2016 Winter Harbour Reports

Fished Tuesday/Wednesday
Slow for springs..we picked up only one and that was at Cains on anchovie in tight to kelp..no coho around
NW wind was an issue on Tuesday and made for tougher fishing off shore..run up to my usual spots out from Lippy and first rod down with hootchy on, instantly had a Hali in the boat.
Good thing this trip was about bottom fish
Hali,lings,big red snappers and yellow eyes were all caught some while trolling ,some while jigging.
Wednesday had the low swell and not much wind made for perfect jigging with lines straight down while drifting very slowly over saved way points.
Cooler of bottom fish going back with happy buddy from Cowtown
Nice meeting ronj from forum up there

How did the new engine work out?

How did the new engine work out?

Excellent thanks..Very happy with it
More hp and torque..arrr arrr arrr lol
was able to pitch up the prop for more speed at less rpm.
2 new engines on her now with the 9.9 prokicker also
Should keep me in reliable power for as long as I'm going to own her seeing she probably will be my last boat

Fished out of winter harbour for the last 8 days, bottom fishing has been great lings, Hali's yellow eye are all over, I mostly bottom fish out of brooks bay & it's been great, salmon fishing is spotty got a couple at the 50 fathom line off lawn point and a few others at the light on tide swings most in the low teens but a friend fishing with me got a 29lb spring at the light house, weather has been great

We just returned from a 5 day trip, cant complain one bit! Caught our springs everyday if not behind cains, then up at top knot! Largest being 25, a couple in the low 20s, and lots in the mid to high teens. Limited on our Hali's, one at 133cm, 2 at 126cm, and the rest between 17 and 35 lbs. limited on our lings , 5 guys, 15 per day. (2 day position) Largest was 31 lbs, one at 25lb, two at 23lbs, and the rest between 13 and 18 lbs. snapper were overly plentiful as well. We landed 7 coho from 7 to 10.1 lbs. fantastic trip, and wonderful accommodations as we stayed with Phil and Pat Wainwright, at Cape Scott Winter Harbour Cottages. Hope this is helpful to anyone heading that way in the near future. We are looking forward to our next trip back there in September.

Three weeks to go... it'll be nice to get back.

Looking to catch some grey cod in the area. Can anyone help me out and offer some info where a guy could go to find some? Thanks

We just returned from a 5 day trip, cant complain one bit! Caught our springs everyday if not behind cains, then up at top knot! Largest being 25, a couple in the low 20s, and lots in the mid to high teens. Limited on our Hali's, one at 133cm, 2 at 126cm, and the rest between 17 and 35 lbs. limited on our lings , 5 guys, 15 per day. (2 day position) Largest was 31 lbs, one at 25lb, two at 23lbs, and the rest between 13 and 18 lbs. snapper were overly plentiful as well. We landed 7 coho from 7 to 10.1 lbs. fantastic trip, and wonderful accommodations as we stayed with Phil and Pat Wainwright, at Cape Scott Winter Harbour Cottages. Hope this is helpful to anyone heading that way in the near future. We are looking forward to our next trip back there in September.

We were there the same time and saw you guys on the water.
Had a tough time with springs but we fished mostly down south.
What depth did you get your springs at?
No problem with lings and halis.

We were there the same time and saw you guys on the water.
Had a tough time with springs but we fished mostly down south.
What depth did you get your springs at?
No problem with lings and halis.

Good to hear you did well on your bottom fish! We seemed to hit most of our springs from 140 to 210 ft. Chovies in teaser heads seemed to be the best bet, however the army truck hooch behind the purple crush or haze flasher was very productive as well. Several double headers, and two triple headers.

The Spring Fever Flying Circus and Gong show will be off Kain Island by 1400 wed thru fri evening. Green and white Orca-listen on ch 6-I share info .
Report Sat evening good or bad!!

Look forward to hearing you're report spring fever, I'll be back July,7th I have a 24' sea west with twin 150 yammy's and my trailor is across from the recycle station where the old school was , drop by any time for a chat I've fished out of winters for almost 20 years or call me @ e3m3 on channel #6, I will always give a honest fishing report

We'll be in WH Thursday night fishing Fri, Sat, Sun. Fishing out of a campion 190 CC. Haven't fished WH since I worked there in '92. I was just a kid working at the Co-op fish buyer for the summer and we fished out of my 14 K&C. No electronics just fished Kain, Cliffe Pt and the odd day followed the trawlers offshore. Any tips would be appreciated. At this point im thinking Kain and the 300' "highway" . For bottomfish the terrain looks pretty obvious. Looking forward to going back to see what's changed.

Last edited:
Much has changed from those days!! We used to go out and get our hali's real quick so we didn't miss a days salmon fishing. Having said that- can still be great-weather as always is the key-you can't always fish where you would like to. You have it pretty much dialed in-so good luck -if you can grab me thurs night or fri morning I'll tell you where we had luck(or not) in time to do you some good!

Thanks Spring Fever. I'll give u a shout on 6-1 Thursday afternoon or early evening. What's the afternoon winds normally like down quatsino? I think we're going to run out of Port Alice rather than beat everything up on that awful road. The boats seaworthy but it's a long run out of Alice if the weather is snotty.

Thanks Spring Fever. I'll give u a shout on 6-1 Thursday afternoon or early evening. What's the afternoon winds normally like down quatsino? I think we're going to run out of Port Alice rather than beat everything up on that awful road. The boats seaworthy but it's a long run out of Alice if the weather is snotty.
Hey Brian, have you considered heading out from Coal Harbour? Not so long of a trip, and we have never had issues with wind from there. Lots of parking at the launch, and paved all the way. Cheers and good luck.

Hey Brian, have you considered heading out from Coal Harbour? Not so long of a trip, and we have never had issues with wind from there. Lots of parking at the launch, and paved all the way. Cheers and good luck.

That's what we're doing in early Aug. Hoping for a good trip this year as this will be our only shot this summer up that far north. Be up there from 8/7-8/10. Praying for good weather, light winds...

Kramer,
I have considered Coal Harbour. I believe it is the preferred choice by most. I'm thinking port Alice because it has a better launch. I don't remember coal harbours launch but I am launching with an suv and I know I won't have any problems in port Alice.

Has anyone had problems at a low tide in Coal Harbour?

Back