gear and depth as last night.
Congrats. We tried last night without success. Much as I don't usually come on here to criticize, I'd like to send out a big screw you to whoever put 4 prawn pots in that spot last night with way too much line where we were all trying to fish. Besides myself I saw 2 other guys get tangled in the line.

I concur with GU and being3...I have hooked gear in traps the last two times out......huge pain in the butt.

Might as well post as I putt putt in on the kicker after main battery died, probably from checking gear so much and clearing shakers. Must have hooked a dozen anyway. Lost count. Could not get away from them. Out deep. In shallow. 79-189 on the rigger. Switched to 6-7 inch plugs and spoons to get off em.

View attachment 35228 17lbs off of fingers 110feet green flasher and spoon. Its smoky out but hopping for another tonight...
Water is dead calm... was
Out Saturday12 hrs and caught lots and lots of shakers ... nice to see they r back
Saw you come out. Nice work. I was fishing your gear and depth but no avail.

Took time out for a morning fish with my friend (his birthday). Beautiful calm sea...lighting was a little eerie. Lots of shakers. Couple of nice hits and we did boat a couple hatchery coho. Mainly off the Fingers and depths were all over the place on either side of 100'. Anchovy and cop car. Several boats out and lots seemed to be having some action. We had to leave at 12:30 pm ...too bad cuz it felt like a good bite was coming on.

Went out tonight ... big waves by the time to got out there ... went to lower by gear and noticed my down riggers were missing ... very upsetting stolen from my own back yard ... feel violated.
WTF. If you want to borrow mine for the weekend pm me.

Back