2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Just back from Bamfield, 3 nights 2 boats 5 people. Ran the canal and stopped at China creek for an or so and picked up some sockeye. Bad choice as the canal was nasty running down in the afternoon...1 spring off the wall the first night to top it off. Day 2 fished Kirby then the wall. 12 fish between the boats mostly springs up to 22 a few coho and a few sockeye. Day 2 Beale/ whittle stone hunting some bigger fish but didn't happen . 4 spring 4 coho. Fished 4 hours off Kirby again this am and quickly hit 6 smaller spring 6-12 lbs and took off when one boat hit their possession limit. Stopped again at China Creek for 20 minutes to top off all the fishing with another sockeye. 26 fish taken home between the 2 boats with more lost and many many shakers. Biggest spring at 22 a few mid teens and rest 8-12 with one smaller bleeder.
Hot lure was the skinny G no bananas in my boat and outfitter spoon in the other. Shakers included that skinny g had at least 50 fish on, Springs coho and even 2 sockeye. Had a blast up there going to sleep well tonight!!

Just back from Bamfield, 3 nights 2 boats 5 people. Ran the canal and stopped at China creek for an or so and picked up some sockeye. Bad choice as the canal was nasty running down in the afternoon...1 spring off the wall the first night to top it off. Day 2 fished Kirby then the wall. 12 fish between the boats mostly springs up to 22 a few coho and a few sockeye. Day 2 Beale/ whittle stone hunting some bigger fish but didn't happen . 4 spring 4 coho. Fished 4 hours off Kirby again this am and quickly hit 6 smaller spring 6-12 lbs and took off when one boat hit their possession limit. Stopped again at China Creek for 20 minutes to top off all the fishing with another sockeye. 26 fish taken home between the 2 boats with more lost and many many shakers. Biggest spring at 22 a few mid teens and rest 8-12 with one smaller bleeder.
Hot lure was the skinny G no bananas in my boat and outfitter spoon in the other. Shakers included that skinny g had at least 50 fish on, Springs coho and even 2 sockeye. Had a blast up there going to sleep well tonight!!

U say u killed 26 fish were they all salmon? Cause the last time I checked your allowed a total possession of 4 salmon per person.. Which means 5 X 4 = 20.. So as much as I enjoyed your report maybe double check the regs on your next excursion!!!

My bad Jama, that would be 4 springs in possession with a 8 salmon limit.. i should be the one reading the regs.. Glad u had a great trip.

Fished Bamfield Jul 3-5. Got 2 Hali (inshore) 30 and 50. Fished off shore ( banks) limited out on Bass and lings, nice size nothing huge. Fished China Creek on way back for 2 days, 17sockeye and headed home ( hint: use plain black hooks), Had great weather.. Good week I say.

Hey
I'm heading to Bamfield for 3 days. Where do you fish hali inshore?
Thanks
Stosh

That's a big area. Have seen a hali pulled from near Swale one summer a few years ago. Guess I'll just have to do some searching.
Thanks
Stosh

Fished Cree ... shakers ... picked up a 18# later on at Cree, tried Kirby with nothing but shakers again. Skinny G had the most action.

Fished the sound again today, slow. Tried Cree , Kirby , Beale and nothing but shakers . Managed to get into a few coho and small springs at diplock, along side the whales.

Just got back from four days in Bamfield . The trip had a rocky start with 15 KM out of Bamfield a pick up truck came around the corner, in our lane. Split second decision I put the truck in the ditch!!!! The boat trailer went right up on one wheel I thought we're going to flip the boat. Scary as hell . We came out of it, with only some minor damage like a bent prop and damaged battery. The boat also leaks a little bit more now than it ever used to. Probably because we ripped the runner right of the trailer. What really pisses me off is the guy didn't even stop. Cheers to the Marine shop in town that fixed our prop right away so we could get our trip underway. Thanks again to Mckay bay Lodge that helped us out with the trailer repair. Talking to the locals at the boat launch they said the fishing was terrible, and they were right. We fished the Wall, Kirby, Wittlestone and down by Seabird. Only one spring hooked, but we lost it when he swam right into the Prop. Fortunately there was some good cod fishing on the outside so we didn't go home empty-handed. As mentioned before in the reports by "Derby" The Bait is really small. And by small we mean inch half. Thanks again for those tiny hoochies Derby. We didn't catch anything on them but it gives you confidence knowing you got the gear dialled in. Many lessons learned this trip . Next year will be buying a bigger boat and motor down the canal. Still had fun and met some great people. As for fishing .....everyone said don't waste your time until mid August.

Great meeting u guys up there.... A slow slug on the inside but over the last 2 days was able to hook in to 5 good fish to 20lbs on the little Yamashita hoochies and the Jensen needle fish spoon..,.. Big bank has gone off the last 2 days :) :)

Beale has been good first thing...small lure and bait.. or should I say we call it Cape Seal theses days... :(
You too, those phuckers are so bad this year it is nuts. Hit 4 big springs Monday first thing, 2 in the mid twenties, 2 in the mid thirties and a hog well into the forties, 2 ft from the fricking net and gone took all four fish in a row, then a double header 20-25 we got the 20 and the prick took the other, 5 gone in a day a new record for me one that i am not proud of. Derby can't we address this at the winter meetings something has to be done :(

You too, those phuckers are so bad this year it is nuts. Hit 4 big springs Monday first thing, 2 in the mid twenties, 2 in the mid thirties and a hog well into the forties, 2 ft from the fricking net and gone took all four fish in a row, then a double header 20-25 we got the 20 and the prick took the other, 5 gone in a day a new record for me one that i am not proud of. Derby can't we address this at the winter meetings something has to be done :(

That's awfully nice of you to feed Mr Whiskers ;)

Back