2017 Campbell River Reports

Fished CR hump friday am for a few hours.....No luck....no bait! Fished Sentry Shoals yesterday and picked up one small spring.....I did not see any bait there either!
Beauty day on the water.

We dropped some prawn traps at Twin on our way to Lewis Channel.
Lots of boats at Lewis for the end of the ebb.
Heard lots of (mis)information - did not see too many nets.

Had an epic half hour right off the hop, when a brand new rod exploded on the first strike.
Cut the main line and everything.
As my fishing buddy and me stared at each other wondering if that just happened, a gust of wind turned the boat and the downrigger line made it into the prop guard.
Hell of a way to start our first 'fishing' day of the licence season.

Luckily we had enough gear to get back to fishing and nailed a double header within an hour. Landed both.
Redeemed, we picked up enough prawns for a healthy dinner.
Great day to be on the water!

Had an epic half hour right off the hop, when a brand new rod exploded on the first strike.
As my fishing buddy and me stared at each other wondering if that just happened, a gust of wind turned the boat and the downrigger line made it into the prop guard.

Luckily we had enough gear to get back to fishing and nailed a double header within an hour. Landed both.
Nice report, had me smiling. Good day on the water.

Sounds like a "gong show"

Fished the quadra hump for the high tide this morning. No salmon only one keeper ling. Not to much algae on the hump, but lots of salad!

Really glad to hear that some bait is showing up.
Can anyone help with some information about prawning can we drop traps anywhere, is there a particular type of bottom structure to look for, if for instance we wanted to fish around shelter point could we drop traps there for a few hours or are we just wasting effort....any help would be appreciated.

Fish box:
Used to be decent prawning at and around Francisco point in about 300-350 feet of water. That has been decimated to the point of embarrassment. Might get enough for a shrimp cocktail if you're lucky. The ledge at shelter point dives off into very deep water pretty quick; it's very tidal and you will probably lose your gear. It's also very rocky and it could tear up the mesh in your trap real easily if they moved on you.

Fish box:
Used to be decent prawning at and around Francisco point in about 300-350 feet of water. That has been decimated to the point of embarrassment. Might get enough for a shrimp cocktail if you're lucky. The ledge at shelter point dives off into very deep water pretty quick; it's very tidal and you will probably lose your gear. It's also very rocky and it could tear up the mesh in your trap real easily if they moved on you.
Ok thanks for the info RiverBoy.... so maybe an area like Kitty Coleman hump where we might fish for a day could be easier on the gear.

At Shelter there is also barge traffic you would not get your traps up in time the depth at where you drop your traps does drop right off at Kitty no one prawns maybe no prawns and you would be in the way off the salmon fishers if you were on the hump which is around 200 to 250 feet you could go to 350 feet prawn depth around here you could try but back side of Quadra is your best bet locally.
T

Fished from Bates beach up to North side of Shelter Point this afternoon. We ended up with five undersized, one of which was so close to a keeper we almost cried. Anywhere from 175' down to 245' on the riggers in 250' - 350' of water. Blue and gold splatterback hootchie and Army Truck behind green flashers. Army truck seemed to get the bigger fish but the blue and gold definately saw more action, but with lighter takes and smaller fish. We probably missed four on that rod over the course of the day.

Fished the green can yesterday evening. Managed one 12 lb spring and one miss, not sure what it was. A few bait balls hanging around. Tried sunset pass over the hump only to catch and release an undersized lingcod. Can't complain about the weather.

Back