2016 Port Renfrew Reports

Sooo...since when do WCVI chinook show up at Renfrew in early July? Be careful, your lack of knowledge is showing. How many of you guys normally fish hole in the wall at this time of year? There's a reason for that, San Juan and Nitinat fish don't show up until August. Like they have for eons. Patience fellas, based on reports from Hadia Gwaii it sure sounds like they're on their way. And right on time...

CP
Hey Brutus good to hear from you, how did you do on the weekend? Cutplug my lack of knowledge, excuse me but pull your head out of your butt, i have been cut plugging Renfrew for 29 years and do quite well and sorry but i do know the area and how to fish it quite well. It is the slowest i have seen it there, this last June and July is starting off the same. Searun you may be right but swiftsure is slow unless you call catching 6-10 lb feeders on fire. Lets hope you are right and they are coming into the states way offshore because beach fishing in Renfrew is bad, and when you do hook up the seals are on your fish in no time. Oh cutplug maybe you can come to Renfrew and show me and all my plugging buddies your greatness it would be such an honour:rolleyes:, and by the way when was the last time you fished Nitinat in August, fishing has been slow there for many years as the fish don't stage in front of the bar, they shoot right through into the lake.
good to hear from u jackel,we need to reminence about the past some day,u camp at the reserve now??i have a big wall tent setup at prm for the season if u bored and want to talk fishing.as far as the weekend it was slooooow like every body else,got some hali and crabs,but salmon suck i ended up keeping 2 x 5lbs because i have a bbq setup for this weekend at home.

Thank you to the guys who responded to my halibut fishing enquiry along the NE corner of the bank.

I was also wondering about Port Renfrew marina. I haven't stayed there in 4 years. Have there been any big changes since I was last there. Reservations were not required back then. Is it still fine to just show with no reservation. Any comments about what the situation is like in the campground/marina these days would be appreciated.

Regards: TheBigGuy

Fishing on the beach still on fire, saw 4 boated again today, good thing is I have been able to boat at least one every day but it is slow. Brutus i live in Jordan River now so i just drive to Renfrew when I fish, let me know when you are coming out and stop by the house for a visit. Hey did your wife buy a new pair of shoes so you can come fishing again :D. Bigguy PRM is still open i won't ever stay there or give them my money no sirree

Last edited by a moderator:
No big changes there in the last few years. A few new docks and they are getting water in this year. No booking needed they will fit you in. I have not been down this year no point going down when it's been so slow on the beach and seals are taking the few that are being hooked.

Fishing on the beach still on fire, saw 4 boated again today, good thing is I have been able to boat at least one every day but it is slow. Brutus i live in Jordan River now so i just drive to Renfrew when I fish, let me know when you are coming out and stop by the house for a visit. Hey did your wife buy a new pair of shoes so you can come fishing again :D. Bigguy PRM is still open i won't ever stay there or give them my money no sirree
will do mike,not this weekend for sure i have commitment at home but will be up wen to sun next weekeend.PS i dump the one with the shoes,i maried one that likes fishing and hunting

Bigguy PRM is still open i won't ever stay there or give them my money no sirree
I would recommend Port Renfrew Marina to anyone looking for a fish camp. Its a great place and the owners Bud & Rex are great guys. Each year they try and improve things and price wise they keep it real for my money. Havn't been there in a few years but they used to have a little cabin called the Renfrew Hilton if you were looking for more fineries. Lol.

Thanks terrin, and others for the info. PRM is definitely rough around the edges, but as stated it is simply an old style fish camp. No pretense about anything else. Definitely not the place to take the women looking for the finer things. As a fish camp it serves its purpose. The only real negative is dealing with the tide levels on the river. I always found the owners to be very nice to deal with as well. All my trips there very good in the past.

just got back from Renfrew marina yesterday pretty slow fished camper weds thurs manged a 25lb and 15lb crabbing was good water was calm still a good time.

will do mike,not this weekend for sure i have commitment at home but will be up wen to sun next weekeend.PS i dump the one with the shoes,i maried one that likes fishing and hunting

Ha ha 2 thumbs up on the new wife, send me an email or message when you are coming and i can give you my number and address

Well, fishing in Renfrew remains pretty slow. Things are picking up a bit, but the decent fish are still few and far between. We popped a nice 19# unclipped Friday morning at camper, didnt see any other boats hook up and it was slow for us aside from that so we went a ways west and piddled around looking for some hali... No dice! Today we snuck out to the west edge of the bank, lots of small fish, didnt find anything bigger than 8 or 10 lbs. Tons and tons of baitfish at the bank, and a ton of whales as well. Caught a bit of a feeding frenzy from a pod of humpbacks on our way out which was pretty incredible.

Oh well, back next weekend for the Kinsmen derby!

The Jackel, you guys have any luck on Friday after we left? Didnt seem like anything was going on...

The Jackel, you guys have any luck on Friday after we left? Didnt seem like anything was going on...

Saw you hit that fish first thing, good on you. Slow day landed 2 small ones about 8-10 lbs, then when we were pulling the rods the 2 bow rods go off another 8 lber and a 20. Still super slow yours was the only other fish we saw get caught. Hally on Monday, beach on Tuesday, hope it picks up.

We fished Renfrew Friday and Saturday - no love. and it poured rain on Saturday - we returned to a wet camp and decided to head back home.

The beach is still on fire at Renfrew, we stopped by at 11:30 on our way back from hally fishing, 1 fish hit taken by the seal was the report. There was a cut plugging derby there on the wekend in memory of a good cut plugger taken way to soon, 1 fish caught 11.5 lbs, did I say on fire. On a side note hally fishing is strong we landed a 65,65,60 and 45 today.

Crossing my fingers that the fish find their way to the beach soon... You fishing the derby next weekend, Jackel? How far did you have to go for the hali? Shame about the results of the Houdy memorial, I didn't fish it because my cutplugging skills still need some work, but I hope they dont cancel it for next year, its a unique derby and a nice way to pay your respects.

Crossing my fingers that the fish find their way to the beach soon... You fishing the derby next weekend, Jackel? How far did you have to go for the hali? Shame about the results of the Houdy memorial, I didn't fish it because my cutplugging skills still need some work, but I hope they dont cancel it for next year, its a unique derby and a nice way to pay your respects.

No don't do derbys, go west :)

The beach is still on fire at Renfrew, we stopped by at 11:30 on our way back from hally fishing, 1 fish hit taken by the seal was the report. There was a cut plugging derby there on the wekend in memory of a good cut plugger taken way to soon, 1 fish caught 11.5 lbs, did I say on fire. On a side note hally fishing is strong we landed a 65,65,60 and 45 today.
Nice size to those halis, guessing those didnt come from 420?

Back