2016 Winter Harbour Reports

BDogeh- yeah it is a loaded question but I have to admit I prefer WH over Nootka. WH is way bigger water, more edgy and so far fewer fishermen. WH is also more weather sensitive and further away. On the plus side , crab, lots more Hali and bottom fish and more importantly to me far fewer fishermen. Your timing for WH is probably wrong-if the rains come there will be few fish around. We usually go up for what we call gentlemen's fishing around the 5th to 8th of sept chasing coho in quotsino (last trip of the year for me)-having said that if it starts raining continuously those days maybe late. WH is not a place to take lightly, takes a little study and preparation but the size of fish, more liberal application of laws(read simpler) and uncrowded conditions make it my choice. I don't mind helping guys out by pm for specifics or on here for generalities. I moved my regular fishing from Nootka about 18years ago because of what was happening there-moved back a bit more this year due to crew schedules but am going up again as soon as I get weather.

BDogeh- yeah it is a loaded question but I have to admit I prefer WH over Nootka. WH is way bigger water, more edgy and so far fewer fishermen. WH is also more weather sensitive and further away. On the plus side , crab, lots more Hali and bottom fish and more importantly to me far fewer fishermen. Your timing for WH is probably wrong-if the rains come there will be few fish around. We usually go up for what we call gentlemen's fishing around the 5th to 8th of sept chasing coho in quotsino (last trip of the year for me)-having said that if it starts raining continuously those days maybe late. WH is not a place to take lightly, takes a little study and preparation but the size of fish, more liberal application of laws(read simpler) and uncrowded conditions make it my choice. I don't mind helping guys out by pm for specifics or on here for generalities. I moved my regular fishing from Nootka about 18years ago because of what was happening there-moved back a bit more this year due to crew schedules but am going up again as soon as I get weather.

Big thank you to Spring Fever for all the advice, tips and help he provides. His advice on halibut contributed to a successful trip to WH this past week. He's absolutely correct about the challenges of WH weather and its remoteness, which is also part of its appeal, the remoteness, that is.

Did I read the regs right for halibut up there? Posession/retention is one over/one under and the under is really small, over is up to about 65 lbs? The under is so small it hardly seems worth it, maybe a 15 lber. Hope I'm missing something with that.

It's the same coast wide-one up to 133 cm (around 70lbs give or take) and 1 up 83 cm-I think around 15lbs(not sure on that though). Nothing different in Winter harbour. You might want to have a close look at the regs and see how the filleting is done -you can really screw it up if you don't know what you are about.

Did I read the regs right for halibut up there? Posession/retention is one over/one under and the under is really small, over is up to about 65 lbs? The under is so small it hardly seems worth it, maybe a 15 lber. Hope I'm missing something with that.
It's the same regs for all of BC

We were at WH on a charter a week ago, fished July 16-17-18. We were told salmon were pretty scarce, there had been three weeks since they were there in any numbers. Spent two days bottom fishing and got some good halibut - 45, 51, 52, 52 lb as well as lings and other bottom fish. However compared to past years even the bottom fishing was slow, likely a result of additional fishing pressure due to the salmon drought; the guide boats will do their damnedest to send guests home with full coolers. Then came word that salmon had moved in and so our final day was a good one. Off Lippy was the place to be, we were using white glow hootchies but everyone was catching fish that day. I boated a hard running 24 and a 22 en route to all four of us limiting out. We also got a few coho in the mix, lines in the 40-60 ft range in 150-180 ft of water. We were blessed with good weather as the swell reduced from 2 m on our first day down to barely 1 m and oily smooth on the final day. We even saw some sun.

All in all a good trip but there is fragility in the fishery. With a three week gap between runs, the guides hit the bottom fish hard and it was showing. Places that could normally be depended upon for a couple of hali and some lings were coming up dry. We moved around a lot more than normal and still didn't see the abundance of the past. Even this far from the city, the signs are there. The guide worked his butt off to get us onto fish but I was totally fed up with bottom fishing after two solid days of it. We spent an hour at the lighthouse in that time looking for salmon but that was it. I think I need to review my options re timing and location, I'm a salmon guy not a bottom basher.

Just a heads up for anyone heading that way......as of Sunday fishing seems to be pretty good. Had a call from buddies who got up there on Saturday and they buzzed me on Sunday evening. They got their limits of springs to 30+lbs.....hali I think to 45 and coho on day 1 with a I believe a few lings/rockies mixed in. Said the water was in good shape and they were getting plenty of action; don't know the area too well so their description of where they were fishing was kind of lost on me. In saying that I did recognize names of the usual places that are mentioned quite frequently in this thread.

Trying to coordinate a trip out of CH with Riverboy next week. Tides look in our favour, hope weather cooperates as well. I'm just guessing, due to the swell of eggs in the 26'er I got last week, that the springs might be peaking soon. Hoping on big slabs if this heat holds out, as rains will likely drive them to spawn. Any word on schools of Ho's moving up the sound? They at mahatta yet?

i love to count the boomstick markers in ruperts .dundas is me oppps. but seriosly give up you reports.counted one for every year of my sons birthday we caught a coho on fly up to 16 then it nerrowed.are they in yet.

i love to count the boomstick markers in ruperts .dundas is me oppps. but seriosly give up you reports.counted one for every year of my sons birthday we caught a coho on fly up to 16 then it nerrowed.are they in yet.

God doesn't even know what you said. :confused:

Winter Harbour and Rupert are a ways away. ;)

Last edited:
I want what he's smoking!!LOL

i heard the V.... main been deactivated the sink holes were getting big. I am going to make the trip tonight to see whats up there left for campping and do a fish ,i have a seat spot in the truck and will meet you in campbell for the trip .will have both my fly and spin rods and headed to henderson.

Reactions: RBL
i heard the V.... main been deactivated the sink holes were getting big. I am going to make the trip tonight to see whats up there left for campping and do a fish ,i have a seat spot in the truck and will meet you in campbell for the trip .will have both my fly and spin rods and headed to henderson.

If someone grabs their spin rod and takes the "seat spot in the truck" please post up a report. :D:D:D

Saturday arrived at the Varney dump spur ,found boulders blocking the road 500m from the landing ,and 3 deep cross ditches further towards the water.Walked to varney dump .Western took out the brow logs and sloped the whole landing with long grass everywhere, looks like a park.Seen a few V's on the water and with a close eye you could see no seal or bird on the leading edge,Coho .I cast from shore and had one on.headed back to henderson(bible camp) (now knowen as L&B's) and nothing showing.Found a bit of tidal grass at the washalawlis estuary to put up a tent ,the campsite was full 5 sites for rv's and people were turning away.sunday went by boat to the dump and found 2 ten pound coho's before the wind took charge and headed for camp ,lost my camera so i retraced my previos day steps and camera is still lost.Monday was a bust no fish showing all day,skunked. Just before dark went to L&B's and had one on and lost .Tuesday morning caught and released 4 coho and kept 2 ten pounders.crabing was slow as the spots i set so i could watch my trap wasen't my choosen regular spot . The nerrow road has many big logging trucks so be ready to hit the ditch.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBL
Fished WH Tuesday pm, 7 hours each onWednesday and Thursday and 4 hours on Friday.
Limited on cohoe - all between 8 - 12 lbs, limited on Halibut, 1 over and 7 under; 4 Lings;
4 yellow eye, 1 sea bass, and about 4 other rock fish.

No, repeat No Springs, not even one one and lost!
Two young ladies doing creel surveys, one just doing springs, who told me
not many springs being caught. Never saw any at the cleaning tables.

Did not venture much past the 50 fathom line, as water got a bit ugly later in the day.
Water was a dirty brown and visibility about 4-5 feet.

Lots and lots of Cohoe, was tempted to just catch and release, but all 4 of us turned down
that idea.

Rumor going around WH is that a trawler worked there dragging the bottom as the lings and Halibut
fishing was slow.

Back