2017 Nanaimo Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2017.

1. treblig

treblig Active Member

We never got a sniff with the current. The ball weight I actually don't know as it was my buddies boat. Guessing I would say ten pounds . It was at a good angle the down riggers.

2. treblig

treblig Active Member

Lots of salmon out there. my buddy went out without me as I have to still make a living BOOOOOOOO .

He did well on green hootchies and the pink sink spoon

20170428_151733.jpg

3. adrian1991

adrian1991 Active Member

Went out tonight at 5 and tested the new net out.
    We fished a bit away from the pack in 600ft of water limited out in an hour and 15mins
    All in the low teens largest was 13lb 6 oz

The slime was thick out today .
    spoons and plugs green colour

Attached Files:

4. Buckethead905

Buckethead905 Member

With 15lbs of lead you should be right around 2.1mph SOG against current and around 3.1mph SOG with the current. Hookup rates going with the current have been significantly better for us..

Salted likes this.
  5. seadog19

seadog19 Member

brechin ramp has been packed all weekend, especially sunday with decent weather, the creel observer said numerous fish caught since Friday when he showed up. I saw quite a few boats at the ramp with 2-4 decent fish..

6. albernifisher

albernifisher Well-Known Member

Pretty lights out fishing out there right now. We were into 14 fish this morning and seemed like anything green was working. Nothing huge for us all between 7=12 lbs

adrian1991 and fishin solo like this.
  7. Chinook45

Chinook45 New Member

Got 4 today 120-160 on bait. Lost another 4. Only one undersize today. Largest about 12. All white or marbled. The fish seem to be very immature. Does anyone have a theory as to where the majority of these fish are heading to? All of ours were unclipped. How old are they most likley to be at 10-12 lbs with no sign of maturing eggs or sperm? Thanks. All had 4-6 inch herring in them.

8. finaddict

finaddict Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the majority of these fish are resident winter springs that are from the puget sound, harrison and/or vedder. They are in their second year and have reached the age where they are big enough to venture away form the bottom (where they spend their first years eating needle fish) and are now looking for larger groceries (i.e. herring).

9. Chinook45

Chinook45 New Member

OK, Thanks. Reasonable to assume then that these fish might be around for a while - assuming groceries are available....

10. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

Good day in Nanaimo yesterday.... lots of shorts .. weeded through them & found some nicer one in the afternoon.... the Guys from Normark enjoyed the afternoon as well...

20170430_182305.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Burban, Bruce Lee, Discus and 2 others like this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Active Member

Quick question. Has the evening fishing been as good as the morning fishing out in the deep water areas? Just curious if it makes a difference in these feeders.

12. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

what we saw yesterday was a good early bite and we have a good evening bite ... spotie in-between but we were still finding fish

13. finaddict

Yep, its all about the groceries. As long as the herring are available they will probably stick around.

14. finaddict

Brought over a few guys from my PMOHA (Port Moody Oldtimers Hockey Association) championship team with the cup in tow. Great nights at the firepit and tough mornings.

Had 3 boats put in a tough day on Saturday and all 3 got into fish, biggest was (maybe) 12. Sunday was a little better for volume, but mostly legals.

Friday with the Gary MacKenzie memorial cup
    IMG-20170429-WA0012.jpg

.facebook_1493647958874.jpg

Saturday early morning before the storm

IMG_6519.JPG

unnamed (8).jpg

Sunday was nicer
    IMG-20170430-WA0004.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Reeltime, Bruce Lee, Derby and 4 others like this.
  15. Dorman Point

Dorman Point Active Member

That's the best-looking bzzr league trophy I've ever seen!

Bruce Lee likes this.
  16. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Member

Late report but anyway -

Out Monday from 3 until 6:30, got 2 just under and a 12-13lb red close to the fingers, 180 ft on rigger in 300 ft of water, irish cream spoon. Lots of slime and crap in the water. Anyone know how long the slime stays around?

17. photocopy

photocopy Member

Headed out tommorow any recent reports on where the action is?

18. Bigdogg

Bigdogg Member

Out at the fingers this morning. Fishing was stellar. Got our 6 spring limit and also went and got are lingcod limit. What a day.

fishin solo likes this.
  19. vanisland

vanisland Member

Well done, how deep were you finding the springs at? Found they have been all over the depth range from 75' to 200+.

20. Madmax

Madmax New Member

Went out 430ish Thursday afternoon, lots of boats out there, fished further off the fingers as others had suggested for an hour and a bit....no luck. Moved closer, I brought one in about 615, then we had a double header at 645 , managed to land them both ! Called it a night at 730, came in with 3 fish, didn't weigh them but they were between 68 and 77 cm.

I used green glow, my buddy pink sink, 125-130 ft.

Bruce Lee likes this.