2016 Alberni Inlet

Just back from China creek. Hit the water at 6:30 am Saturday. Found fish in the middle, between lone tree and China creek, had our limit of 8 by 8:00 am. Like the others most at 40 ft ish. Today (Sunday) we were on the water at 5:00 am. Decided to try our luck at the rockslide, out in the middle again,managed to get two at about 7:00 am. The fleet was down around lone tree area, so we headed there. A lot slower than yesterday but we still managed to get the remainder of our fish by 10:30. Great weather today, and a great weekend.

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
Subject:
FN0566-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine - Sockeye - Area B - Area 23 - Alberni Inlet - Opening June 27-29, 2016

Area 23 - Alberni Inlet

Seines open from 10:00 hours Monday, June 27 to 10:00 hours Wednesday June 29,
2016, in the following areas:

The target catch for this opening is 65,000 sockeye.

The Forecast remains at 1.0 million. The commercial allocation for Seine and
Gill Net at this run-size is 323,678. Seine allocation is 194,213. Gill Net
allocation is 129,475. Seine catch to date is 26,000. Gill net catch to date
is approximately 92,000.

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject:
FN0568-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Sockeye - Area D - Area 23 - Barkley Sound and Lower Alberni Inlet - Opening June 28, 2016

Area 23 gill nets open Tuesday June 28, 2016 for 14 hours, from 06:00 hours to
20:00 hours, in the following Subareas:

The Forecast remains at 1.0 million. The Area D Gill Net allocation is
129,475, catch to date is approximately 92,000.

Test Seine Data from June 26 FYI

Jun 26 2016 Follinsbee Creek 275
Jun 26 2016 Lone Tree Point 2,275
Jun 26 2016 China Creek 90
Jun 26 2016 Underwood Cove 23
Jun 26 2016 Sproat Narrows 0
Jun 26 2016 Hocking Point (Opst) 200
Daily total 2,863

First Nations

Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath & Tseshaht)

Economic Opportunity

Communal Drag Seine – Friday June 24th to Sunday June 26th daily from 5 am to 3 pm at Papermill Dam Pool in the Somass River. Target 10,700 Pieces.

Gillnets – Monday June 27th 12 pm to Tuesday June 28th 12 pm from Paper Mill Dam Pool to Ten Mile Point. ( If escapement targets met by Monday)

Hook and Line – Food Social and Ceremonial (FSC) 7 days a week from Papermill Dam to Hook Bay except for Papermill Dam Pool.

Maanulth – Domestic use (FSC) 7 days a week Gillnet and, Hook and Line - the harvest plan may include the contracting of designated Area D Gillnet vessels to harvest sockeye. These vessels will be displaying Maa-nulth identification flags.

Commercial

Area D Gillnet – Tuesday June 28th 14 hour opening from 6 am to 8 pm from the Bamfield harbour to the Pocahontas line.

Area B Seine - Seine fishery will open Monday June 27th 10 am to Wednesday June 29th 10 am. The fishery will close earlier if target catch of 65,000 pcs is reached. Open area from Polly Point to a line 1 nautical mile south of Pocahontas Point. There will be a closed area for seines as agreed to by the Area 23 Harvest Committee. The initial seine closed area will be bounded in the north by a line from Dunsmuir Point to the pilings north of China Creek and, in the south by a line drawn from Hocking Point easterly to the opposite shore.

Recreational

May 1 until further notice 4 sockeye per day in Area 23 except for the tidal portions of the Somass River which remain at 2 sockeye per day.

Experimental non tidal river fishery at Somass Park opened May 1st 2 sockeye per day.

For more information please refer to Fisheries Notices or contact the DFO office in Port

Still lots of fish out there people. Compared to the last 10 years its lookin real good, especially with this hot weather

Jun 27 2016 Ten Mile Point 73
Jun 27 2016 Coleman Creek 26
Jun 27 2016 Pocahontas Point 107
Jun 27 2016 Coyote Bluff 199
Jun 27 2016 Chup Point 140
Jun 27 2016 Pill Point 17
Daily total 562

Thanks for the info Photocopy, Derby and Firemann911,

Please tell me if I'm reading this correctly. The area between China Creek/Dunsmuir down to Hocking point will not have any seiners? Is it worth trying Friday or maybe wait until Sunday to give it a bit of time to replenish? Not sure how the commercial openings affect the rec fishery. (trying to convince my two young girls that getting up at 3:30 am to leave Nanaimo will be worth it this time....:)
Thanks in advance.

Please tell me if I'm reading this correctly. The area between China Creek/Dunsmuir down to Hocking point will not have any seiners? Is it worth trying Friday or maybe wait until Sunday to give it a bit of time to replenish? Not sure how the commercial openings affect the rec fishery. (trying to convince my two young girls that getting up at 3:30 am to leave Nanaimo will be worth it this time....:)
Thanks in advance.

I'd hit it sooner than later. It hasn't rained since this past Thursday and with the heat the river should be dropping so they'd be stacking up.....or just go both days :)

I agree with old blue, I'd try Friday. And, yes, you are reading it right, no seiners from Dunsmuir to Hocking Pt. Get on the water as early as possible. Good luck, have fun.

My family and I will be at China Creek Monday, July 4 for that week. Looking forward to (hopefully) some of that crazy all four lines going, sockeye action I remember from 10 years ago. It was a hoot trying to play several rods at once. I am wondering if any springs are expected to be in the inlet at that time?

It's been a few years since I fished in the sound. Besides Bamfield and Poet Nook where else can fuel be found?
Thanks
Stosh

Reactions: abl

Thanks in advance.

Best to just go out and fish, ask people at the marina where the fish are and most are very helpful. I will be there from thursday night to sunday morning. If you need any tips/help with rigging PM me and I can meet with you before you head out.

Bruce Lee.... Commercial Seiners were out in full force today, they will be done at the the end of the day. We caught several with feet of the Seiner boats.... When the bite is on the bite is on! Put the time in and find the depth and you should have success!

Very slow today from 0430 to 0715.
The odd net out here and there, lots of skunked boats.

Back