2017 Fraser Chinook Escapement Comparison

High Time

Crew Member
For those that think this years Fraser chinook return is not in trouble and are still coming....
Chinook_Escapement-Compared_to_25_year_average.JPG

And yet we're still fishing them, without any change to the limits... Our neighbours to the north made a great decision. As tough as it would be, we should reduce our take when there are signs of fish returns being this poor.

The closure of the alaskan season was done after their season had already run full bore. Fish will saved no doubt but VERY pointless as most of the fish have passed through at that time!
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html
This 32 hr opening as well the 8hr openings should be a bloodbath with how low the Fraser is.

These are the openings since the winter that are helping the Fraser salmon stocks.
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes_Previous.html

With the FN not LEGALLY allowed to get their allocation of sockeye this season, expect them to absolutely wipe out the South Thompson Chinook stocks on the Fraser over the next 8weeks.
Not to mention all the sockeye, early Coho, pinks and almost extinct interior steelhead that will be netted and killed as bycatch.

I'm all for closures, but pretty pointless when anything that swims in the river gets wiped out by nets.

Last edited:
And yet we're still fishing them, without any change to the limits... Our neighbours to the north made a great decision. As tough as it would be, we should reduce our take when there are signs of fish returns being this poor.

Be careful what you ask for. Alaska over harvested totally different situation. The south island also is severely restricted already as well as many corridors into Fraser.

because of the warm water blob that formed in 2015 and finally dissipated in 2016, They don't expect salmon numbers to get better too 2019-2020. Id take an 8 year coastal wide closure if it meant great numbers in the future but i'm young. Then again I also never got to experience the glory years of wackem and stackem.

However from what I have also read they don't think that fisheries are effecting the return rate as ocean survival rates have dropped from 10% to 1-2%. Hatcheries made economically sense at a 10% return rate at a 2-1% return rate all they serve is education for kids.

Also Like whitebuck said gillnets are killer, FN are legally allowed to keep anything that is gilled. Some of them tie little strings in their net opening assure their catch will be gilled.

Best thing you can do as a fishermen is get involved with salmon restoration or donate. Keep this thread civil! some others have gone off the rails!

Gotta say, I don't go much on when ppl are on here talking about how they want DFO to reduce/eliminate the Rec guys limits. I'll admit I haven't seen the raw data on how much we take, but I would be fairly certain there are much more effective ways of giving them a break.

What I know about how our fishery is managed is that these spineless pukes will love an easy opportunity to "look" like they are trying to improve run returns, keep talking on here like we all will agree to less limits and that's what will happen, all the while the main offenders will be let lose still.

Well your issues mimic ours down south. Between our indians and yours, as well as the huge Alaska haul on a rebounding stock everywhere, I bet if will be a few years before we see decent numbers. The blob hit hard and the gamies everywhere should have reduced the commies take everywhere. AK smashed WA, and Can. stocks and then closed shop because their own stocks went to sh^t. I decided to have a kid so I guess by the time he is old enough to come with dad by himself it either will be excellent or we will be playing in the the sand. Like someone on another forum stated. Ak should have to wait for their own returns and layoff our stocks.

Back