2016 Sooke Reports

90 ft has been my most productive depth by far.

Others have posted shallower depths so sounds like they are all over. Just gotta find the schools when they are biting.
Seems to be on the flood tides.

Tips

Was out solo from 3pm to 6pm last nite off Beechy. Spoons, dummy's, fly rods etc. Hit 5 managed to keep one beauty 11 lb hatchery. All on the same spoon at 60 ft. Gorgeous evening. Gentle ground swell, no wind, hardly any boats, lots of porpoises. I love this time of year...

CP

Off Beechy today from 10-1. Lots of hands in pockets today from all the boats we passed. Had a shaker, and two other hits.
Lovely flat day, but a little boring ;)

Head out in the morning going a hailbut or going to try for one today at least, would be the first one of the season. Just hope the wind is down. Tide looks OK. Wish Me luck.....;);););)

Had a couple of nice wilds yesterday and a few smells. Nothing I could keep though. Everything was either side of 8:30. Out in deep water (400 feet) and down around 65 ft. Both the big boys hit on a sand lancer. Tried for Hali in the afternoon/evening off William head. No joy though. Except for the fact that I was out alone and the quiet was awesome.

Ran the afternoon shift yesterday 1-4:30 and had non stop action for about 10 minutes. 4 on, 2 released 2 lost all around 45-65ft in deep water. Then nothing for the next three hours. Saw the odd net come out.

Moorage is up. That's it for me in Sooke this year - back to Sidney until next summer. See you all next year!

After a month off the water went out to try and find some hatchery coho today. Fished from 8:00am until 2:30pm. Splendid sunny morning, flat calm out there and we counted over 20 boats, which is lot for a Wednesday and before October 1st. Put out my old venerable Krippled K and got two hits right away, which me missed. On the third strike we brought a 7lb hatchery fish to the boat. Great start!

Unfortunately the lucky hatchery streak was not to last. We got about ten more hits very sporadically throughout the rest of the session, most of which we missed. However, we did bring four unclipped fish to the boat in the 8-10lb range and released them all OK. One was foul hooked but he seemed to swim away fine and there was no blood. Don’t know why some of the strikes were so fast and hard to hit – perhaps I am just getting old in the reactions! LOL

All our hits were on AP spoons and a hootchie in a jughead as well as the Krippled K. All around 70-75' in 550' of water.

Continuing with the luck declining theme, we lost a cannonball way out there. The damn swivel on the end of the scotty plastic clip gave way and down she went snubber and all. Later I was not watching where we were going and while my head was down fiddling with gear we ran into the biggest floating kelp ball I have ever seen. After 20 minutes of hacking with a knife and a boat hook we managed to extricate ourselves and all the gear, but the kelp must have yanked on the transducer because the sounder would not work anymore.

Two killer whales frolicked near us as we packed up, so nice end to the day.

Next week two of those unclipped are going in the fish well…..I hope!!:)

Sounds like some nice Hoes swimming around... headed our from Cowtown for our annual Coho trip that starts Oct 1,2,3..... C ya out there!

Portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Effective 00:01 hours October 1 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2016 in that
portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign
at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point)
and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, you may retain four (4) coho per day, one (1) of
which may be unmarked.

Sooke area and Renfrew on outside of whistle buoy.

Area 19
-------
Effective 00:01 hours October 1 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2016 in Area 19,
you may retain two (2) coho per day, one (1) of which may be unmarked.

Victoria area

7 decent fish yesterday 60' and deeper but only two hatchery, and one was only 4 lbs and got released.

Much slower today but managed a nice one to take home. It came in from somewhere below 100', the largest bait from its stomach was 10" long. Any guesses on what that guy is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Out this morning from 7-pm to find some bigger wilds. First 3 to the boat were all hatchery and then the next 4 were wilds. Largest went just under 14 pounds. Kept a couple of winter springs as well with one about 6 pounds. Only lost 2 other coho, so not big numbers of fish but enough to keep you interested. The ticket was herring I netted last fall and vacuum packed. My favorite rig with the chartreuse minnow teaser got the largest Coho and we lost another big one on the same setup. 55-80ft worked for us. Sorry about the picture quality I just realized the setting on my camera wasn't were it should be so overexposed.

Fished out of Beecher Bay, rode the ebb to the Harbour Mouth, 8:30- 12:30 all three fish 50-70 ft in 550ft of water. 2 coho, 8lbs each, 1 spring, bbq fish, foul hooked,
ALL THREE HATCHERY! where are the unclipped that we can now keep? That's fishing.............Xena

Yikes! Yesterday was pretty slow... managed to boat 3 lost 3..... on hatch... two wild. Headed out right now.... helpfully will smarten up. We ended up going out for a couple hours night before.... could not keep the 12-15 pound wild off the hook... then over night.. poof.... all gone. Will update after today. Sea Runner on Channel 71..

Lots of doom and gloom at the dock just now... 12:31....... came in for a bite...then headed right out again.... crazy slow for Coho.....

Back