2016 Port Renfrew Reports

Renfrew is on fire, saw a total of 4 caught today, simply amazing, fish everywhere, bent rods all over the place, bait by the acres, best run in ten years come and get them while they are hot. Dont worry about depth, roll, bait size, color, they will hit anything...**** i am starting to sound like Ukee Charters on another thread

Renfrew is on fire, saw a total of 4 caught today
didn't you mean 40?
or is this a sarcastic report.
If so...it's worth a good laugh, as some posts are designed as business getters and little more.

Sooo...since when do WCVI chinook show up at Renfrew in early July? Be careful, your lack of knowledge is showing. How many of you guys normally fish hole in the wall at this time of year? There's a reason for that, San Juan and Nitinat fish don't show up until August. Like they have for eons. Patience fellas, based on reports from Hadia Gwaii it sure sounds like they're on their way. And right on time...

CP

Oh yeah, sure surprising there aren't as many beach based Fraser fish as in recent years. I guess it's got to be some kind of amazing coincidence that just east of Renfrew they're dealing with massive restrictions based on a forecast low return. Weird eh?

CP

Sooo...since when do WCVI chinook show up at Renfrew in early July? Be careful, your lack of knowledge is showing. How many of you guys normally fish hole in the wall at this time of year? There's a reason for that, San Juan and Nitinat fish don't show up until August. Like they have for eons. Patience fellas, based on reports from Hadia Gwaii it sure sounds like they're on their way. And right on time...

CP
Lack of knowledge? Cmon thats slowww for Renfrew at this time of year. Who said anything about WCVI chinook how about the Columbians?

Or, the reason we are not seeing these fish where we are accustomed to encountering them is they are taking the outside tack as opposed to running the beach and banks. All the fish showing up on north island are way out on 50 fathom line (reliable source) so if you follow that tack they can stray even further off shore by the time they are down further south. Good chance they are out 35 to 40 miles...so we could miss the Columbia River fish almost entirely. Unless you are willing to take a long exploratory trip out. :eek:

Looks to me like the Columbia River return is trending on track....so much for DFO being a bunch of voodoo scientists...the data suggests they actually know what they are doing. Shocking. I also see the run timing is a little late this year as compared to last.

http://www.fpc.org/web/apps/adultsalmon/R_dailyadultcountsgraph_resultsV2.php

The website doesn't work, Can you plesse fix it ?

Or, the reason we are not seeing these fish where we are accustomed to encountering them is they are taking the outside tack as opposed to running the beach and banks. All the fish showing up on north island are way out on 50 fathom line (reliable source) so if you follow that tack they can stray even further off shore by the time they are down further south. Good chance they are out 35 to 40 miles...so we could miss the Columbia River fish almost entirely. Unless you are willing to take a long exploratory trip out. :eek:

Looks to me like the Columbia River return is trending on track....so much for DFO being a bunch of voodoo scientists...the data suggests they actually know what they are doing. Shocking. I also see the run timing is a little late this year as compared to last.

http://www.fpc.org/web/apps/adultsalmon/R_dailyadultcountsgraph_resultsV2.php

Renfrew is on fire, saw a total of 4 caught today, simply amazing, fish everywhere, bent rods all over the place, bait by the acres, best run in ten years come and get them while they are hot. Dont worry about depth, roll, bait size, color, they will hit anything...**** i am starting to sound like Ukee Charters on another thread
lol u havent change a bit,if i see u on the water i will go run my flashers between your cut plugs lmfao

Last edited:
Hey Brutus good to hear from you, how did you do on the weekend? Cutplug my lack of knowledge, excuse me but pull your head out of your butt, i have been cut plugging Renfrew for 29 years and do quite well and sorry but i do know the area and how to fish it quite well. It is the slowest i have seen it there, this last June and July is starting off the same. Searun you may be right but swiftsure is slow unless you call catching 6-10 lb feeders on fire. Lets hope you are right and they are coming into the states way offshore because beach fishing in Renfrew is bad, and when you do hook up the seals are on your fish in no time. Oh cutplug maybe you can come to Renfrew and show me and all my plugging buddies your greatness it would be such an honour:rolleyes:, and by the way when was the last time you fished Nitinat in August, fishing has been slow there for many years as the fish don't stage in front of the bar, they shoot right through into the lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice info on the CR counts but these are all spring/summer runs & the springs are known for not following the coast but coming straight in to the river from far offshore. Also, the blob is still around; it's just down deeper now & doesn't show-up on the surface temperature scans. I just got back from Hippa & it was about the slowest Salmon fishing I have ever experienced although the 4 meter seas & 40 kn winds didn't help.

Hey Brutus good to hear from you, how did you do on the weekend? Cutplug my lack of knowledge, excuse me but pull your head out of your butt, i have been cut plugging Renfrew for 29 years and do quite well and sorry but i do know the area and how to fish it quite well. It is the slowest i have seen it there, this last June and July is starting off the same. Searun you may be right but swiftsure is slow unless you call catching 6-10 lb feeders on fire. Lets hope you are right and they are coming into the states way offshore because beach fishing in Renfrew is bad, and when you do hook up the seals are on your fish in no time. Oh cutplug maybe you can come to Renfrew and show me and all my plugging buddies your greatness it would be such an honour:rolleyes:, and by the way when was the last time you fished Nitinat in August, fishing has been slow there for many years as the fish don't stage in front of the bar, they shoot right through into the lake.

Ouch!!! My comment wasn't about yours or anyone's knowledge or history regarding fishing the area, it was directed at those who choose to create a link between a forecasted large abundance of WCVI hatchery origin 4yr old springs, and the slow June & July Renfrew is experiencing so far this year. That kind of thinking simply doesn't make sense. My second comment was directed at the idea that perhaps there may be a link between the zone 1 low abundance of Fraser fish, which historically are prevalent in the area at this time of year and the slow fishing.

My sincere apologies if you or anyone interpreted my comment to indicate you don't know how to fish Renfrew and don't have a long history there. That wasn't the point. I hope my head is now officially out of my butt. :oops: (Note to self...never post with a few beers under your belt!)

FYI I too have been fishing Renfrew & Nitinat since the mid 80's although not as much in the past decade or so. Maybe a couple of trips a year as I moor my boat closer to Victoria, and prefer to fish farther afield on longer trips these days. I do love the place though, always mooch when conditions permit, and have fond memories of the days when the whole fleet was tinnies mooching from Owen Pt to Camper, so any time you want to school me on cut plugging I'm happy to join you. Lol...

CP

Last edited:
Ouch!!! My comment wasn't about yours or anyone's knowledge or history regarding fishing the area, it was directed at those who choose to create a link between a forecasted large abundance of WCVI hatchery origin 4yr old springs, and the slow June & July Renfrew is experiencing so far this year. That kind of thinking simply doesn't make sense. My second comment was directed at the idea that perhaps there may be a link between the zone 1 low abundance of Fraser fish, which historically are prevalent in the area at this time of year and the slow fishing.

My sincere apologies if you or anyone interpreted my comment to indicate you don't know how to fish Renfrew and don't have a long history there. That wasn't the point. I hope my head is now officially out of my butt. :oops: (Note to self...never post with a few beers under your belt!)

FYI I too have been fishing Renfrew & Nitinat since the mid 80's although not as much in the past decade or so. Maybe a couple of trips a year as I moor my boat closer to Victoria, and prefer to fish farther afield on longer trips these days. I do love the place though, always mooch when conditions permit, and have fond memories of the days when the whole fleet was tinnies mooching from Owen Pt to Camper, so any time you want to school me on cut plugging I'm happy to join you. Lol...

CP
Ha ha no problem I think we are all a little worried about the situation the fishery is in. Oh boy do i miss the good ole days you describe,just moochers on the shore, first light first pass fish on. Those days are far and few between now, you should get back out there, there is still about 10 of us that hog the reefs at Camper and we still do good but it is an addiction to fish that way as you know. Tight lines, no offence taken as i can be a bit grumpy before the first coffee kicks in :D

You go first :p when you going back out to Renfrew
Heading up tomorrow afternoon! Probably fish the beach all weekend but may sneak out west if the weathers kind. Still not sure what boat you fish on so youll have to give me a wave or something if you see us!

So I've pretty much got the picture when it comes to spring fishing from reading the recent reports. Super slow fishing on the beach, and not much better on the bank.
I was considering going up in August, primarily as a trip targeting halibut. I've usually fished the NE corner of the bank before, and never had any problems getting into 25 - 50 lb Hali the times I've been out there. But I haven't been there in a while.

How has the Hali fishing been this year. I haven't read a lot of reports on how the Hali fishing. Is that just from a lack of reports, or is it from a lack of Halibut. How would you rate the Hali fishing on the bank this season. Also wondering if there's been many changes at Port Renfrew marina if I wanted to camp and moor there. Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Regards: TheBigGuy

Last edited:
Heading up tomorrow afternoon! Probably fish the beach all weekend but may sneak out west if the weathers kind. Still not sure what boat you fish on so youll have to give me a wave or something if you see us!

Boat is the Heavy hauler, 20 ft Northwest Center Console will be there Friday also. Bigguy hally fishing has been ok, i dont fish the bank as i like spots that hold bigger fish, the fn's have been long lining along the ears and the guides are running the northeast corner but back or east on the line in a spot 420 ft, not my type of fishery, toooo deep for small fish!

Ah yes, I see that boat lots as Im heading up the river. Looks really solidly built! The only 420' hole I know is on the Northwest tip of the closure, atleast according to my navionics app - I havent fished there personally. We fished along the West edge of the closure last time we ventured out that far, doing the same troll as the 20+ guide boats that were out there. Ive been out to the Northeast corner a couple times but only found dogfish and cod. I also prefer to fish the beach but its been so slow as of late...

See ya Friday :)

Back