2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Bit of a late report. Was up last week Monday to Friday at Seabeam. It was my 3 rd trip to Banfield and the first to were unsuccessful to say the least. Scratching around for some feeders really. We hit a few spots the Mon. Mainly Kirby Whitestone and little Beale. Had 1 hookup of a decent spring at Beale but lost it. Tuesday day we hit 7 mile keha bay and cree ,efingham and was slow. For the evening e went to little Beale where my buddy sun suit Shaun insisted on putting down a orange black coyote he's bought for the trips few years back. Well what do you know we hit an 18 lb spring and a 15. The next morning went there again and the down the Halloween on 1 side and I switch from bait to a cop car on the other. It goes off. Hooked 6 springs and landed 4. Biggest 22. Went that evening and again more spring action. The cop car was killing it and the other went dead. Next day back again and still fish. Got the biggest if the trip at 26 lbs. That fish hit hard and the spoon was swallowed completely and the fish was gill hooked. The first 8 springs e got the stomachs were empty but there was in the last ones. For the afternoon and evening e went to seaward rocks and trolled to pachena. Got some lings snapper and 1 spring on a needlefish hootchie I'd tied after seeing the stomach of the latest. Also trolled Beale on the way in with nothing to show. Went the next morning again and nothing. And then it was time to split. So we got our springs didn't see a Coho and no hali but didn't really try

Attachments

• V__CF42.jpg
    V__CF42.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 117
  • WP_20160721_12_03_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160721_12_03_31_Pro.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a late report. Was up last week Monday to Friday at Seabeam. It was my 3 rd trip to Banfield and the first to were unsuccessful to say the least. Scratching around for some feeders really. We hit a few spots the Mon. Mainly Kirby Whitestone and little Beale. Had 1 hookup of a decent spring at Beale but lost it. Tuesday day we hit 7 mile keha bay and cree ,efingham and was slow. For the evening e went to little Beale where my buddy sun suit Shaun insisted on putting down a orange black coyote he's bought for the trips few years back. Well what do you know we hit an 18 lb spring and a 15. The next morning went there again and the down the Halloween on 1 side and I switch from bait to a cop car on the other. It goes off. Hooked 6 springs and landed 4. Biggest 22. Went that evening and again more spring action. The cop car was killing it and the other went dead. Next day back again and still fish. Got the biggest if the trip at 26 lbs. That fish hit hard and the spoon was swallowed completely and the fish was gill hooked. The first 8 springs e got the stomachs were empty but there was in the last ones. For the afternoon and evening e went to seaward rocks and trolled to pachena. Got some lings snapper and 1 spring on a needlefish hootchie I'd tied after seeing the stomach of the latest. Also trolled Beale on the way in with nothing to show. Went the next morning again and nothing. And then it was time to split. So we got our springs didn't see a Coho and no hali but didn't really try

solid report , thx buds

fd

great report, sounds like the fish are starting to come around slowly...

Just got off the island from a 6 day trip (July 21 to 27) to Bamfield. First day we heard fish were on Hysen and Starfish, up off of Tofino. Weather looked good so we went up there and hit good numbers of Chinook, coho and Hali. Biggest Chinook was 22 and Hali was 40. Small cop car spoon and brown turd hoochie with a super good Betsy flasher. Next four days the weather sucked. We tried to get off shore but the body didn't like it so we fished Cree, effingham, meares, Kirby, Sanford all with very little action! I have not seen it that slow inside for years at this time of year. There were a few decent Chinook being taken on the wall. One of the last days we made it out to rats nose and hit Chinook on needlefish hoochies in a silver and red colour (sorry don't know the name). On the last day we battled the rough water and fished big bank, hit our limit of 8 - 15 lb Chinook and a few decent hatchery coho. Reports of fish being caught at Kirby and the wall that day too. Hope the weather gets better for anyone heading out there this weekend cause my body got beat down!!

I've been at Poett nook 6 days with 3 more days To go for this trip and so far it's been very slow!!! I had luck on Sunday at sail rock first thing In the morning, got 2 24lbs springs to the boat and lost 4 other very nice fish ! As for the rest of the week it's been slow with the odd spring and coho. we have had some luck in namint bay fishing super close to shore got into a couple springs in there. I sure hope it gets better for August and September before we take the boat home and wrap the trailer for the season.

I've been at Poett nook 6 days with 3 more days To go for this trip and so far it's been very slow!!! I had luck on Sunday at sail rock first thing In the morning, got 2 24lbs springs to the boat and lost 4 other very nice fish ! As for the rest of the week it's been slow with the odd spring and coho. we have had some luck in namint bay fishing super close to shore got into a couple springs in there. I sure hope it gets better for August and September before we take the boat home and wrap the trailer for the season.
Where abouts is sail rock? Thanks!

Came back this afternoon from 3 days of fishing the south side of the Barkley Sound. Road to Poett Nook is in fair shape. Monday evening, patrolled the Wall, not a single bite. Tuesday morning, nice weather, went to Cree and Meares, landed a 20 lbs there, then moved on to Swale rock, then Howard point, then Diplock, nothing.... Evening was trolling from Aguillar Point to the Nook, not a bite...

Wednesday morning, Beale all the way to the Nook, with a detour at Kirby... Picked up a 8 lbs Coho at Aguillar, then nothing... Evening fishing, zero bite... This morning, fog was so dense, could not see my hand, so I sticked around Bamfield... Not a bite all morning. This is it, after 30 hours of fishing... Don't get me wrong on this... Few people are doing "OK" ... This guy came back from SAIL ROCK this morning with a 28 lbs and a 25 lbs, 2 fish with 4 people onboard... Was nice to see some meat anyway :) There is still lots of shakers around... It is quite obvious that the fish hasn't moved inside the Sound, in any substantial numbers...

One might think: fish the surfline , that remains your best bet...

Wow from all reports looks like it is still tough sleddin for sure inside the sound... Pretty strange... Hope the winds lay down and offer fair seas

LA PEROUSE buoy

I have noticed in the last 2 weeks , that it says NA( as in not available broken) for wind direction. Swell readings work, so I have put a safety concern in with the weather office. They replied right away. I said , that as there are upwards of 200 sporties and guides fishing from Swiftsure to Starfish, La Perouse is the only offshore indicator of wind we have. I feel it is imperative, that we have it working for the summer season. Two weeks ago, they went out and checked and found that seal lions? have broken a unit, which they replaced. Apparently it has also quit working. As I am only the 2nd phone call they have received, after I explained how vital it is for offshore, and how many sporties are actually out there, now they are going to attempt more repairs as soon as possible. They need to get Coast Guard to take repair tecks out there. Meanwhile, I noticed over the last 2 yrs , another smaller yellow ODAS buoy, at 48.53.07 x 125.38.06 if anybody is out there this weekend, could u swing by and see if its still there. The weather dept, is not aware of it, but they said, it we can get a number or current position, they will contact whose it is and see if they can gather wind info off it for the summer.

and if we don't get it fixed soon, here is the number to call 604-664-9100, or email ec.ReceptionTemp.ec@Canada.ca and just say, you need La Perouse fixed.

SD19

Back