2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

i posted this photo 2X and found the same results .the boat/ship has its net out (bouys observered) and a whale is of the net line.sail rock for sure its 75m tall

Just got back from a week up in Barkley - made if off-shore one day and got 3 teen Chinook and a Coho. Next day inside behind Fleming - one Chinook and 3 rock fish. Next - skunked. Wed. started at Swale Rock - one Chinook off Turner Islet (teens), then to Fleming (rockfish) then to Kirby - 31 lb Spring!!! on a Irish Cream spoon and green onion glow flasher at about 10 minutes before the mid-day slack tide. That combo got us most of our fish all trip (3 more Coho, a few more rockfish)- no point using chovies due to the dozens of shakers everywhere.... Thurs so foggy we stayed at the Wall - after 3 hours and no hits went in for breakfast to find the kicker electric lift wouldn't work so had to go rig it to stay up and trolling was done for the trip. Tried drift jigging for Hali behind Fleming but just got another rockfish before it got too windy. Fun week! 64 pounds of fillet in the freezer :) Thrilled about getting 2 tyee in our boat in the 16 months we've had the boat!

Attachments

• DSCF0051 (1).JPG
    DSCF0051 (1).JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF0052 (1).JPG
    DSCF0052 (1).JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 123
Heading up to Bamfield tomorrow, also looking for any updated reports, particularly offshore reports as it looks like the weather has been good offshore.

Good Offshore? What report did you read? It's been terrible for days offshore 2 meter+seas
Every report accept Environment Canada (which have been far from reliable). That said, the forecasts have picked up since I last looked but still look fishable.

BouyWeather
http://www.buoyweather.com/forecast/marine-weather/@48.75799945448167,-125.26473999023439

Tofino
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/frank_island

Le Perouse Bank
https://www.windfinder.com/report/la_perouse_bank_buoy

Long Beach
http://magicseaweed.com/Vancouver-Island-North-Long-Beach-Surf-Report/324/

Just got back from a week up in Barkley - made if off-shore one day and got 3 teen Chinook and a Coho. Next day inside behind Fleming - one Chinook and 3 rock fish. Next - skunked. Wed. started at Swale Rock - one Chinook off Turner Islet (teens), then to Fleming (rockfish) then to Kirby - 31 lb Spring!!! on a Irish Cream spoon and green onion glow flasher at about 10 minutes before the mid-day slack tide. That combo got us most of our fish all trip (3 more Coho, a few more rockfish)- no point using chovies due to the dozens of shakers everywhere.... Thurs so foggy we stayed at the Wall - after 3 hours and no hits went in for breakfast to find the kicker electric lift wouldn't work so had to go rig it to stay up and trolling was done for the trip. Tried drift jigging for Hali behind Fleming but just got another rockfish before it got too windy. Fun week! 64 pounds of fillet in the freezer :) Thrilled about getting 2 tyee in our boat in the 16 months we've had the boat!
That fish would have won the bamfield derby this weekend .. Nice work !

heard Adam that ta work here at the nook , won with a shy 29 lber
i will be kind , fishin not very good right now
the odd fish here and there , pretty hard gettin up in the am ,
limited to inshore this trip for us ,
the few guys venturing out from here not doin very good offshore either ,
most dont feel like runnin up to tofino

might pull the pin on this trip a little sooner , the Nook is a ghosttown again
sorry for the doom and gloom , hope someone else has a more positive report than us..

gd lk

fd

Thanks for the report FD.
We will be up in Julia at the float cabin from the 12th to the 16. Sure hope things get rolling by then.

image.png
How did the derby go?
Was toughsleddin at best , i was lucky to have albernifisher at the helm of The beast dragging our gear over the hotspots, we missed third place by 3 lbs all in it was an awesome weekend , never been to the Seabeam and not had an awesome time .. We fell short with a 15,18,22.4 lber

Just got back from 10 days at the nook! Yes fishing was slow but we still got fish we just had to work hard for them! But hey that's part of the fun!!! Best luck was at sail rock about a mile offshore using a white hoochie down on the rigger 49 ft! So much doom
And gloom about slow fishing in Barkley sound. It's fishing people not catching it's just nice not being at work and enjoying time out on the water. Catching the fish is the added bonus

call it what ya will Brad , glad ya had a good trip ,
some spend big bucks to come out here , just givin them an honest report ,
weve got 7 salmon in 4 short outtings , not complaining ,
just no where close ta where the fishery should be typically this time of year is all
not all of us live on the island , or are lucky enough to have a place over here....
"it is what it is !! "
beats a day in the office for sure....

, taken out my little guy right now , see if we can stir things up

felix

Spent a week in Bam from the 24 th to the 31st.
Had a great trip and a great time with good friends. Got one of our best friends her first big fish, awesome.
My son finally morphed into a fisherman, and boxed a few nice springs in some challenging conditions.
It wasn't super busy on the rods but had great weather, fairly good seas and a few nice fish.

Great to watch my kid crabbing, exploring the rocks, and just enjoying the ocean as a kid should.

I echo the appreciation of honest reports, even if they are painful.
That's the intel that decides whether or not many of us throw more $ at the fuel pumps or reschedule things for another day or week.

Change of plans for me instead of Desolation Sound...buddy staying at Seabeam twisted my arm(not to hard)
will drag the tub over to fish Bamfield area Friday-Monday
Won't be a hardcore fishing trip for me

Back