2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me how a 85 cm salmon can be 27 pounds?
According to my salmon size est. chart it would have to be 63,5 cm in girth.

You should start catching bigger fish "Fogged In" then you would know! HAHA The fish was weighed and measured twice using two different scales. I was surprised at the weight as well thought it was around 20. I didn't measure the girth , but 63cm would not be out of the question. She was a girthy lady.

Here is a steelhead photo for a example of weight -girth vs size. 40.5 inches length with a 24 inch girth, a 30.1 pound steelhead.

Attachments

• 30steeliek.jpg
    30steeliek.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Good to see a great fish like that caught on the oak bay side instead of Sooke.

nice fish -congrats!!!!! why is there always some nob on these posts staining somebody when they catch a great fish ??????

Fogged In is a well known contributor on this board and he shares his information freely with everyone. I don't mind his questions if it leads to a better understanding about the area and our fish. It has been tough sledding out there for everyone lately .

Personally I never question weight. According to medical charts, I am 4 -6 inches short for my weight. Lol

Fogged In is a well known contributor on this board and he shares his information freely with everyone. I don't mind his questions if it leads to a better understanding about the area and our fish. It has been tough sledding out there for everyone lately .

Thanks Beemer for not being offended by my question.
No doubt you caught a beauty. Nice to see such a fat fish!!
Some of ours have been pretty skinny this year.
Being an old guy, I work best in inches...
We had to release one last year that was about 40" (101 cm)
Really hard to measure a live fish....we guessed the girth to be 25" and released it quickly.
the calculator said it would be 32 pounds

Fished Oak Bay. 6-10. Bite came on for others at 7. Not a nibble for us.

Went to constance 1030-1 ish. One small hatch. 60cm. Only needles in stomach this time.

Lots of marks on sonar. Lots of bait and the birds were busy. Just couldnt get the combo right today. Maybe I needed one of those flashers. ;)

Thats it for awhile. Company is gone. As you were

JL

Last edited:
Hit Constance pretty hard again.......not my day today but I did see pics of a 32-35 pounder released off the waterfront today.

GnB

There was 25 boats fishing the flats Sunday morning around 9:30am
By noon there was less than 10 and I didn't see a net come out or anyone playing fish the whole time.
Slower than I've seen for quite a few years.

There was 25 boats fishing the flats Sunday morning around 9:30am
By noon there was less than 10 and I didn't see a net come out or anyone playing fish the whole time.
Slower than I've seen for quite a few years.
no doubt, after an amazing last summer, and proceeding winter , this year is starting to worry.
Don't think I will be questioning the boats passing on by for sooke and the big banks this year.

I tried Constance from 6-8 this morning and got nothing. Then over to OB flats until 11:30. Had a few nibbles but nothing stuck. Didn't notice anyone else catching anything, but talked to a couple of guys at the dock that got a couple of small ones on the flats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back