2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Well went out today did the same method as yesterday and 2 hits a 10 pound spring and a 10 pound coho . So will try something different tomorrow. Looks like way more fish at the tables than yesterday

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone in Bamfield has Moorage for about 3 weeks to a month for 24ft boat, will pay!
Please PM me if there is anyone with space.
Thanks

Just got here tonight (wednesday) , boat in the water by 7:00PM ... Back to the cleaning station with 2 nice chinook by 8:00 PM ... The fish have definitely started to move in the last 3 days... Most boats back with fish, and for some of them, lots of fish... Only a few guys had to do the "walk of shame" LOL ...

Just got here tonight (wednesday) , boat in the water by 7:00PM ... Back to the cleaning station with 2 nice chinook by 8:00 PM ... The fish have definitely started to move in the last 3 days... Most boats back with fish, and for some of them, lots of fish... Only a few guys had to do the "walk of shame" LOL ...
Whenever my kids would ask, "what's for dinner?" after a poor days fishing my wife would always respond, "the ravioli of shame." This became part of the family folklore.

Any updates? Thinking of doing a day trip Saturday either to the inlet or the sound.

Heard of some OK fishing the last few days, couple bites per boat or so, in the head of the inlet. White hoochies and bait. Nothing outstanding but some fish nonetheless.

road update??!!! headin in tmrw! wootchya!

Best fishing of the season happening at this time.... Lots of nice chinook from Ellis to Nanath... Upper 10's to low 20's... Something that we've been waiting for all season long.... Only drawback, tons of boats everywhere...

Just got back from the sound late Thursday night after 5 days of fishing. As noted above, there is fantastic fishing out there right now. Morning bites were a little slower for us but the afternoon and evenings were phenomenal. Caught and released a lot of springs in the 10-20 pound mark. Released all the fish that looked good to return, and kept mainly just the bleeders.....regardless of size. Best fishing was a Swale in the afternoon and evening. On a couple of the nights were were the only boat there. I highly recommend trying there between 5-8 pm. Was so good. Hope it lasts for a few more weeks. Chovy at 30-50 ft was what worked for us. Oh, and go with a dummy flasher...so much more enjoyable.

Was also super cool to see sea otters in the sound. First time I've ever seen them in Barkley and I've fished it tons over the last 10 years. Seen one at Sail Rock and one at the entrance to Julia Pass. Anyone know if they've been around long or is this new?

Get ready to not get crab anymore, lol
You're right there!! I remember not that many years ago they showed at Winter Harbour-after 2 years they showed in huge numbers and the shallow crab were gone. Now they are still there but a few at a time and we have to set over 200ft to find crab!! Eat it while you can still get it!!

Do the eat green crabs? way to many of that invaises specie in Barkley sound and they need to go... and yes the s fish are here and some reel beauties :)

No doubt the crabs and other critters will take it on the chin if they do show up in numbers, but thats how it used to be before they were nearly whipped out. More kelp beds are likely, which isn't a bad thing in my mind. Barkley definitely has an over abundance of non native crab. Be good to see them get hammered for sure.

No doubt the crabs and other critters will take it on the chin if they do show up in numbers, but thats how it used to be before they were nearly whipped out. More kelp beds are likely, which isn't a bad thing in my mind. Barkley definitely has an over abundance of non native crab. Be good to see them get hammered for sure.
Hope they like Chinese food !! LOL

Back