2017 Nanaimo Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Steveo

Steveo Member

My elite 5 used to loose bottom all the time out there. Also in port when the terrain got steep. I think the ping got lost on canyon walls or something. Never did get bottom over 600 feet. Got a hook 7 now. Have never lost bottom.

2. Brian Steel

Brian Steel New Member

Osprey, I had the same problem, do some research and change your transducer. You probably have a transducer meant for freshwater use, the chuck water density is higher and it wont read for $#!+, I think mine is a 50/200. Seems to work fine now. There are also some software updates available, check out the Lowrance site. some of the updates are here http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/Software-Updates/

Steveo likes this.
  3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Member

Check that the transducer is solidly connected to your boat. My HDS Elite 7 was giving me trouble, problem was it was loose.

You might have to adjust the settings for depth and clarity as mentioned above.

Good Luck,

BL

4. being3

being3 Member

IMG_5923.JPG Fished pipers bouncing Bottom and hit limit in 1hr ... 18lb white and a 7lb red ... Ive done very well over ur last few weeks same spot. Only lost one to a seal

Attached Files:

Bruce Lee and ExFlyGuy like this.
  5. ExFlyGuy

ExFlyGuy Active Member

Nice work being3. We're going to head out first thing tomorrow am!

What was the hot ticket?

6. being3

being3 Member

Green flasher and kitchen sink 4 inch spoon. I ran my depth 15 lb ball at bottom. So at 130 feet i found them ... lots of bait balls same depth just off bottom.

vanisland and ExFlyGuy like this.
  7. bones

bones Well-Known Member

At thrasher, not much. 4 shakers and a 15 white hoochie

8. vanisland

vanisland Member

Lots of boats out today, didnt see a legal fish caught let alone many small ones even, hope the summer runs come soon!!

9. being3

being3 Member

I was fishing pipers and neck caught 8lb coho and two 8lb springs ... lost a couple bigger fish at 25 yards ... was running 130-150 ft and 1/2 mile out running green flasher and spoon as well as cop car...

10. ExFlyGuy

ExFlyGuy Active Member

We were out working neck point in tight to the rocks from 6 am till noon today. We lost one big one first thing and managed one keeper coho around 5 lbs. lots of tiny fish out there... Green flahers with Irish cream and cop car were most productive. Tried a few different hoochies but they didn't get any love.

11. Chris Cunning

Chris Cunning New Member

Some big fish starting to come in...sign up for the Smokin Reels Charity Salmon Derby July15th and 16th out of Brechin boat launch. 2 days left...get tickets at Harbour Chandler, Gone Fishin, Wholesale Sports, or any Nanaimo Fire Station...over 5 grand in prizes...30 bucks a fisherman

Attached Files:

Buckethead905 likes this.
  12. being3

being3 Member

IMG_6017.JPG Picked up a decent fish this morning neck
    Point

Chris Cunning and Bruce Lee like this.
  13. being3

being3 Member

IMG_6044.JPG IMG_6046.JPG Fishing is hot right now at neck and fingers both Coho and Springs ...

Bruce Lee likes this.
  14. DayHo

DayHo New Member

Did your 15.4 hold up for the derby win? I didn't fish today but it sure looked choppy off of neck point.

15. Steveo

Steveo Member

I tried to get out there this morning. By the time I got to Hudson's rock I took two waves over the bow in my 16' double eagle. Button hooked it and headed home. Looks like I should have stuck it out.

being3 likes this.
  16. Steveo

Steveo Member

17. Chris Cunning

Chris Cunning New Member

Smokin Reels Derby Champ
    What an impressive effort he put forth...congrats!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Steveo likes this.
  18. Hourston 26

Hourston 26 Member

Hi guys,
    I'm headed over for a fish hopefully Tuesday, gonna take a buddy and his relatives from Ontario out to wet some lines. I fish sechelt side a lot but have no experience on the Nanaimo side. Can you guys help a fella out with some general areas that might fish ok for the day? Forecast seems decent for now and would really love to check out some new water if you guys would be cool having us on your side of the strait for a day! Thanks in advance.
    Paul

19. Bordeau

Bordeau Member

Way to go B3! That is also my favorite spot.
    Keep up the good work.

being3 likes this.
  20. Bordeau

Bordeau Member

Hey Paul, welcome to this side of the pond. Near Nanaimo, you can try Neck Point, Fingers Island, along Snake Island and also on the North side of Entrance Island. If you want to offer a boat rider to your guests, you can go to Trasher Rock on the other side of Gabriola. There are lots of opportunities. See you on the water.