2016 Gulf Islands Reports

What great information Bugs, thank you. Most [90%] are under 11 inches. There are so many of them, and there have been for most of the summer, that it has to bode well for the future.

bump... I'll be over in the gulf islands for the holidays and will be posting reports if/when I get out fishing. I was over on saltspring a few weeks ago and trolled around and dragged up a LOT of shakers in the 12-20" range but no keepers for me that day. I've heard guys are catching the odd keeper lately though they don't seem to be posting much on this reports thread for some reason :). Hoping the winds are light over xmas/new years so I can add some reports. In the meantime, if anyone else it out in the gulf islands pls provide an update. thx

Got out prawning out of Ladysmith last Friday with my dad and I, we caught our 200 prawn limit each,and we trolled around for some winter springs while the traps were soaking and came up with nothing. but it was a nice day out.

Got out again today, we didn't do very well on prawns today but we managed to troll up a nice winter spring (66cm). Another great day on the water.

Was out fishing 2 of the past 3 days in and around galiano. Managed to pick up 3 keepers in that time and lots of shakers were released to swim another day. Weather (wind) dictated a lot of where I could fish so I tried a few new spots to stay away from the slop and seemed to find fish at most locations after a bit of time.

Skinny G's were all I had down between 60-130 and got fish at all depths. Covered lots of ground including all thru active pass and at some spots on saltspring. Nice to be able to drag up a few of these awesome eating fish in the heart of winter. The stomachs had 3-4" herring in them which matched up pretty well to my gear.

Back