2017 Nanaimo Reports

Went out solo last night. 2 double headers. Lost a zinger. Landed a couple 10lbers. 11/12 hits in total. Landed 6. All deep...190 to 205, about 1 km straight off big finger, near the highway. Pretty much where all the boats were. Chovie was best with green flasher of course.

This slime will move on with a tides and winds. Be careful with the the build up of that slime, apparently there are no warranties for broken rod tips because of that, just saying.

Cheers.

Yes, ditto what PapaWisky said....noticed last night the coating on the eye at the tip of my rod was gone...good way to lose a fish! Got it re-tipped today.

Make sure you check your equipment.

Headed out after work tonight. On the water at 5 pm and had our lings by 5:50! my buddy landed this nice 20 pounder! After the lings were in the boat we headed over to neckpoint humps to try for salmon. Salmon fishing was spotty at best but we managed to put two in the boat. Salmon were taken on green glow flasher with glow Irish cream spoon at 140 and 220 feet on the rigger.

Hopefully another wave of fish come through before the serauxmen derby...

EFG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Caught some shakers today but nothing worthwhile. Others seemed to be doing very well and there were limits at the ramp

Nice Fish being3. Should have zoomed out a touch and got my fish in there too.

Caught some shakers today but nothing worthwhile. Others seemed to be doing very well and there were limits at the ramp
Was that from the tide change in the morning? Cause we saw one fish netted all day out there off the fingers but we started about 9.

Was that from the tide change in the morning? Cause we saw one fish netted all day out there off the fingers but we started about 9.

Yes, I was back at the launch around 10 and saw lots of catching out there between 7 and 9. Unfortunately I was only able to find shakers.

Same morning as yesterday. Homeland security got me a nice 10 lb hatchery. Released two just legal hoping for bigger. No avail. In the deep off the fingers. 900 ft of water 119 on the rigger.

Braved the strong winds Tuesday aft that were supposed to die down and headed out for the minor bite around 1 pm. Were rewarded with 2 nice hatchery fish.20170516_132039.jpg Kitchen sink at 165' x 3/4 mile off of Five Fingers. Tough slugging in 20 knot wind. Gave up on anchovy - two hard to determine strikes. Warm once the sun came out but wind did not die down while we were out there. Still we were rewarded.

Went out yesterday evening. Got this 21 lbs down at 180 over 600 feet of water, off Fingers at 5:30pm. A few more hits after that at 140ft but nothing in the boat. There was less slime but it seemed harder to get rid of it. Nature produces very strong stuff.

Attachments

• IMAG0068.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 94
Pounded them last night. Had a dozen keepers to the boat. Ended up bonking 3 around 11-12 lbs and an 18.5 lb. Homeland security was good bit chovies way out produced. 99-119 on the rigger in 600-700 feet of water. Crazy good fishing this year!

Back