2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Last day of our trip! Lots of boats at pill in the AM so ran to swale rock. Steady action all morning on springs. Lots of smaller fish however managed a handful of 10-20lbers. Action packed day and great weather! Most of the bigger fish were taken on herring in 55-85ft of water. Good luck everyone in the derby

i been running a white uv on one side, white oilslick on the other. cut the legs down, bait is small!! looks like a squirt somewhat... 50/50 on the catch... fish are a lil deeper, find the troughs and run 50-60'

flavor of the past wknd was white hoochies , solid glow as well, purple flash fly
had a couple springs
some guys were doin ok on bait , but hoochies killed it for us , kinda nice !!
flasher colors didnt seem to matter , gold purple works for me ,

200 lbs of red meat in 3 days ,
coho tailed off sunday , was smokin thursday and friday
the obliging springs were welcomed by Jim and Donny sat and sun ,
last 2 , a landed dbl header to finish our 2016 summer season , 4 over 20-22

whittlestone and danvers were both good at times , aguilar had a bunch of boats as well ,

bring on the cooler weather , time for some smokin and bevys , enjoy !!

reset with our winter gear in 6 weeks

have a great fall , catch ya laters
gd lk to the tuna fleet
stay safe

felix

https://www.facebook.com/FogduckerFishingAdventures

flavor of the past wknd was white hoochies , solid glow as well, purple flash fly
had a couple springs
some guys were doin ok on bait , but hoochies killed it for us , kinda nice !!
flasher colors didnt seem to matter , gold purple works for me ,

200 lbs of red meat in 3 days ,
coho tailed off sunday , was smokin thursday and friday
the obliging springs were welcomed by Jim and Donny sat and sun ,
last 2 , a landed dbl header to finish our 2016 summer season , 4 over 20-22

whittlestone and danvers were both good at times , aguilar had a bunch of boats as well ,

bring on the cooler weather , time for some smokin and bevys , enjoy !!

reset with our winter gear in 6 weeks

have a great fall , catch ya laters
gd lk to the tuna fleet
stay safe

felix

https://www.facebook.com/FogduckerFishingAdventures

Just checking FD, you said your running hoochies instead of bait??
Last year when I recommended hoochies to a guy who was asking what to use in the the Sound you were adamant that hoochies were a waste of of time, and it was strictly a bait show inside.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist the chance to rub it in. Glad to hear you're doing well out there. Thanks for all the reports this season as usual. :)

Fished Barkley last week - Tuesday - Friday. BIG shout out to Chad and the staff at Barkley Sound Lodge. Great accommodations and, thanks to cook Joey, fantastic meals. First time fishing Barkley in about 35 years. We had three boats. Fished Swale, Pill for the first two days then over to Bamfield - Poet to the Wall on the third. Very spotty. Two of our boats came out with two fish, the third with 10. I lost a big spring to a seal off Pill - big disappointment. The fish were caught on anchovies with green glow teasers and white glow hootchies. Saw a few Stripers out there, but not the Fog Ducker! A shame as I wanted to say hi to Felix. We're booked for the week before Labour Day next year so maybe then....

sorry BB
looked for ya , seen a few regulars out there from the forum , you To Captain Skid...
we missed the Stinky Jew ,
fished alongside a few guide boats , thx to Clayton , Mills Landings new guide ,
for all the info , solid guy , knows how to put them on the deck , huge bonus to Mills landing ,
nice seein Bish out there as well ,
we mostly fished Danvers , middle of Trevor channel for coho , Whittlestone

as far as the comment goes on the bait , i still stand by what i said , anchovies hands down for the sound for late season Chinook
we switched to hoochies looking for coho , pretty standard for me ,was rewarded big time , guess what , the Springs loved it too, so i stuck with it ,
ive got alot of years of logbooks to back that up ,

been a VERY tough year , alot of playin around ,hot today , dead tmrw ,
every trip different from the last , but always turned out great..

thx Deryk , was nice keepin in touch with ya over the summer , appreciate all your advice and experience , reports !!

till next time

fd

Last edited:
I was just yanking your chain Felix, glad you did well.

I stick by the fact that blue and white is a great colour for Sept too. If the white hoochies are working usually blue and white will as well. The colours I use are all out of production and I have them in 2,3, and 4inch sizes. They were all working at the end of Aug, and they usually work really well in Sept. Another colour that has slayed for me in Sept is an octopus hoochie that used to be known in the old days as the purple people eater, Yamashita 083R. The same colour in needlefish is a killer as well, can't remember the code on that hoochie (it's a Soundwave I belive). Blue spackle back glow Kajiki baits work great too. Purple haze white hoochies, purple haze transparent hoochies they are all killer in clear water in the sound. Don't be so quick to write off the blues just because you never had much luck on them, they work hot dam out there.

All the best, thanks again Felix.

Last edited:
Anytime Felix's..... No Joy for us yesterday down in Barkley.... Pretty quiet from most I believe..A friend had a alright day on tuesday hooking 6 fish biggest being a beast 21lb cohoe.... still marking some good fish but was thinking the full moon was not our friend...did get some white meat so didn't go home empty handed ... Man I sure wanted to be tuna fishing I believe that was u Dak I saw at Flemming in the afternoon....

Fished Bamfield yesterday, Nanat to Brady's beach..... for my efforts, 2 average sized Coho and a 25lb Chinook. Beautiful day on the water, hardly any boats and the water was flat calm until early in the afternoon. I love September fishing!

Took advantage of a beautiful day & mirror calm waters offshore Thursday to run out to 10 mile from Clutesi. Got a 95cm Halibut, a 75cm spring & a couple of Copper Rockfish (or Quillback? - I can never be sure of the difference) before calling it a day.

While I was outside for just over 4 hours, my fishing time was only about 2.5 hours as after the mid day slack the currents were severe & I spent of lot of non fishing time untangling an almighty mess created when I let the boat get turned sideways while side tracked snelling up a new set of hooks & not paying attention to where I was going. :( Good news was no gear was lost.

A major plus was a fantastic show of breaching & fluking from a pair of humpbacks that were fishing with me.

Last edited:
image.jpeg Trolling off diplock sunday morning. Weather was great flat calm and sunny. Picked up one smaller side spring here. Hit the same spot three times nata. Moved to the bamfield harbour mouth and hit a screamer! Had to check if I hit bottom nope, couldn't slow him. Went to hit the boat to neutral and pop lost it! Fack!!!!!!!! Trolled over same spot three times, nata. Trolled the wall and just past the wall hit this nice spring. Put up a good fight but I didn't let up and gave her the wood soap! No coho for me seemed the May have gone up with the rain.

Chatter on the vhf sounded like fishing had slowed.

For me was nice to be out and my first solo trip to the sound. Fishing buddies bailed. I was sure to send them my pics tho! Lol.
image.jpeg

A bit late but here are a few pics from Sept 9-11. High point of the trip was my brother in law's 18 lb Coho, and we also landed a double header with a nice Coho and a Spring. Lost a beauty at the mouth of Bamfield harbour....right at the side of the boat. Ended up with about 20 good hook ups over 2 1/2 days, lost ALOT!! Ran bait the whole time. Pardon the double images....too lazy to try and work out the bugs!! lol20160909_184734.jpg 20160909_184734.jpg

Attachments

• 20160910_125907.jpg
    20160910_125907.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20160910_125907.jpg
    20160910_125907.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: RBL
Switch off.........lol. Was out on on Sunday for 5 hours , hit pill,diplock,wall,trevor Channel. Nothing ..... Talked to a crew out for a three day trip with nothing worth keeping. I did hear some coho around the red can at San Jose islets. Fish around the sea lions and hope you get one to the boat...lol.

Back