2016 Powell River Reports

Fished coho point last nite , one keeper about 12 lost another about the same size at the boat and released a few . All were caught on a 500 tomic.

Fished coho point last nite , one keeper about 12 lost another about the same size at the boat and released a few . All were caught on a 500 tomic.

You broke the streak! I saw lots of boats out were most boats hooking up?

I didn't see any others with a net out but I wasn't in the pack. To many boats with people who don't have a clue. I was cut off three times in my fist half hour so I moved away from the crowd and it payed off.

Fishing Grief Point this morning. Watching big sail boat round Grief Point coming my way. We are both heading north. He is coming right up on my stern. 100' away and I am thinking WTF! Start the big motor and peel away out of danger. Ended up about 50' away before I was clear. He didn't alter his course. He is under power on autopilot and no one to be seen on deck. Tried calling him on the radio, no answer. Let everyone on 16 know to give him a wide berth as he doesn't have a clue. Heard four separate occasions where the ferry had to give five blasts of his horn and alter course as big yachts were crossing in front of his bow. Its crazy out there.

IMG_0688.JPG

Fishing Grief Point this morning. Watching big sail boat round Grief Point coming my way. We are both heading north. He is coming right up on my stern. 100' away and I am thinking WTF! Start the big motor and peel away out of danger. Ended up about 50' away before I was clear. He didn't alter his course. He is under power on autopilot and no one to be seen on deck. Tried calling him on the radio, no answer. Let everyone on 16 know to give him a wide berth as he doesn't have a clue. Heard four separate occasions where the ferry had to give five blasts of his horn and alter course as big yachts were crossing in front of his bow. Its crazy out there.

View attachment 28893

wow that's not fun. You are running a boat like that and have no idea. How was the fishing? Why so many boats out front today?

Caught two out front yesterday. Seen fish caught there today but not by us. Heard Grants was producing today. Might be worth a look soon.

Thunder21,

I went out right behind you yesterday, but went to Coho…lots of fish there, but mostly 20-24" jack springs. Fished as shallow as 21 ft and as deep as 201 ft. Only 1 wild coho…keepers were all deeper (180-201 ft) on anchovies.

Pretty fun fishing with quite constant action. Went through a pack of bait by 7:30 :)

Went out this morning headed for Coho ****** NW winds but landed one 10lbs on a 602 plug then my company got sea sick and was chumming the waters so we heading for the sandbanks with no luck.

Last edited:
Thunder21,

I went out right behind you yesterday, but went to Coho…lots of fish there, but mostly 20-24" jack springs. Fished as shallow as 21 ft and as deep as 201 ft. Only 1 wild coho…keepers were all deeper (180-201 ft) on anchovies.

Pretty fun fishing with quite constant action. Went through a pack of bait by 7:30 :)
I did the same thing and only brought one pack of bait. Ran out right away and was wishin I had more. Seemed to be the ticket .

Had the day off so figured I should test the waters all my buddies were working to went solo. Coho point non stop action took my 2 and heading in by 7:30. 160ft 602 and 606 plug. Biggest 15lbs fun morning.

Thunder21 I think I saw you pulling out minutes before me.

Had the day off so figured I should test the waters all my buddies were working to went solo. Coho point non stop action took my 2 and heading in by 7:30. 160ft 602 and 606 plug. Biggest 15lbs fun morning.

Thunder21 I think I saw you pulling out minutes before me.
Ya that was me buddy. Went out to backside of Harwood and picked up a couple coho. Then slid down to the mill and landed a 12 lb spring. All on 7 inch herring and big teaser heads . Not bad for a pre work fish.

Backside of Harwood this morning to stay out of the wind. 2 hatch coho and 3 springs biggest 18.5lbs. Nice surprise as it has been a little slow lately. Gotta love a good storm moving in to get the fish moving.

Backside of Harwood this morning to stay out of the wind. 2 hatch coho and 3 springs biggest 18.5lbs. Nice surprise as it has been a little slow lately. Gotta love a good storm moving in to get the fish moving.

Not as lucky as you this morning all we came home with was a hatch coho did splash back a couple undersize springs.

Back