2016 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Buddy's were at big bank both days this weekend no problem limiting on Hali and springs plus coho. No size to the springs all under 15lbs. Still slow on the beach hopefully some stamp fish start showing, with the huge run and all...lol

I was out at Ukie for Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday morning. Friday we went to the rats nose and got our limit in about 2 hours, but very disappointing fish. All Hatchery fish between 7 - 12 lbs. Likely Puget Sound fish. Went out again to the same spot in Saturday morning and same result, but really really slow. Took us over 4 hours to get 6 more small chinook and a single hali. Worst fishing I have ever had on Big Bank and we did better than most who were there at the same time. On a side note, also the worst weather forecast I have ever had from Environment Canada. Completely missed the ball with their initial prediction of 25 - 35 NW and 10 foot seas.....We had 3 days of ever decreasing winds and oily flat calm on Sunday morning. Is there any reason to have any level of confidence in anything they say anymore?

I was out at Ukie for Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday morning. Friday we went to the rats nose and got our limit in about 2 hours, but very disappointing fish. All Hatchery fish between 7 - 12 lbs. Likely Puget Sound fish. Went out again to the same spot in Saturday morning and same result, but really really slow. Took us over 4 hours to get 6 more small chinook and a single hali. Worst fishing I have ever had on Big Bank and we did better than most who were there at the same time. On a side note, also the worst weather forecast I have ever had from Environment Canada. Completely missed the ball with their initial prediction of 25 - 35 NW and 10 foot seas.....We had 3 days of ever decreasing winds and oily flat calm on Sunday morning. Is there any reason to have any level of confidence in anything they say anymore?

yup , as predicted , BWD and Windy tv

fd

Some more great fishing reports for you guys you have to be patient at times and work the gear and you will get your fish. My guides are doing great not sure why all the doom and gloom :)

Click on web address to view latest catches----> http://www.uclueletcharters.com/west-coast-fishing-reports
Probably has to do with only being there for a couple days and trying to get to where the intell over a very small window of opportunity. No doubt being there everyday and fishing every day of the summer, you have a better local network of intell and much more experience in which locations will hold fish and when. Would love to be able to put the same amount of time in, but my job is on the dark side of the moat. :( ;)

Thanks for the updates Ukee. Heading up for the weekend. Probably going to give tuna a shot on Saturday if I can get my fuel and ice arrangements down tomorrow. Will be fishing other species on Sunday.

img-3549_orig.jpg

What happened there?

img-2916_orig.jpeg

That is a coho? I can kind of see a bit of a hook on the nose. If so wow!!! Can't wait. 6 years ago was our best coho fishing out there ever. It was lights out awesome. Fish that size so frequent you had to put the downriggers away and just hand the one rod off to the next person. It's your turn.......no, it's your turn.......I'm too tired lol. 7 pulls out back in the prop wash with what ever spoon you wanted on there for a lure lol. It was wild for sure.

leaving now.Going to fish chinook from salmon beach for four days .would you say theres better fishing west of starlight rks out to the rats nose or the imperial channel effingham ,kirby ,swale?

Several Bamfield Guides were at Hysen today, so read into that what you will. Plenty of action on small springs, and some cohos. Most boats got a few decent springs too. I got my two and a halibut out near there. This is a not secret info. One of the problems though, is that most boats are there, so who knows if Rat's Nose or South Bank is doing well, because few are fishing there.

Several Bamfield Guides were at Hysen today, so read into that what you will. Plenty of action on small springs, and some cohos. Most boats got a few decent springs too. I got my two and a halibut out near there. This is a not secret info. One of the problems though, is that most boats are there, so who knows if Rat's Nose or South Bank is doing well, because few are fishing there.
Heard there was over 50 boats there, OMG!

Heard there was over 50 boats there, OMG!
One thing I learned from a certain well known poster here who had fished Hyson both commercial & sport-when the tide changes the bite comes on but there's often not a lot happening between changes.

One thing I learned from a certain well known poster here who had fished Hyson both commercial & sport-when the tide changes the bite comes on but there's often not a lot happening between changes.
Maybe so but i prefer to not fish among that many boats......not what i call a quality experience

Remember July/August of 2010 and there was over 100 boats a day fishing the starfish? Anyone that came to the west coast was there and every guide from Ukee and Tofino! Was enough fish around to keep everyone happy still

If I recall, fuel back then was $1.50 per litre in Bamfield and it was still worth the trip. Is it that good again?
Stosh

Back