2016 Sooke Reports

FISHED in 500 ft. water straight out from the spit 12 pound wild on anchovie an 8 p0under . wild on anchovie and a 6 pound wild on a white hoochy all between 50 and 70 ft. on the riggers all caught between 9.30 to 1.30

Fished today out of Beecher, was definitely better for most than on Sunday. 5 fish to the boat, 4 kept. 3 hatchery and one nice 11ish pound wild. ran gear at 90-100. Of course i find the hatcheries after the opening...

Have found full-sized hootchies to out-produce squirts and spoons so far for coho. Green, pink, uv, glow. all seem to work without much difference between them. Perhaps give those a go nextime fishhook?

Hope it keeps up for the weekend!
Thanks for the advise. Will definitely try that out. I guess the main reason why I didn't get anything was simply my limited time and the time of day. It seems late afternoon/evening isn't prime time currently which might be related to the tide being at slack.

Very wet and a bit of wind early on today and then beautiful around noon and onward. Hit 18 Coho, landed 8 up to just shy of 12 pounds, lost 7 including 3 bigger ones (one straightened a hook and 2 broke leaders) and released 3 wilds between 7-8 pounds. Herring or Anchovie for all and 90-95 feet worked for us. Two doubles and a triple. Saw a big school of chum on the surface just as we were pulling gear at 1:30. They were porpoising on the surface and a few were jumping. All in a tight school about 50 feet around. First ones I've seen this fall.

Fished 8-11am, 2 unclipped, both 9 lbs, released 1 unclipped, maybe a little smaller. Saw the humpbacks, tail fluke and all! Came in early as no hatchery to be found and snotty winds. Did anyone else see the dead sea lion( I think!), bloated and upside down.1 mile out in the tide line in line with the Trap. Never saw a Seiner so close to shore either..............Had to get a new kicker motor yesterday, the '94 Yamaha done corroded out. Didn't owe us anything. Thanks to Mitch and the guys at SG Power, they have a sale on Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust 4 stroke. Started on the first pull. Great deal and runs smooth and quiet! Those two coho cost a lot more today than last week, lol!! Xena

was out at beecher for two hours... nothing but a few tugs that didnt produce and a few shakers. moved to secretary around 9:30 and managed 2 wilds 3 hatchery's. within 45 minutes! it pays to move around. Did see the ball of chum just off the tip of the island too. Saw a lot of guys fishing further off shore, not sure how they did.

Anyone know what size coho won the derby yesterday didn't make it over there.. Heard some chatter on the radio it was around #17 ?? Thx.

Fished today from 3:45 - 6:45 pm. Started at Secretary and then fished with the tide towards Otter in about 350-450ft of water. Was pretty slow. Got a little shaker and a 5lbs hatchery coho. I fished a spoon at 70 ft and a hoochie at 90 ft on the downrigger. The spoon caught the coho.

Anyone know what size coho won the derby yesterday didn't make it over there.. Heard some chatter on the radio it was around #17 ?? Thx.
Winner was 17lbsomething. 10th was 12lb something. There were prizes for top 10. Then draw prizes.
Lots of fish weighed in.

We weighed in 4 fish. Biggest 11lb.

Tips

We were out yesterday was little spotty for us. Still a lot out there. But ended up wild one just 17 1/2 after we bled it :eek:. Figures you always get that fish day after derby. Go get them guys....:p

It was a good day again today with nice size fish. Kept 6 fish ...4 wild and 2 hatch...all 8-12 pounds. Released 1 wild andn lost another 5 or 6. Very nice day once the east wind dropped off and the sun warmed things up. Fished from 7 till 11:30 off the Bluffs...60-90 ft worked for us.

Fished 8 - 2pm out from Becher Bay. Lots of action early but all shakers or hits that didn't stick. Managed 2 wild 7-8lbs but it was slow after 10am. White hootchy caught the fish at 80'. Most anglers had a fish or two at the dock. Biggest I saw was 16lb

I was out yesterday (Monday) afternoon again from 4-7pm. I fished around Secretary and straight out of Harbour mouth in 150' to 350' of water. The spoons and hoochie were at varying depths from 55' to 95'. Anyhow no coho for me. Not even a bite. Nothing. It seems coho fishing is successful in the morning only while it becomes dead slow in the afternoon when I get time for fishing. I attribute that to the tide with the flood in the morning only currently.
That was my last day of the season. I'll miss these sunny calm days on the water surrounded by this beautiful jaw-dropping scenery of Sooke hills etc. Might try again for feeder springs in December as I had a slow season this year.

Slower this morning. Landed 2 - 7 and 8 pounds and lost one other. Seemed like everyone was in the same boat, not as good as Monday.

I hit the 500-600 foot depth off Beachy Head yesterday from 11am-1:30 and managed a small spring (6lbs) one 9lb coho and one 9.5lb chum all on anchovy. The coho and chum were a double header which surprised me that they were travelling together. the chum fought like crazy and had the distinctive dark stripes along the side of the body.

A shout-out to all the guys who regularity contribute to this site; I just spent the past two weeks in Greece and was checking Sports fishing BC Forums whenever I could. It was so good to get all of the updates on fishing and boating and greatly appreciated. I was on the water the day after we got home, suffering jet-lag but happy to be back in one of the best places in the world!

Fished the Harbour Mouth solo from 8-12:30. 1 wild 9lb coho. A couple other hook spitters. I love how hard coho hit, so fun. Purple/white combo seemed to do the best for me. Didn't mark much bait/fish and never found a school, about a hit every hour (usually when I decided to pour another tea or fiddle in my tackle box). Shallow worked best. Definitely miss the calm summer days already, she got sloppy out there for me. Gonna try again tomorrow hopefully.

I want to take the kayak our for a final fishing session of 2016, wondering if it would be better for me to do the usual G-spot otter muir tide lines for coho/chum or do the secretary isl thing. Fish seem fairly deep from the reports and I don't use a down rigger. Where would you go? Was planning to go sunrise tomorrow before this storm cycle dumps all this water on us, and the fish go upstream.

fished 8.30 to 11.30 this am. had 2 hits but both didnt stick used anchovie and white hoochys was sloppy as other fisherman said not pleasant..and NO fish to take home. Does any one know how long these coho usually stick around the Sooke area..Is it worth trying for them all this month ???

Well today was an exercise in perseverance in difficult conditions. BWD was showing blue 15K ESE winds for Gordon’s beach early on but we went anyway. Bounced around off Secretary for two hours in water from 250’-400’ feet deep with hootchies at 96’ which worked so well last Thursday. Nothing - not one hit. Later we had a hit only to find a very small unclipped 3lb coho which had wrapped himself around the other line which had caused the “hit” to appear to be on that line. We released that guy and spent 10 minutes unravelling the mess. Tried a tiny teaser on one side for an hour or so at 76’. Left the pink one at 96’. Still nothing. About 7 other boats in the general area as well but did not see anything there either.

Finally decided to brave the waves and wind, which showed no signs of abating and headed out into 500’of water and turned against the tide with the wind/waves at our back around noon. Ten minutes later a big hit on the trusty pink stripe hootchie still ploughing along at 96’ and after a good fight my wife netted a 10lb unclipped male in the swells. Quickly removed the tiny teaser and dropped a mint tulip hootch to the same depth as the pink stripe one and almost immediately had a hit on that one. Two minutes later he came off, close to the surface. Turned around and head back on the same line, into the wind and waves this time. Really bouncy now!! Ten minutes later another hit on the pink stripe side again and after a shorter fight than the other guy, boated a 10lb unclipped female. While doing that the other line trailing in the water wrapped round the kicker in the swells and we lost the flasher and the mint tulip hootch. Owing to these conditions, and no doubt not getting any hatch in that area, we called it a day right there. The best “pair” of coho we have ever had. :)

Both the fish had large semi digested bait fish inside them and one had a strange looking, presumably parasitic, louse like creature (with legs like a wood louse) in the gills. Nasty…..!:(

P1280684.JPG

Last edited:
I want to take the kayak our for a final fishing session of 2016, wondering if it would be better for me to do the usual G-spot otter muir tide lines for coho/chum or do the secretary isl thing. Fish seem fairly deep from the reports and I don't use a down rigger. Where would you go? Was planning to go sunrise tomorrow before this storm cycle dumps all this water on us, and the fish go upstream.

I don't think taking a kayak out in windy, choppy water is a good idea. Tomorrow is going to be like what today was, opposing tide/wind. I do not kayak, but my butt wouldn't be going out in a kayak in ugly water. It's gonna be an easterly wind so there's not really anywhere to hide. Just my 2 cents.

Back