2016 Nanaimo Reports

image.jpeg Fishing out of silva bay today with the wife, targeting the bottom. Drift mooching the reefs produced this catch. Too my suprize a soft artificial action tail lure out produced bait.

Looking to head out to Thrasher saturday morning? any tips on what part to fish what depths of water and what depth to put the gear? Have never had much luck on this side of the island but thought to give it another shot. Thanks.

Looking to head out to Thrasher saturday morning? any tips on what part to fish what depths of water and what depth to put the gear? Have never had much luck on this side of the island but thought to give it another shot. Thanks.
I haven't been up in a bit, but have you seen this: http://www.soundernews.com/lifestyle/fishing-report-for-september-13-2016.html ?
As far as where, what and depth, you're guess is as good as most others. The favorite attacks I think are (probably in close to this order); The "halfmoon" 120'-140' contour below(south) of the marker that runs west to the can. The shallows that run around the marker and other rocks. Along the dropoff in front (north) of the marker. The deep in front of the dropoff. The deep to the east of marker.
Hopefully somebody has more insight.
Good luck.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Out again today fishing thrasher reefs. We went deeper and got larger fish! Found these two at 100' the lager is an eighteen pounder.
Targeting salmon on the north side with a king fisher spoon on one side and purple haze hoochie on the other at the low slack, both produced. We started shallow 40' and began hitting fish when dropping to 70'. Managed one keeper releasing 4 undersize. The bite was over for us by noon.

Last edited:
Nice catch Crow. First time I see these blue fish. What are they?
They are Lingcod, which are from the same fish family as Greenling, but treated sepretly under the regulations.

Last edited:
Those Ling Cod actually eat something notsure what and it poke there intestine creating the blue stain to the lingcod.

From what i was told its the die from the gallbladder . The gallbladder can leek small amounts of fluid in smaller/younger ling turning the meat that color. Over time it goes away !
It kind of makes sense as the liquid in the gallbladder is the same color ???

There was several boats out a few days before the storm.
Anyone caught anything? Is there still some fish hanging around?

There was several boats out a few days before the storm.
Anyone caught anything? Is there still some fish hanging around?
I was out on Monday, there were lots of very small springs and actually got into a double header with 5ish lb coho, one wild released and the other went crazy near the boat and got off.

I would say she's done but yeah few chum at some point not sure why though. Just my opinion.

Has anyone ever fished for chum out front of Nanaimo? Looking to give it a try anyone have any tips

Hey, I managed to get one two days ago off the fingers....total newbie, just started fishing last year. I asked around after the fact, was told I was lucky to get even the 1, I was doin' it all wrong, was fishing spring style.......was told chum like a shorter leader, and to troll dead slow. Good luck...

Back