2016 Powell River Reports

Good for you. Fish and chips are great. For us after crabbing up at Stuart it was crab cakes and strip loins for dinner. Ling tomorrow night. LOL

Skunked last night at sandbanks only me and one other boat there but Coho Point was packed with boats not sure how things went over there. I do know of a Hali from Rebecca last night. Hope to get back out this weekend.

Skunked last night at sandbanks only me and one other boat there but Coho Point was packed with boats not sure how things went over there. I do know of a Hali from Rebecca last night. Hope to get back out this weekend.
How was the water, it was terrible at Epsom, battling 5 ft rollers. Had enough and went in.

How was the water, it was terrible at Epsom, battling 5 ft rollers. Had enough and went in.
Yeah weird night was windy all day then flat clam from 5:30 to about 7:30 then the SE came in and started white capping fished the tide then ran in. To much wind around here the last week.

Went out this morning and anchored up for a while lookin for halibut. Ended up feeding dogs for a couple hours so I went trolling over at coho. Ended up with probably 8 or 10 springs but the biggest was only 10 lbs. Was fishin hootchies but switched to big plugs to see if i could get something bigger than 10 but didnt work out. Went back to hootchies and hit a few more. Fished coho from 730 to 1030.

Went out this morning and anchored up for a while lookin for halibut. Ended up feeding dogs for a couple hours so I went trolling over at coho. Ended up with probably 8 or 10 springs but the biggest was only 10 lbs. Was fishin hootchies but switched to big plugs to see if i could get something bigger than 10 but didnt work out. Went back to hootchies and hit a few more. Fished coho from 730 to 1030.

If you don't mind sharing where did you try for Hali? I never made it out but heard similar reports lots of small fish. Some friends up Toba this weekend it was okay nothing crazy but got a few fish.

If you don't mind sharing where did you try for Hali? I never made it out but heard similar reports lots of small fish. Some friends up Toba this weekend it was okay nothing crazy but got a few fish.
I anchored on the edge of the hump that is just west of Rebecca rock. 300 feet of water. I'm still experimenting with the halibut fishing over here. Places that would be a sure thing on the west coast or down in Victoria haven't panned out for me here yet . Hopefully have some luck one of these days .

Hit Coho point this morning 8-noon. 4 Springs and 2 hatchery coho. Lost 1/2 dozen more and threw 4 wild back. Great morning. Now from the deck see there are 19 boats out at Coho so the school must still be there. lots of bait hanging close to the bottom 140 to 160. Fished 90 to 110 all morning.

Hit Coho point this morning 8-noon. 4 Springs and 2 hatchery coho. Lost 1/2 dozen more and threw 4 wild back. Great morning. Now from the deck see there are 19 boats out at Coho so the school must still be there. lots of bait hanging close to the bottom 140 to 160. Fished 90 to 110 all morning.

Your making it up? You didn't actually make it out fishing. You must have been a tag along. You showed up at the dock at 5:00am with a $100 taped to your forehead and you got out at 8:00? Not bad, you must have supplied lunch too! LOL All kidding aside way to go! Did you actually get your boat wet? Or were the "Pensioners" taking you out on a guided trip?

Last edited:
Turned up at the harbour with a pensioner. Held up a sign saying "Too young to retire made to work with Charlie415" Had a dozen condolences in 15 minutes lunch for us both and gas money. Didn't know the effect you had on people. LOL Kidding aside, they spend the time checking for a good spot and have a good idea in advance where to go. Plan to get my boat out next week. Just wish I could throw this bug, 4-5 hours out and I was wiped.

Went out for a troll before work this am. Went to sandbanks to hide from the nw wind. Picked up 4 fish . 2 were small and 2 we're legal around 12 lbs. Green hootchie and confetti white hootchie.

Took my 2yr old out last night trolled Westview for an hr one rod found some bait hit a few undersize but a great time.

Is it just me or have things slowed in PR? I'm heading to Stuart this weekend any report coming from that way? Charlie you back yet?

Just back from a week at Desolation Resort, on Okeover Inlet by Lund, with the family. Boated every day in the inlet, Desolation Sound and in the Discoveries. Jigged most days and fished salmon seriously twice. Had a great morning Tuesday, July 19th at Sarah Point fishing the morning high slack. Half-dozen or so undersized, lost a couple and bonked a nice 24" Chinook for the BBQ along with fat 31" and 33" beauties, call em in the 12-15lb class. Bigger fish were full of large herring and was fishing 4" coyote and silver horde spoons - irish creme, kitchen sink and glo army truck 36-inches behind small 8-inch flashers. Caught fish in 75-210 feet on the riggers meandering between 150 and 400+ ft bottom depth. Trolled relatively fast, 3-3.5 mph speed over ground and rigger lines always at least 30 degrees and sometimes up to 60'ish.

Next morning let the family sleep in a bit too long and missed slack by a bit and, whether related or not, ended up only getting shakers. Tried shallow a few times both days as marking lots of bait and fish in the 30-60 foot depth range, and did get one coho of about 3-4lbs that we lost at the side of the boat, but crazy number of small shakers at those depths so fished deeper. Also gave it a half-assed try Wednesday on the afternoon low slack off Joyce Point just outside of Teakerne Arm as I've always done really well there. Three small ones not worth measuring and not seeing much bait and girls were bored and wanted to get to the falls at the head of Teakerne and hike to Cassel Lake so like I said, not a real try.

Jigging for lings was slower for us than in the past couple of years, as typically caught multiple nice fish a day and could be picky. Still, we managed to get 4 beautiful lings over the first 4-days in the 8-12 lb range so now have a good amount of our favourite fish! Crabbing for monster red rocks was surprisingly good right off the Desolation Resort dock. We harvested only three for a meal but my daughter loved putting down the trap daily to see what she could catch. On top of a few nice red rocks each day she got some monster sculpins and some sole to observe in her bucket before release, fun times!

As always, no shortage of oysters to pick or little necks and butter clams to dig at the beach fronting the Okeover Provincial campsite. Strolled down each afternoon to pick up a half-dozen appy-sized oysties for the bbq to steam open, a quick squeeze of lemon then down the hatch - good eats!!

Weather wasn't great for July but better than forecast and we got some sun most days and it only rained one night and a bit Wed morning. Another great family trip on our amazing BC coast!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Took my 2yr old out last night trolled Westview for an hr one rod found some bait hit a few undersize but a great time.

Is it just me or have things slowed in PR? I'm heading to Stuart this weekend any report coming from that way? Charlie you back yet?
Seems Slow to me. We have some flat landers visiting and had a decent morning at Coho PT two days ago but all small.

Fished Coho Pt yesterday 12-5. A few under size springs, one 10 lb spring, 4 hatchery coho. We released at least 20 coho and two pinks. Steady action all afternoon.

Just got back from Stuart area. Very slow for springs actually got skunked on them. Did see a few get caught just before dark a few of the guide boats were back out solo and seemed to have some luck. A few pinks, but we did do well on Lings. Tried to hit Iron Mines on the way home but it went from glass calm to just getting hammered with wake after wake from all the marine traffic very busy on the water today.

Just back from a week at Desolation Resort, on Okeover Inlet by Lund, with the family. Boated every day in the inlet, Desolation Sound and in the Discoveries. Jigged most days and fished salmon seriously twice. Had a great morning Tuesday, July 19th at Sarah Point fishing the morning high slack. Half-dozen or so undersized, lost a couple and bonked a nice 24" Chinook for the BBQ along with fat 31" and 33" beauties, call em in the 12-15lb class. Bigger fish were full of large herring and was fishing 4" coyote and silver horde spoons - irish creme, kitchen sink and glo army truck 36-inches behind small 8-inch flashers. Caught fish in 75-210 feet on the riggers meandering between 150 and 400+ ft bottom depth. Trolled relatively fast, 3-3.5 mph speed over ground and rigger lines always at least 30 degrees and sometimes up to 60'ish.

Next morning let the family sleep in a bit too long and missed slack by a bit and, whether related or not, ended up only getting shakers. Tried shallow a few times both days as marking lots of bait and fish in the 30-60 foot depth range, and did get one coho of about 3-4lbs that we lost at the side of the boat, but crazy number of small shakers at those depths so fished deeper. Also gave it a half-assed try Wednesday on the afternoon low slack off Joyce Point just outside of Teakerne Arm as I've always done really well there. Three small ones not worth measuring and not seeing much bait and girls were bored and wanted to get to the falls at the head of Teakerne and hike to Cassel Lake so like I said, not a real try.

Jigging for lings was slower for us than in the past couple of years, as typically caught multiple nice fish a day and could be picky. Still, we managed to get 4 beautiful lings over the first 4-days in the 8-12 lb range so now have a good amount of our favourite fish! Crabbing for monster red rocks was surprisingly good right off the Desolation Resort dock. We harvested only three for a meal but my daughter loved putting down the trap daily to see what she could catch. On top of a few nice red rocks each day she got some monster sculpins and some sole to observe in her bucket before release, fun times!

As always, no shortage of oysters to pick or little necks and butter clams to dig at the beach fronting the Okeover Provincial campsite. Strolled down each afternoon to pick up a half-dozen appy-sized oysties for the bbq to steam open, a quick squeeze of lemon then down the hatch - good eats!!

Weather wasn't great for July but better than forecast and we got some sun most days and it only rained one night and a bit Wed morning. Another great family trip on our amazing BC coast!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Great report Ukee. Enjoyed the detailed information. I'm glad you like it up this way.

Will be boating through Powell River area on my way up to Campbell River on Aug 1.

How has the fishing been at Grants?

Worth stopping there or any other spots (coho, hardwood)? Otherwise I will likely just head to the green can and / or hump on the south side of quadra.

Appreciate any insights.

Will be boating through Powell River area on my way up to Campbell River on Aug 1.

How has the fishing been at Grants?

Worth stopping there or any other spots (coho, hardwood)? Otherwise I will likely just head to the green can and / or hump on the south side of quadra.

Appreciate any insights.

Personally I can't get out the Northwest wind has been bad and it's not worth it for me. I'm trying to get out tonight again, but my general though is things have slowed down but you never know I would give it an hour at grants since it's right in your path.

Skunked tonight at Coho. Found some bait released a few undersize. Lost a cannon ball and something snapped in my rigger one of those nights. Good times!

Back