2016 Sidney

Fished the north side (the legal side) of Moresby this morning from 7:30 - 11:00. As we dropped in another boat was netting a nice fish. Some tough currents to fish in but managed to scratch up a small Spring on an anchovy.

A lot late but finally:D ended a long skunk streak early Monday morning with an 11#wild 108' in 110' in Sidney Channel.

Fished Sidney Spit area last night 5-8:30. No action trolling bait and AP spoons other than a dog. Switched it up for the last 45 mins of night and brought out the jigging stick as the current was slack enough. Hooked into a nice spring on the first drop, gave one good line peel followed by a few headshakes and spat the hook. Hooked and snagged a few dogs in the next half hour then whammo! Another big strike and off it went. Unfortunately same thing again, one good run and headshakes....fish off:(. Both fights lasted about a minute.
Fish or no fish it was a beauty of a evening out there and was super stoked to to get into a couple:).View attachment 28793View attachment 28793 View attachment 28794
It's sounding more promising out there!!

Late report from last long weekend, launched at tulista. Dropped traps at spit, put rods down at 6am fished til 9am spit, red can, powderwharf notta shake, lots of bait and marks just not for what I had. Dropped off my partners at sidney spit ran back to tulista to pick up another group to go to the spit back and forth 3 trips. BTW don't come in on a low tide to the dock with the fish table there (banged up the prop on the swing oops all good replaced now but stay away from that dock. And to those launching I can understand but seriously pay attention to those coming in and going out make room be courteous don't stand there with your line like a rookie not knowing what's going on). Spent a few hours at spit with family (great day for that kids were having a blast). 1pm back at it ran over to pender bluffs for the 1-2pm bite, picked up lines at 4pm again, lots of bait no nets out but marks were there at most depths. Ran back to spit picked up traps to be rewarded??? a couple of huge red rocks (prefer dungeoness but settled for the RR). Beautiful weather, didn't have to wash a net, and the families had a great time so all in all good venture for a Sunday. Conclusion, lots of bait around, lots of fish marked, no bites, sunny weather and more memories for the kids under 5 and the parental units

Guys! I finally caught a salmon! It's been since May!
It was caught at the Red Can in a green white coho killer. Around sunset yesterday.

But it was too small to keep.

Still counts though?

Thought that I would ignore my own and everyone else's experience and prove that salmon do exist in the Sidney area. Had a couple of buddies from Vancouver come into town on Friday and we hit it hard. Fished the northeast side of Moresby on Friday evening - 6 - 9 p.m. Beautiful evening, lots of bait, very fishy but no fish, no bites.

Up early Saturday morning and tried the east side of Sidney Island, and around Mandarte Island. Out from 6 - 11 before we got blown off the water. Lots of bait but no fish, no bites. Out again Saturday evening for the flood tide off of Moresby again - 7 - 9 p.m. No fish, no bites. Another beauty evening.

Up early Sunday morning and hit the Pender bluffs. 6 - 11, no fish and no bites. The good news is that we confirmed that salmon still exist as we watched a gentleman fishing solo with 3 rods play and land a nice mid-teen Spring. He had mentioned that this was his 5th day without success just before he hooked up so sometimes persistence does pay off. We gave him a robust Wiser's clap for his determination and ultimate success. A fair number of boats on the bluffs but no other hook ups that we noticed. Headed home in shame but did manage 4 nice dungees when we pulled our traps.

Over the 3 days we fished anywhere from 20' - 180' feet deep. Primarily anchovies but also tried AP spoon, plugs, and hootchies. So, the fish have still not shown up in the area but in order to be a fisherman, you need to be an optimist. I'm sure they will be here any day......

Saturday morning around 10am keep your eyes and ears open as it is the Sidney poker run. Lots of cool boats leaving the Sidney pier area on full throttle. Awsome

We are in the same boat. 5 for 5 skunked now. (Except for rock cod and dungees) Tried Coal, Fairfax, Hamley, Bluffs, Powder Wharf. Chovies, Coho Killers, Hootchies, Kingfishers. Changed leader lengths, distance from cannon ball to flasher, depths and music selection. Tried jigging for the mythical Sidney area salmon as well. Did not see a net come out, but lots of boats.
Lets keep our heads up and keep at 'er. If anything we are cruising around in one of the nicest places in the world.
Any day now....

We are in the same boat. 5 for 5 skunked now. (Except for rock cod and dungees) Tried Coal, Fairfax, Hamley, Bluffs, Powder Wharf. Chovies, Coho Killers, Hootchies, Kingfishers. Changed leader lengths, distance from cannon ball to flasher, depths and music selection. Tried jigging for the mythical Sidney area salmon as well. Did not see a net come out, but lots of boats.
Lets keep our heads up and keep at 'er. If anything we are cruising around in one of the nicest places in the world.
Any day now....

Yeah... it's pretty quiet out there. I haven't even seen any whales this year - last year they almost felt like pests! :p

Also, a reminder (though I'm sure everyone is aware) that most of Coal and the south-side of Fairfax is closed for retention. Not that anyone is bringing anything to the boat!
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s18-eng.html

I well aware that my IQ has plummeted and dementia is starting to get a grip on me, but I was just wondering if anyone else finds navigating that site challenging. The way I read it....No Chinook July 25 - Oct 14 for 18-6 to 18-8 and 18-10. Wouldn't that include all of Coal? As for Moresby... Fairfax point to Parkin Point (North side) is ok because it's all 18-4.... or do I need to increase my meds?

Was too windy in my usual haunt of Sooke last night so I hit up the Sidney waters.
Dropped some traps at the spit and headed to Pender Bluffs. Few boats there with tons of bait and fish marking but no takers. Only fished from 4:30-6:00 then went to Bedwell for some dinner. Picked up traps on the way back and had to throw back a bunch of keepers because we could only have 8 between us.
So crabbing good, fishing not so good but the bait was there so fish will follow soon.

Tips

I well aware that my IQ has plummeted and dementia is starting to get a grip on me, but I was just wondering if anyone else finds navigating that site challenging. The way I read it....No Chinook July 25 - Oct 14 for 18-6 to 18-8 and 18-10. Wouldn't that include all of Coal? As for Moresby... Fairfax point to Parkin Point (North side) is ok because it's all 18-4.... or do I need to increase my meds?
Its not just you. The DFO website can be a real clusterfuck. That said, youre correct in that essentially Coal island and Fairfax point are closed for the next few months. You can fish south of the 18-6 area boundary but you might find yourself losing more gear than its worth. Fairfax to Parkin is fine as well. Best bet is probably the Pender bluffs for the next few weeks or so, if the fish ever arrive of course. :confused:

I'm heading out this afternoon/evening, will report back. The last time I was out (Saturday) I saw a nice big one jigged up off Sidney Spit and we had a good pin-pop using ancient bait and a damaged teaser.

I played Guide for a few friends last night at the spit - 5:30-8:30. Ran anchovies on both sides and had a hit right away. Didn't stick and only pulled the hook out of the fish. This was followed by an hour or two of nothing, then BAM! Fish on. I adjust the drag and ask who wants to reel in the fish and everyone was being so polite (not me, this person can do it etc...) - so I played the fish until someone volunteered. Then the fish got away :( Took a lot more line than I was expecting though. Purple Haze Teaser, Small peetz flasher. 60 feet down in 90 feet of water.

This was followed by a discussion as to who will actually get the next fish.

Five minutes until we declared done, We got a super aggressive, barely undersized football (6-8lbs). So back it went. Chartreuse Coho Killer, Chartreuse Glow Flasher dragging through the mud at 65 feet down.

At least we got one to the boat.

Best Sunset / Moon Rise I've seen out there. Friends were ecstatic with the evening and I'm ecstatic that there was some action out there finally.

Good to hear of some action round these parts. I think I'm gonna give it a go after work today. Let's hope those few fish are sticking around.

Fished Spit and Mandarte From noon - 3:30 yesterday. Probably the least productive time and it showed. Some fish around following the bait around and a couple of small jumpers on the surface. Tried all depths and all lures/anchovies and not one sniff. Highlight of the day - dropped the ball to the bottom and hearing the braid snap within moments of raising it up a couple feet. Goodbye Ball, Snubber, Sure Stop, quick release and 62ft of 150lb braid. :(

Back