2016 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

I thought I would return the favour to LiveLines and get him into a couple of hogs tonight. It was a dead sea tonight at Epsom, I guess we're taking his boat out tomorrow! Threw plugs and hoochies at them.

Bright and early today, Trail islands to Reception point. Lots of bait here and there, many blips on the sonar in around the area as well. Not a lot of chinooky love, one 8lb keeper and a 9lb Yelloweye on the 602 plug. Was fishing solo today so went with a solo rod and naked plug and wasn't disappointed. Got 2 more big Yelloweye in the same area on the plug so moved on to new territory to avoid them. Changed to bait after the bite turned off and couldn't keep the dogs off.... back to plugs tomorrow morning.

6' Herring in the springs belly...

I don't mind showers as long as the wind stays away!

any reports from the weekend? Many boats at epson, gap or pirate? any coho yet?
looking to come up and mooch on saturday/sunday

I had some coho action today between cape Cockburn and orchard bay. No springs though. One at 60' one down deep. Both on 3.5 king fisher Irish cream.

Was a pretty dismal weekend for our group. Around 5 boats out in different areas for 2 days and I know of one fish caught. At Epsom yesterday morning I marked virtually no bait. Very strange.

No luck at Quarry last week despite seeing a large amount of bait and fish on the sounder.
Yesterday morning bagged a 9 and 12# springs. This morning a 13. All 3 were wild and red.
Still quite a few undersize and grilse according to buddies though not for me.
Plugs and hootchies.

Anyone going in the Gilligans derby this weekend?

Fishings been slow for me... went out Monday night, got real snotty on me. Dragged a dog around for awhile on a plug... pretty fast dog for cathing my plug and big for not popping the clip = / Heard a pan pan in Sergent's bay of an over turned kayak but when I got there they were already ashore.

Anyone going in the Gilligans derby this weekend?

Fishings been slow for me... went out Monday night, got real snotty on me. Dragged a dog around for awhile on a plug... pretty fast dog for cathing my plug and big for not popping the clip = / Heard a pan pan in Sergent's bay of an over turned kayak but when I got there they were already ashore.

Is there a info page for that derby? I cannot find anything.
Thanks

Yes $50 a rod $100 Calcutta per boat that the total goes to biggest Chinook plus biggest Chinook , coho, ling cod, rock fish and dog fish as well as a hidden weight. Sat and Sunday derby last weigh in on sat id 8:45 I think and 4:00 on sunday. you can register at the Gilligans pub or Buccaneer marina

Tough night for me last night. Marked some bait around, a couple pins popped with no one home, and released 2 keeper lings cuz I was on the wrong side of Reception point = / Way she goes!

Seems slow for the derby, hopefully some fish roll through!

Out for a couple hours Friday evening at quarry for change. Lots of current, choppy with tide running the way it was. Two undersized an hour and a half apart (1 on bait, 1 on ap spoon). Lots of bait in some areas. Very few marks not fishy feeling at all really.

Will be out later today as well, not sure where yet.

Fished Epsom from 4 til 9pm today. Fair bit of boats out trolling and mooching. Hit mostly undersized fish, scratched up a nice 10-12 lb white at 110 ft - anchovy. Spoons worked too. Only one keeper fish. Got a few just under/borderline on a double header. Otherwise not much action besides the occasional shaker. Lines at 90/110 seemed to work best. Small fish are all over though.

Can tell it's a tough year, that for sure! Didn't see much else going on with other boats. Great weather today though.

Back