2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Just a quick word on the road condition... Back from Poett Nook today, road is a disaster... It could change overnight, with the help of some graders....

the Dungies have moved to the deeper water now sean..had dfo looking at it this week.. the green crabs have to go...

Back today (Sunday), road is fair some good sections then some jagged rocky patches so be careful. Fishing was solid, springs from 13 to 23, coho hitting off Sanford. Picked a 30 lb Hali inside on an army truck anchovy teaser, baby! Total fluke but I will take it! Different things were working for different boats...anchovy teasers, green/silver coyote spoons in one boat slayed, in another it was white hootchie all day long. One of the springs I opened up had small 3 inch sized squid in it so......
I found the bite was sporadic but when it was on it was go time. Shallow, 20-30 ft for me. Coho were nice size, 10 ish.
Heading back Thursday. Ciao for now!

3 Day trip down from PA with my wife and father-in-law. Stayed at the nook. Started out Friday morning in PA and did Coulson's and lone tree. Nothing. didn't go far enough down. China Creek and below boats did well. We made it down to the sound around noon. Lunch while sight seeing and then on to the fishing. Picked up a nice 10lb Coho and a nice spring near Yankee Bay then headed back in to the nook for dinner. Saturday we trolled from Yankee bay to Bamfield and back, all day (0630-1630). Got our 6 Springs. Didn't matter what was down as we got our first fish on a white glow hoochie, next on a Cop Car spoon, then a white hoochie with orange and black tiger stripes, then on an anchovie. 4 rods out set 20' apart one side at 65' and the other at 55'. All rods hooked fish. Did the same thing Sunday morning and got another two 20# Springs. Good trip overall. Met some good people at the bunk house. Lots of fish at the tables but did hear certain places (Pill) were not producing well.

3 Day trip down from PA with my wife and father-in-law. Stayed at the nook. Started out Friday morning in PA and did Coulson's and lone tree. Nothing. didn't go far enough down. China Creek and below boats did well. We made it down to the sound around noon. Lunch while sight seeing and then on to the fishing. Picked up a nice 10lb Coho and a nice spring near Yankee Bay then headed back in to the nook for dinner. Saturday we trolled from Yankee bay to Bamfield and back, all day (0630-1630). Got our 6 Springs. Didn't matter what was down as we got our first fish on a white glow hoochie, next on a Cop Car spoon, then a white hoochie with orange and black tiger stripes, then on an anchovie. 4 rods out set 20' apart one side at 65' and the other at 55'. All rods hooked fish. Did the same thing Sunday morning and got another two 20# Springs. Good trip overall. Met some good people at the bunk house. Lots of fish at the tables but did hear certain places (Pill) were not producing well.

At ease, met you in bunkhouse Friday afternoon at the bar-b-q. We fished from outside the nook , heading to bamfield and got our 8 springs over 3 days, nothing big (biggest was 22) best action was when we got into some coho along the same route. Tried in the middle of channel, but got them in close on spring gear. Go figure! All in all great trip except gong show at ramp in port

Went Saturday eve to Monday mid day, got 4 in the high teens. Had to work for them and not a lot of consistent action around us either. Most boats had at least one or two each morning or eve, just not a cake walk. Swale and around Poetts nook for us and a second boat in our party worked pill point all of Saturday and Sunday morning but got skunked. There was one very noticeable bite a half hour before the eclipse, was unexpected but welcome.

At Ease - thanks again for the great tips and conversation at the bunkhouse over the weekend, it was awesome chatting and following your tack out there! One of those Portland folks you met wrote a pretty sweet poem after this trip that I had to share here....

There I was with my new friend Darius

The situation dire, our fate precarious.

Wind, tides, and fog, and a 6 foot swell

But 2 springs and a big coho in the well

Reckless Steve, he thought it was fun,

While Bill tried to avoid too much sun

Despite broken rods, an eclipse, fog, and ferry delays,

My fridge is full of salmon filets

I have 2 new friends, and memories of four awesome days!

Thanks again At Ease.....you made that trip even more memorable. Oh....and where's that sweet photo your wife took of us while we "dog-tailed" you? ;)

-D

Fishing was "off the hook".

Just returned from a quick 2-day trip from Port to Bamfield and back. Left Port Monday morning and fished Hunter's/Lone Tree area where I have fished for 40 years. Fishing was quite good...for everyone else around me o_O. Landed a mid-teen around 6:30 on anchovy and a dummy flasher at 35'. Then proceeded to have one more long release and at least a dozen strikes with no takes! Used the same tie up as that has proven quite successful but will now consider a stinger (at least). Eclipse was a bit of a non-event.

Ran down to Bamfield and fished Assits for awhile, There were some massive bait balls but I couldn't find the right combo. After dinner, we fished along the wall for a couple of hrs with no luck.

We only had a couple of hrs Tuesday morning so flew to Diana/Edward King where we landed another mid-teen, same anchovy and dummy flasher combo.

On the way to Port Monday morning, we heard a change in the tire sound just past the Co-op in Port. My thinking was likely brakes...deal with it after the trip. I had just installed new bearing buddies as per instructions so knew that was not an issue. Get to the Clutesi ramp where a guy drives up to me and hands me one of my trailer tires! It has sheared off the nuts completely and had ripped the entire bolt pattern on the hub to shreds. He said it came off at the Co-op s one grabbed it andd brought it back to me.

Fast forward to Tuesday am. Drove the trailer to Kal Tire on 3rd where they were fantastic. Fit me in, changed out the entire assembly, checked the other 3 tires and give then a great bill of health...phew. When I asked him about the cause, he said it was likely due to a tire that had worked its way loose and eventually tore off. He also said a very interesting thing about the new bearing buddies because I thought I had &$^%ed up with over pumping. Not the case. Anyways, he says that they see way too many tire issues with these. His preference would be to knock on the old style caps with a bead of silicone to keep water out. Your thoughts on this?

One other thing, I am now a huge fan of dummy flashers! Playing those fish with just the teaser head attached was awesome.

Planning on running the inlet to Bamfield on Saturday morning staying till Monday.

Mooring up at Seabeam with buddies who are staying in lodge.

For me not hitting it hardcore this trip but will be out and about giving usual spots a go..
hopefully if weather/wind is in our favour will give off shore a try also.

Question..other than the pub anybody have recommendations of a good place to eat in Bamfield?..boat or drive to(I will have access to a vehicle)
Thanks in advance

There is the little restaurant open for breakfast and lunch I believe.
West side has a little bistro open for about 4 hours as well as the west side store does some paninis and pizza
Things do change later in the season

I'll be staying at Seabeam this weekend, annual trip in the guest house with 3 rental boats lol.
Hoping to hit the regular spots long and hard if nessisary. Any reports wall,Whitestone,Kirby ??

Also Seabeam is for sale 1,300,000.

At Ease - thanks again for the great tips and conversation at the bunkhouse over the weekend, it was awesome chatting and following your tack out there! One of those Portland folks you met wrote a pretty sweet poem after this trip that I had to share here....

There I was with my new friend Darius

The situation dire, our fate precarious.

Wind, tides, and fog, and a 6 foot swell

But 2 springs and a big coho in the well

Reckless Steve, he thought it was fun,

While Bill tried to avoid too much sun

Despite broken rods, an eclipse, fog, and ferry delays,

My fridge is full of salmon filets

I have 2 new friends, and memories of four awesome days!

Thanks again At Ease.....you made that trip even more memorable. Oh....and where's that sweet photo your wife took of us while we "dog-tailed" you? ;)

-D

Fishing was "off the hook".

Here is the Pic. Not the best.

Attachments

• IMG_2416.JPG
    IMG_2416.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 155
Back