2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

From the Mowachaht Muchalaht Facebook Page:

Gold River Boat Ramp Update (Monday, Sept 19, 2016):
The MV Essington Pile Driver vessel has arrived in the Gold River harbour in Nootka Sound. Demolition and new construction will be starting this week and could last up to 4 weeks. Works on dry ground will be the first task as some concrete work is prepared. Next will be the removal and disposal of the old docks. Then installing piles into the water and on the ramp that will secure the new floating docks sections. Then lastly will be the installation of the new docks into position. After meeting with the Captain of the vessel today we confirm that there will be little to no interruption of the ramp for small craft to launch. If there are any delays they will be minimal. We also have an engineer onsite as well as an environmental biologist monitoring all activities, along with our project manager.

It's happening!!! Can't wait to see and use finished product.

Thinking of doing a last run for bottom fish out to nootka, the winds look good this week. Anyone been out for coho lately?

I was up the weekend of the 10th, 11th did some bottom fishing and spent a couple of hours for salmon. Out off the red can one low teen spring, lots of shakers and a couple of native coho.

Looks great. Wonder if they will manage launches from the road side section of dock and loading from the river side dock? Its looking pretty impressive.

Does look good, wish I used it. Wish tahsis would redo the ramp or jus dig it deeper on one side even.

Has anyone been fishing nootka or esperenza lately?
Has anyone dropped a prawn trap in September this year?

should help with alot of the previous frustration of launching there. great to see them doing this work! hope there rates don't go up too much because of it.

should help with alot of the previous frustration of launching there. great to see them doing this work! hope there rates don't go up too much because of it.
Don't give them any idea's-they are the most expensive game around (in the province) from where I've been!!

Now for the bizarre story of our trip. Trolling near Coopte Pt on Saturday morning. One of the rods slowly bent down and back up again - typical sign of running through yet another bunch of jellyfish. Pulled up the downrigger and saw fishing line caught around the ball. I had my son put the boat in neutral immediately to avoid tangling in the prop. Pulled up the other downrigger and more line was around it. There were no other boats around me - that was the first scan I did to see if I had somehow hooked someone's line but I knew that couldn't be the case. After getting the line untangled on one side, I started pulling it in by hand - it started pulling back! Managed to get it to the boat and netted a 20 pounder. Untangled the other side and pulled in the rod and reel ... it was still in the rod holder which had apparently ripped from the side of the unlucky persons boat when the fish hit. I called out on channel 16 multiple times asking for anyone who had lost a rod and reel to call me. I had one person meet up with me at Moucha Bay but it wasn't his. I was really hoping to be able to return it to the owner along with the salmon that had remained attached (the hook fell out as soon as I got it in the net - we had lost 3 in a row but somehow this one stayed hooked - bizarre). I let the staff at Moucha Bay know but so far no one has reported anything. If the story rings a bell for anyone on the forum, please let me know. I've washed the reel and rod down with fresh water and it seems good as new - also have the snapped rod holder you can mount on the wall as a memento :). If you can identify it, I have some vacuum sealed chinook fillets that will accompany the return of your rod and reel!
Saratoga:

I got the rod and reel back from Mike ( Codfather ). I can't thank you enough. I would like to buy you a bottle of your favorite. Short of posting e-mail addresses I don't quite know hoe to connect with you.

Robert

Hey Robert - very cool - I'm really glad to hear it got back to you in one piece! That makes for the perfect conclusion to the story! I think you have to consider that a good luck rod going forward - just make sure it goes in a solid rod holder next time!! Haha. I really do appreciate the offer but seriously no worries - I am stoked to have been able to get it back to you (thanks to your network of friends of course) - such an unlikely set of circumstances. I'll be back in Nootka for a week over the August long weekend again next year staying at Moucha Bay. If you and Mike are around, it would be cool to meet up for a beer. Hoping you have a few stories of trophy Chinook being landed on that rod next year!! Cheers.

Interesting note from the Salmon Head Recovery Program. We fished Nootka in mid July and of the 8 Chinook we caught, 2 were clipped. We heard earlier today that one in fact had the ID Tag (Caught at Bajo) and it indicated the fish was 3 years old from the Okanogan River. That is one heck of a journey.

Hi All!!! Looking to fish Nootka next July.. Just wondering how long of a trip is it from Moutcha Bay to Bajo reef?? Is there Hali's there or do you have to venture further? Or any Hali's in the inlet?? Thanks in advance..

Al....

It's a solid hour and a half to Bajo.
Anywhere off the mouth in 225 to 250 for Halis.
New RCA's at Bajo and Escalante.
Stay at Tuta. 1/2 hour less run to the fish.

Back