2016 Tofino Reports

Post of the decade!! I must have already been heading in but i'm sure i know what boat it was as she was chatting it up like a drunken sailor on the radio....classic stuff

Haha......she definitely wasn't a "nice girl" as she was saying something about 'dicks' as she showed us her 'glands'. She was on the boat that Lance first guided on years ago....had a blue canvas top but can't remember the guide's name.

Haha......she definitely wasn't a "nice girl" as she was saying something about 'dicks' as she showed us her 'glands'. She was on the boat that Lance first guided on years ago....had a blue canvas top but can't remember the guide's name.
Who the hell could remember the guide's name when you get THAT distracted.:eek:;)

Hello there, first time poster, frequent west coast fisherman with a question. Myself and buddies have a trip planned this week to Ukee. First day of fishing is Wednesday. Presently the marine forecast for much of this week is high pressure with a very strong chronic NW (up to 30-40 knots). We'd love to get to all of our spots both along the shoreline and banks (near and far) but looks like it might not be possible (we know to be ready to go, looking for windows despite the forecast because we've seen it be wrong) Nevertheless if it blows nearly as strong as forecast all I can thick of to do in Ukee is tuck behind Begg Island (with likely not much success). We might be able to sneak down Louden and back up by Swale to the back side of Meares/Cree but it'd be a pounding commute.
Where I'm going with this on the Tofino thread is, might it be more worth it to put in at Tofino. We obvious wouldn't be able to touch the hotspots of Long Beach, Starfish, or Raphael (as would be our preference) but does anyone know if there are spots (maybe south end of Vargas?) that are protected from the NW and hold a few more fish at this point than the mouth of Tofino harbour? If I hear that Tofino is more fishable in this big wind (and has fish that tuck into these inside Clayoquot spots this early in the season) we will definitely trailer up there. Any advice. Just don't want to get skunked due to windy weather. Thanks in advance for any help.

" dirty habit "

Hello there, first time poster, frequent west coast fisherman with a question. Myself and buddies have a trip planned this week to Ukee. First day of fishing is Wednesday. Presently the marine forecast for much of this week is high pressure with a very strong chronic NW (up to 30-40 knots). We'd love to get to all of our spots both along the shoreline and banks (near and far) but looks like it might not be possible (we know to be ready to go, looking for windows despite the forecast because we've seen it be wrong) Nevertheless if it blows nearly as strong as forecast all I can thick of to do in Ukee is tuck behind Begg Island (with likely not much success). We might be able to sneak down Louden and back up by Swale to the back side of Meares/Cree but it'd be a pounding commute.
Where I'm going with this on the Tofino thread is, might it be more worth it to put in at Tofino. We obvious wouldn't be able to touch the hotspots of Long Beach, Starfish, or Raphael (as would be our preference) but does anyone know if there are spots (maybe south end of Vargas?) that are protected from the NW and hold a few more fish at this point than the mouth of Tofino harbour? If I hear that Tofino is more fishable in this big wind (and has fish that tuck into these inside Clayoquot spots this early in the season) we will definitely trailer up there. Any advice. Just don't want to get skunked due to windy weather. Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know the ukee area but there are some inside spots here that are out of the NW but the whole fleet may be fishing them and if its windy, getting to them can be an issue if you have a small boat. It is calm this morning so hopefully it glasses off every morning. Maybe plan on fishing very early.

What size of boat do you have?

20 ft double eagle. Modest length but very deep. Gets us everywhere usually but not in 30 knot winds. we will be ready to leave early every morning for sure. But based on forecast that might not be enough.

check WindyTy.com - looks like that NW gets worse the further offshore you get but not too bad closer in in the am and relatively fine in Barkley Sound all day. shouldn't have any trouble in a 20 ft DE getting to/from Cree/Meares, Gibraltar and Swale. South, Lighthouse, Wya, etc should be doable in am.

Cheers!

Ukee

Thanks! I'll check out that other weather/wind site. Hopefully it's more specific than environment Canada. And hopefully we have a morning window. If we can even grind it out in the morning to get to wya /flow Bay Area and can eventually troll back with the wind behind us we should have a good chance.

I am heading over to Tofino Aug 8 to 14 to fish. Any recent reports would be appreciated? Thanks in advance!

Been meaning to post a report from my fishing/family camping trip last week to Tofino. Got back on Sunday. Fishing was great with lots of fish not too far offshore. Was working 85 to about 1:10 depths with anchovies, hoochie and small herring aids. Salmon were full of small herring and small gold looking fish,that I don't know what they were. Almost like a small pile perch or a rock bass for those who fished freshwater in Eastern Canada.

Being that it was more of a family trip than a fishing trip, fished mostly in the afternoons. We were a few families camping together so had lots of my friends kids out, which was great to see some of them catch their first salmon ever and of course to get my kids into some fish too!

Special thanks to FishTofino, J-Global and Pippen from the forum first steering me in the right direction!
20160812_164150.jpg 20160812_144645.jpg 20160812_144645.jpg 20160810_135216.jpg 20160810_141116.jpg 20160812_171828.jpg

Awesome CC! Good to see some more shots and smiles on the kids...and one big kid. ;) :confused:

We trolled in an area with a sunfish hanging out at Raphael in July....every time we got within 25-40' of him we'd get a hit. Called him Lucky. ;):)

We were running in the boat when I saw him. It was funny he actually swam right over next to the boat, if you want to call it swimming.....lol! He did have a couple battle wounds on his head that must have come from being hit by boats. My son wanted to jump in and swim with him.

It was great to be back fishing in Tofino after not having been there for 10 years!

Is there still some salmon kicking around tofino area? I want to go check out the hot springs over there and figured I'd throw a line. What about bottom fishing this time of year? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is there still some salmon kicking around tofino area? I want to go check out the hot springs over there and figured I'd throw a line. What about bottom fishing this time of year? Any help is greatly appreciated!
The inside area around the hot springs has fin fish closure. The line is a good mile offshore. There is good bottomfishing about 6 miles out from the entrance to the cove.

Consult the maps on the DFO site

Back