2016 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Was out last night from 7 until dark at Epsom, threw back one that was likely just legal and lost one just as it started to run..... Seems to be the way its been going on my boat for us lately !!! Fish were on glow/green splatter back hootchie around the 80ft mark.
I picked up 2 at Epsom yesterday afternoon on an antique pink pearl lucky Louie plug. Had a splatter back hootchie on the other side and nada on it. Got up early today to try the early bite but the wind was coming so I jammed out.

I was at Sangster on sat with a buddy and we limited out. Played about 25 fish all together with lots of wild coho mixed in.

Awesome, where you trolling or mooching? Just asking as i might jam up there. Live bait is popular there and was just wondering

Sangster was fairly dead for us yesterday, we launched as the sun peaked its head out and made our way across the glass to our destination. The lines were down for 3 minutes and we got an 8lb football which was just legal length but absolutely stuffed - had no less then 5 herring in its gut up to 7" long. Don't know where he planning on putting my anchovie but he went for it. The northern reef was blanketed in bait, stacked 30-40 off bottom. The fish must have been stuffed, we only hooked undersized and lost a few coho. One scrappy one that hit as the lines were going down, jumped three times and gone. We even had a coho hit my copilots herring on the surface less then 20' from the boat. Just smashed it, did the alligator roll, a jump and gone, lol. It was pretty hilarious.

Was hoping for a gangbusters day, but an 8lber for the smoker will have to do... and the smooth ride home was more then we could ask for lately. Cheers, good luck out there peeps!

At Epsom for the high tide yesterday. Hooked up an absolutely insane coho right off the bat. It did everything a great coho does. Danced, rolled, ran and danced some more. By the time i got it to the boat it was belly up it was so tired. I'll call it at least a 11-12 pound football. But it was a wild so I gently revived it and sent it home. What a rush. Kept a nice spring for the day and released a couple barely legal. Bait was thick in areas but didn't really mark too many fish. Was an outstanding day on the water.

Fished last night till dark using spoons and hoochies, lost a decent fish on a blue and silver coyote. Released one under size. Fished tonight with plugs, missed a hit right off the bat on a 407 UV tubby, and kept a 8 pounder on a 602 tubby. Released one under. Both nights at Epsom. Both nights fished all depths of water, fishing down from 113 to 82.

Got out last night in the " Hurt Locker", we tried to run to sangster in the afternoon but it turned out to be snotty out in the middle so we headed back to Epsom where we picked up a 9lb spring let a couple just under size go and had a few hits that didn't stick. Turned out to be a nice afternoon and had a fair bit of action. Hooked the fish on anchovies, homeland security spoon, and a green and glow splatter back hootchie from 80 to 120ft. Would love to hook into some coho soon just haven't been able to find many around here !!

I can't remember a season where we saw so so many just undersize fish. Anyone have any thoughts how this may affect the fishing this winter ? I wonder about the age of these fish and where they may head. Last weekend we had huge schools of anchovie in our marina in pender harbour. These fish were same size as package bait. Where do they go in the winter. Would a guy be justified in thinking the bait and the salmon will stay in the area?

There certainly seemed to be lots of feeder springs around when I was there in August. I was catching 6-8 undersize for every keeper.

I can't remember a season where we saw so so many just undersize fish. Anyone have any thoughts how this may affect the fishing this winter ? I wonder about the age of these fish and where they may head. Last weekend we had huge schools of anchovie in our marina in pender harbour. These fish were same size as package bait. Where do they go in the winter. Would a guy be justified in thinking the bait and the salmon will stay in the area?
Good questions, before I moved to the lower coast I was in Powell River for four years, we did fantastic with the winter fishery. We basically fished the same as the summer, when it was nice head out, same gear and produced really well. Always found bait around too.

I'll be up in Pender harbour/ Nelson isl. area Thanksgiving weekend. Wondering if there might be anywhere even worth trying? Been out this time of year before but efforts were futile. Summer fisherman here haha

I mean, It's not like there is a cap mouth fishery up this way, but maybe I just don't know the area well enough yet

I fished 29-1 7-noon yesterday, marked tons of bait and fish. No salmon, a few Sole and various rockfish. Couldn't get a biter - threw the kitchen sink at them; bait, hootchies, spoons, and plugs. Assuming staging chum and stale fish around the area I was fishing.

Never know though! I was hoping for a coho or decent chum.

Usually see some jumping Chum now and then this time of year... Hard to target directly but I might give 'er a go!

Fished Quarry bay for a few hours on Sunday. Lots of bait around (usually this time of year), can see the seagulls attacking a bait ball every now and then. Some signs of fish on the sounder, hard to tell though. They must be there!

Tried something completely different (I guess I was bored), instead of getting the downriggers out. I caught a few small perch off the dock and live mooched with them hahaha :confused: (what a relaxing way to fish!). Had a heck of a bite on one about 20 feet off the bottom in 120' of water - Didn't stick though. Tons of bait and bird activity. Was worth it to find out that they do work as bait I guess! As I didn't expect to have any real success out there anyway. PS those little perch have spines in them... Learned that the hard way LOL :D

Was out friday afternoon to wet the gear for the first time in weeks. Put the gear down right in front of secret cove a went a couple miles up to the north and back out front. We managed to scratch up a decent 7lber down near the bottom at about 150ft on a green/glow hootchie, and a few undersized. All in all a great night. There were others boats at the bjerre shoal and Epsom but we didn't hear any reports !!

Heading up to a friends cabin on thormanby for the long weekend, was thinking about doing some prawning. Any advice on depth/area for this time of the year?

Heading up to a friends cabin on thormanby for the long weekend, was thinking about doing some prawning. Any advice on depth/area for this time of the year?

You'll see a ton of prawn balls all around Thormanby, it will give you an idea of where to lay them. Watch where tugs are bringing booms down between Thormanby and Secret Cove.

There are extensive 300 ft flats along the west side of Thormanby. Also the south end of Welcome Pass has plenty of real estate at the right depth. Just be careful not to put floats in the main navigation channels.

Back