2016 Bamfield Tuna Shootout

Charter Tofino

Sorry for the late start on this, we have been busy finalizing some last minute details. Unfortunately I will be away for a few months so will not be able to attend or help organize the derby. We have had Getbent and Harper volunteer to help run the show and I'm sure they will do an awesome job. Below is the website with a lot of the details. The dates are September 9th-17th. On the opening day (Friday September 9th) there will be no official fishing, contestants are invited to an opening dinner.

http://www.bamfieldtunashootout.com

Registration information can be obtained by emailing contact@bamfieldtunashootout.com

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to bump this up as it appears the Tuna season is getting a kickoff over the next couple of days.
Hope some of you veteran Shootout captains are in for another year and always looking for new guys to join in on this great derby!

Thanks,

Guy

swell dancer is in this year. no more deck hand, gonna try and captain! now to find a crew!

i hope they all that size for the avg! good job tuna don! and crew!

I'm compiling a list of boats looking for crew members and also potential crew members looking for boats during the shootout to see if we can match you guys up. Post on this thread or send me a pm with your details and we will see what we can do to help.

7 weeks to go!!

I'd be in for a crew spot, as would 2 others with experience and gear. Our captain can't make it this year, so if anyone with a big boat wants to break into this thing let me know...

I'd be in for a crew spot, as would 2 others with experience and gear. Our captain can't make it this year, so if anyone with a big boat wants to break into this thing let me know...
Hey Brad, we may have a spot or two open but am sure there will be guys looking for deckies as well.
I will be in touch.

Guy

Any potential captains that are looking to fill some seats please shoot me a message. We have some good guys looking to crew during the shootout.

We're getting close now guys!!

Seems there is less hype this year than in yrs past for the Tuna Shootout, I'm hoping this is because everybody is busy salmon fishing and its not because guys aren't going to make it out!

Probably a combination of strong NW wind keeping most boats out of the canyons for the last month and less activity on this forum.

Anyways, Entry fees are pouring in and we have a great group of sponsors. it's going to be an awesome week once again!!

Seems there is less hype this year than in yrs past for the Tuna Shootout, I'm hoping this is because everybody is busy salmon fishing and its not because guys aren't going to make it out!
It's hard to get hyped about tuna fishing when there aren't any with in 60 plus miles

It's hard to get hyped about tuna fishing when there aren't any with in 60 plus miles
Closest edge to Tofino today: 76 miles. The good news is if it's not blowing hard nw out there like it has for the last 3 weeks in can move in 2 to 6 miles a day. Just have to wait for it.

I'm hyped about the shootout. I can hardly sleep cuz I keep thinking about being out there and spotting birds on the horizons then spotting jumpers followed by quadruple hook ups as we troll thru then holding a school of frenzied tuna underneath the boat while chumming and sliding into a bait stop (where'd we get the bait?!) followed by fatigued arms and stacked slush buckets and stupid grins...

Edit: I forgot the exclamation marks!!!!

They are coming!!! By the time the derby rolls around it will be game on.
Gonna be a stellar Derby... Just secured a sponsor that provides some tasty eats...

The silence leading up to this event is intense! Only two days till the opening, a little longer before the highlights of the events start pouring in and I can't wait to hear about them.

A lot of chatter amongst the crews attending that's for sure, guys are stoked. It's in the hands of the fish gods now.
The details of the derby are all hammered out, great sponsors and events taking place during the week. And as a bonus, still lots of springs and coho rolling around the sound.
Bamfield in September can be magic.

Back