2017 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Out fishing in the derby today so will be cryptic in my report. Lots of fish this morn but no size for us. Sun is shining tho!

We checked out the Investor Group Saltwater Showdown yesterday at the Comox Marina Weigh-in. Some good fish came in, we left before the final fish were weighed, but the largest spring at the time was 21 lb and change. Curious what the winner was? Some awesome prizes with a 9.9 hp yammie being drawn for a door prize. Fish were caught all over Grants reef, east Hornby Island, Kitty Coleman Hump, and Coho Pt. Barbecued hamburgers were part of the fund raiser, local marine search and rescue were doing the cooking, but got called out for a Mayday. New water park right beside the weigh-in station was a big hit for the kids too. The hidden weight was 10.7 lb and someone nailed that slot with a spring I believe. A large ling was holding the non-salmon slot, I think it was a 21 pounder. Some red snappers got weighed too. Good turn-out I believe and a big Thank-You to all the sponsors and Volunteers!!

Fished grants yesterday morning before the wind. Lost a keeper at the boat lots of feeder springs and 8" coho next years fish I presume. All the action came on flasher and herring aid spoon 240'.

Fished Grants thurs afternoon, no bait showing-- fished it very deep with plugs and spoons but only shakers and 1 big yelloweye Beautiful day with my good wife and a whole pile of snacks--don't get to relax like that when my regular crew fish the WCVI

Fished off of Pt Holmes tonight and caught two nice springs, a 12 and a 16 lb. Great evening on the water. Both in 60 feet one from the bottom and the other at 35 feet. Anchovy and cop car spoon worked.
Lots of boats out there.

Fished off of Pt Holmes tonight and caught two nice springs, a 12 and a 16 lb. Great evening on the water. Both in 60 feet one from the bottom and the other at 35 feet. Anchovy and cop car spoon worked.
Lots of boats out there.
Good job. Any bait around ?

had a week at hornby and it looks like things have cooled off. Tons of bait around and managed to find fish but nothing over 10lbs for me. Had a screamer on at one point but decided to spit the hook.

Great season and will be back to fishing Vic until next summer. tight lines

dfrase

Fished Kitty this evening with lots of Dogs and shakers--while fishing was poor--crabbing looks set to improve!! LOL
SF.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for an inaugural derby at Comox I thought it was extremely well organized and attended. Kudos to all of the volunteer organizers and sponsors who made it such a great event. The prizes were awesome. Trip for 2 to Langara for the winning spring (around 22 gutted and gilled and 27lbs prior) so a great fish that was caught at Grants. A small coho of around 4.5 lbs won biggest coho prize and a ling of around 25lbs ended up winning biggest groundfish. They had about a dozen buckets full of swag for raffle prizes and tons of other great prizes as well. Really just an awesome effort to get all of that put together and as stated below the water park was a hit for the kids. We fished Grants most of the day and were busy in the morning but couldn't find a fish over 13 lbs or so. Will be back again next year!

We checked out the Investor Group Saltwater Showdown yesterday at the Comox Marina Weigh-in. Some good fish came in, we left before the final fish were weighed, but the largest spring at the time was 21 lb and change. Curious what the winner was? Some awesome prizes with a 9.9 hp yammie being drawn for a door prize. Fish were caught all over Grants reef, east Hornby Island, Kitty Coleman Hump, and Coho Pt. Barbecued hamburgers were part of the fund raiser, local marine search and rescue were doing the cooking, but got called out for a Mayday. New water park right beside the weigh-in station was a big hit for the kids too. The hidden weight was 10.7 lb and someone nailed that slot with a spring I believe. A large ling was holding the non-salmon slot, I think it was a 21 pounder. Some red snappers got weighed too. Good turn-out I believe and a big Thank-You to all the sponsors and Volunteers!!

Fished Cape Lazo last night with my dear lady, Beautiful night, bait all over the place. She booted a nice one because she " couldn't feel the fish" on her counter equipped level wind reel with matching Talavera rod (bought specially for her) ! LOL Not my suggestion but she wants the 10'6" technium with the Islander and procedes to land 3 nice fish to 14 lbs. She allows that this is what she should have had all along!! Being an OLD and semi-smart husband I completely agree and suggest she could keep the level-wind for jigging and I will get another Islander for her!! She must have had a great time because "she thought that was a good idea" Sooooo young fella's Take a note out of an old guys book--old age and treachery can sometimes overcome wifely reasoning!! Shopping on-line this morning before she gets up!! LOL
Fish were at 35 ft in 50 to 60 ft of water-small bait =small spoons and hootchys

Fished Cape Lazo last night with my dear lady, Beautiful night, bait all over the place. She booted a nice one because she " couldn't feel the fish" on her counter equipped level wind reel with matching Talavera rod (bought specially for her) ! LOL Not my suggestion but she wants the 10'6" technium with the Islander and procedes to land 3 nice fish to 14 lbs. She allows that this is what she should have had all along!! Being an OLD and semi-smart husband I completely agree and suggest she could keep the level-wind for jigging and I will get another Islander for her!! She must have had a great time because "she thought that was a good idea" Sooooo young fella's Take a note out of an old guys book--old age and treachery can sometimes overcome wifely reasoning!! Shopping on-line this morning before she gets up!! LOL
Fish were at 35 ft in 50 to 60 ft of water-small bait =small spoons and hootchys
LMAO...... Ok wise old owl how do I get a new boat ???????

LMAO...... Ok wise old owl how do I get a new boat ???????
Fish a nice calm spot with great scenery. Let your wife reel in all the fish. Be positive. Take time to stop and look at deer and bears and whales. While crossing the windy bit on the way back to camp as the sun is setting, take a green wave over the bow.

Fish a nice calm spot with great scenery. Let your wife reel in all the fish. Be positive. Take time to stop and look at deer and bears and whales. While crossing the windy bit on the way back to camp as the sun is setting, take a green wave over the bow.
Nice!! Very nice!!!

Quarter your boat into the waves and make sure she gets nailed with a few green ones until gets good and drenched.Then while she sits there shivering profusely, that's when you subtly say,
"Sorry honey what a terrible way to ruin a perfect day spent with the love of my life. You know,this wouldn't have happened if we had a boat with an Alaskan hardtop."

Nice!! Very nice!!!

Great plan, however .... don't do it with a bowrider. Wife insisted the boat was sold shortly thereafter to pay for a new kitchen floor. Took a few years to get back on the water.
As usual, convincing wives of boating value requires a keen sense of timing...good luck!

Need help.
Taking a friend from Newfoundland fishing tomorrow.
Are there any fish around?
Not fussy Pinks Coho, Chums?
Yes-- while Its been a few days since I have been on the water, you can expect coho and feeder springs . Try trolling inside the Comox Bar and off Cape Lazo near the cardinal buoys .. 40 to 80 feet with a glow green coyote 3-4 ' spoon. As far as getting a feed of excellent eaters. I suggest bottom jigging for sole and flounders off Lazo in 40- 70 feet. Small BuzzBombs or other jigs work well as long as you keep them on the bottom. Might get a legal ling inside the buoy too. Good luck-- I hope you do well as those poor SOBs on the East Coast are getting royally screwed by DFO and the commercial that keep them off decent fishing opportunities.

Might even try dropping a couple of crab traps inside the bar too.

Back