2016 Nanaimo Reports

image.jpeg Had a productive day at Thrasher. Pink Sink and Watermelon Spoons at 110 to 200 on the rigger.

Was out this evening for a quick troll out from fingers and into neck point
Had 1 keeper bunch of small ones
Irish cream coho killer and herring aide
Small spoons 130/160ft
Couple wild coho

Left the salmon gear at home today and went out past entrance to try for some prawns. Soaked the traps for a couple hours in known producing spots and came up with a big ZERO...

We were rewarded with this guy while we were getting blown around waiting for the traps to soak! I will be leaving the traps at home for the rest of the summer as my last 2 prawning attempts has netted 1 tiny prawn...

Attachments

• 20160612_134506.jpg
    20160612_134506.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 131
Left the salmon gear at home today and went out past entrance to try for some prawns. Soaked the traps for a couple hours in known producing spots and came up with a big ZERO...

We were rewarded with this guy while we were getting blown around waiting for the traps to soak! I will be leaving the traps at home for the rest of the summer as my last 2 prawning attempts has netted 1 tiny prawn...
It's always tuff prawning at the end of the commercial prawn season! Try not to get discouraged as they can fish so much more gear in "known areas" it's tuff to compete. Plus this being a warm water year try fishing a little deeper might find some left overs.

Made it out this afternoon for a shake down run. Dropped the crab traps and headed out fishing near Entrance. Marked lots of bait balls and lost one around 6 lbs at the side of the boat. No other action in the hour of fishing.

The boat ran great and all the maintenance paid off. We went in and checked the traps and were rewarded with 6 nice dungeness and 1 large red rocky.

We are going to get out a couple times this week in the evenings before the derby this weekend :).

Anybody been fishing thrasher lately? Might be headed there tomorrow. Any recent reports are much appreciated.

Anybody been fishing thrasher lately? Might be headed there tomorrow. Any recent reports are much appreciated.

I stopped there for a couple of hours last night. Lots of feed and shakers. I just grabbed a ling cod and carried on.

Went out for a couple hours this afternoon looking for coho and found a bunch of neck point in 80-120 feet on the rigger in 500-900. White turd hoochie on one side and anchovies on the other. Could barely get both rods in the water and if we did it was double header time... Lots of 17-20 inch hatchery fish out there too!

When we were just about to leave i had one Rod cleared and then bang big Chinook on the anchovie reel was screaming... Landed and released a 15+ lber( didn't weigh because we threw it back).

Great Father's Day, hope you all had the same.

Went out for a couple hours this afternoon looking for coho and found a bunch of neck point in 80-120 feet on the rigger in 500-900. White turd hoochie on one side and anchovies on the other. Could barely get both rods in the water and if we did it was double header time... Lots of 17-20 inch hatchery fish out there too!

When we were just about to leave i had one Rod cleared and then bang big Chinook on the anchovie reel was screaming... Landed and released a 15+ lber( didn't weigh because we threw it back).

Great Father's Day, hope you all had the same.

Glad to hear you had such a great day of fishing on Father's Day. Good on you for releasing the spring. Good karma for sure.

All in all we had a good weekend. We fished the Silva Bay derby and got soaked on Saturday. Fishing with two teenagers that partied the night before doesn't make for a productive day lol. Found the bait and had a couple of shakers and Jakes buddy Mitchell lost a good line peeler after playing it for around 7 minutes. That one hit at 73 feet on a green spatterback hootchie. Crabbing was still decent.

Sunday we got out late and only fished an hour before taking in the prize ceremonies. The derby had a great turnout again and the prizes were even better this year. Really cool to see the kid's rod and reel setups donated and seeing those little ones eyes light up when they got to go up and get them. Kudos to everyone that is involved in putting this event on. Lots of work goes into it and the effort is reflected for sure. Congrats to all the winners. We met some new folks, bs'd with old friends, had a free lunch, and headed back out fishing.

We must of hit the afternoon bite just right. We found the bait again and just kept hitting the same contour with multiple passes. We boxed 5 springs between 7-12 lbs. Funny how that works after the derby ha ha. Quite a few other boats were landing and playing fish. The weather was beautiful and water was flat calm. We headed home and the boys cleaned up and washed the rig for me and they even bought me some cold ones o_O:)! It was a great way to end a nice fathers day :cool:.

All in all we had a good weekend. We fished the Silva Bay derby and got soaked on Saturday. Fishing with two teenagers that partied the night before doesn't make for a productive day lol. Found the bait and had a couple of shakers and Jakes buddy Mitchell lost a good line peeler after playing it for around 7 minutes. That one hit at 73 feet on a green spatterback hootchie. Crabbing was still decent.

Sunday we got out late and only fished an hour before taking in the prize ceremonies. The derby had a great turnout again and the prizes were even better this year. Really cool to see the kid's rod and reel setups donated and seeing those little ones eyes light up when they got to go up and get them. Kudos to everyone that is involved in putting this event on. Lots of work goes into it and the effort is reflected for sure. Congrats to all the winners. We met some new folks, bs'd with old friends, had a free lunch, and headed back out fishing.

We must of hit the afternoon bite just right. We found the bait again and just kept hitting the same contour with multiple passes. We boxed 5 springs between 7-12 lbs. Funny how that works after the derby ha ha. Quite a few other boats were landing and playing fish. The weather was beautiful and water was flat calm. We headed home and the boys cleaned up and washed the rig for me and they even bought me some cold ones o_O:)! It was a great way to end a nice fathers day :cool:.
Wow, that really was a late start!

Been out twice this week. Monday in the pm, found shaker and borderline legals tight to Neck Point. Trolled over toward the fingers and found some bait balls that were swarming with coho. Caught about 18 before I had my 2 hatcheries. Was fishing home security and no banana spoons 50 and 70 feet.
Wednesday morning. Did the same areas only switching to anchovies. Released at boatside 4 legal looking springs and a few smaller ones in short order. I was hoping for bigger. Fishing 50-70 and then 60-90. It got a little to lumpy for my girlfriends comfort so I pulled the pin for the morning but came back in pm. Was slow at neck so I moved to fingers. Found the coho again but it quickly became a salad bar all around the fingers and Hudson. Moved back to Neck point in tight again and it heated up while I was gone. Huge bait balls suspended and on the bottom. Had 1 screaming hit that didn't stick. A couple shakers and a hatchery coho. Ran out of bait and switched to my spoons. It was like someone turned off a switch. Not a single hit. Desided to head home and cook up a coho dinner.

Last edited:
Looked like a beautiful evening out on the water..I was watching from Neck Point park..Lots of boats out around the fingers and further out in deep water.
Much happening?
If I had a place to park the boat here in Nanaimo some weekends I'd have been out there with yous all..that leads me to a question..anybody have secured? parking in North end of Nanaimo?..fiancee has a townhouse..(no parking for rv or boats)
Just throwing that out there..I could "trade" secure parking in Courtenay if needed

For the number of boats out there this weekend I figured there would be more reports of fish, so I will post mine. I picked up this beauty right in front of five seals watching me jig. At one point I thought one of the buggers had grabbed my fish and I was trying as hard as I could to save my gear, by palming my reel to put the brakes on . Turned out the fish was bigger than I had originally thought when I had IMG_1376.JPG hooked it. I was glad to slip a net under this guy with those others seals less than 30 yards away.

Back