2016 Port Renfrew Reports

Hmm, the bass wont touch a cutplug herring? I had always just assumed you guys cutplugged to drop the flasher. Guess I never thought to ask a cutplugger his reasoning before. If thats the case then Ill definitely look into giving it a go, at least until the bass thin out or move on. I imagine theres a pretty steep learning curve, but conventional trolling with that much cod in the water is an exercise in futility!

Hmm, the bass wont touch a cutplug herring? I had always just assumed you guys cutplugged to drop the flasher. Guess I never thought to ask a cutplugger his reasoning before. If thats the case then Ill definitely look into giving it a go, at least until the bass thin out or move on. I imagine theres a pretty steep learning curve, but conventional trolling with that much cod in the water is an exercise in futility!
I think they may have been in a different area than you! I can't see switching to bait making a difference but that's just my opinion. We run bait one side and gear the other all the time, have caught cod on both! I'd just pull up my gear and try a different spot if it were me wading through p.Cod. Just my 2 cents. Cutplugging brings me back to my childhood with DAD! There are so many new options in spoons etc. I love it all!

Thats sort of what I thought too, but I did mention that we fished the beach in my post. Saw the guy who landed the 42# fish at Camper, and Ive seen him there before as well. We pulled our gear several times to relocate, and covered a lot of area - from Owen Point to the Bonilla lighthouse, mostly focusing on the popular spots, ranging from 40-200 feet of water - and found shitfish everywhere we went.

I guess its up to The Jackel to set the record straight, if he chooses!

Thats sort of what I thought too, but I did mention that we fished the beach in my post. Saw the guy who landed the 42# fish at Camper, and Ive seen him there before as well. We pulled our gear several times to relocate, and covered a lot of area - from Owen Point to the Bonilla lighthouse, mostly focusing on the popular spots, ranging from 40-200 feet of water - and found shitfish everywhere we went.

I guess its up to The Jackel to set the record straight, if he chooses!

Don't know what to say, fished today, no bass, haven't caught one in a few years. Fed the seal a couple of tasty dinners again, they are out of control, DFO needs to pull their heads out of their asses and do something about it. Lets see, hhhmmm salmon stocks are at an all time low, restrictions coming down the pipe to protect the salmon. Seals population at a all time high eating salmon for breakfast lunch and dinner, it is a joke. Maybe the people who are native to this land should start to harvest the seals, make things out of the fur, sell the meat to Japan, a win win situation.

So you were fishing the beach then The Jackel?

Maybe DFO needs to start an orca hatchery program, thatll take care of the seals!

The bass are gone! Lots of boats out today, only saw 2 fish caught in like 9 or 10 hours of trolling. One of the boats from PRM had a 35# beauty that made a bunch of long runs in all sorts of directions, looked like a fun fish to play!

Feeding the seals in Renfrew continues to be strong, fed a high 20's to the prick again on Friday, landed 2 others 18-20, lost one other. Hey adv bass are gone but sole have come on strong :D

Yeah caught a few of those on saturday, but nowhere near as many as the black bass the weekend before!! Was also only fishing 2 lines as I was on my own and wanted to relax a bit.

Here's an action shot I got with my phone of these guys netting their 35ish pound salmon after a hell of a fight - fish already in the net at this point. Hope they dont mind me posting this, I tried to let them know I got a few pics of the action but they didnt seem to hear me clearly!

20160611_125807.jpg

Gateway has a boat launch, but no dock. You have to have 2 people - dump the boat, run it to a moorage location while the tow vehicle driver parks the trailer.
Stosh

I launch there solo all the time. There usually isn't a line of people trying to all launch at once. If you are alone and someone is waiting the marina staff are always willing to lend a hand.

Went to PR for the first time with guide Dan Harvey of Pacific Sportfishing. Got our limits by 2pm. Learned a lot and had a great Father's Day.
He took us further out at sea while the bank was apparently very slow that day.

Back