2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

fished high to low tide this a.m. Few random marks and bait balls mainly around 100-150 ft. Wife lost a big 20+ lb chinook around the motors. Hit a green flasher with a no banana glow spoon at 150 ft. Threw back afew pollack as well.

Out yesterday all afternoon. Beautiful day.

Fished everywhere (French Creek) from outside Humps to inshore. Didn't mark any baitballs. Lots of Pollack, caught at least 12.

Bite on at 3 and 4 o'clock. Caught two undersize Chinook(released) at Humps on No Bananas G-Force spoon. 190 in 210 ft of water.

Caught 3 more Chinook inshore at 4'oclock. All just short of legal. Tiny green, yellow, white spoon and tiny black, green, white spoon. 170ft in 170 ft of water.

Spoons were working better than hoochies.

And.........the algae bloom is ON. Picked slime/snot off the lines all day.

Of the boats that were out there , I saw no fish on and no nets coming out.

Tried various lures,rigs, "go-to's".....Pollack loved all of them.......half the time towing them around without even knowing they're on........

Lots of weed, flotsam closer into shore.......

One guy I talked to said he saw baitballs while fishing tight in to shore (120ft deep and less)...but too much debris/weed that close in for my liking. He was also using Apexes and did get a couple (too small...released) on those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out monday am on french creek hump. Lots of lettuce around and lines starting to get slimed. Few marks and afew random small bait marks. Did catch a chinook but lost him when he did a backflip as the flasher broke surface. He hit a glow spoon and glow flasher at 155 ft.

Out at french creek hump this a.m. Lots of random marks 100-150 ft (pollack- releasd a bunch of them). Did have afew good hits but quickly lost them. Good hits on everthing, jughead hoochie, anchovies, glow/non glow spoons and flashers. Did land/release one 60cm chinook that hit a watermellon glow spoon on green oinion flasher at 99 ft.

Fished near Lasqueti for the first time today from 9 - 2. Kept one 12 lber, missed one that looked pretty good and released a small spring. The stomach was filled with 4 fish, I attached a photo, maybe a perch?
Bites came on anchovies from 90-150.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 685
Last edited by a moderator:
Are perch usually a shallow water fish or are they found in deeper water as well. Just wondering if the springs are heading into shallow water to feed maybe at night and thus feeding on perch.

Oly

From late fall - spring the shiner perch are way out deep , only really seem to move back into the regular piers and kelp in the warm months

I've never seen them in open water, that's why I'm so surprised. I would think that fish must have been feeding in the kelp or near shallow structure. Shiners are not a open water fish, unless my fishing 30 years on these waters is mistaken. (Don't get me wrong, I love to learn new things:)

Still the king of "just under size" on the french creek hump!
Landed/released 55 cm chinook, caught on glow spoon with glow flasher at 122 ft. Fewer marks (pollack?) than past couple weeks at 100-150 ft and one small bait ball noted. Threw back two good size pollack as well,

Out today off Winchelsea.......
5:15 pm:- one 12 pound Chinook on 3 1/2 " Mongoose spoon which was 60" behind a green/glow/plaid flasher :- 150ft on 225 ft of water.....outside of island.

Earlier:- couple of undersize on 4" CopCar/Glow TKO spoon........behind a "Madi" -style flasher.....outside of island.

Wasn't seeing a hell of a lot on the fishfinder..........didn't catch a single Pollock or P-cod (Yippee!).

Almost no algae bloom.....just a little bit.....nothing serious.

Went two for two on teenagers. 140 on green splatterbacks. Fun until the Pollock showed up.

I fished FC today but didn't get on the water until 11:30 and only lasted until 2:30 when I became overwhelmingly frustrated by the pollock! I couldn't keep the lines in the water for more than 15min without both rods hooking one of the little rats. It didn't seem to matter what I used, what depth, what speed... they were everywhere. That is my pollock rant haha. If anyone finds a magic sent which repels pollock and attracts springs please let me know :D

Well... you could catch a smaller Pollock...then put it in a Jughead or something (maybe even cutplug it) and troll it.....:cool:

I have it on good authority here that Chinook bigger than 25lbs will nail those.......:p

Had an awesome charter with Jack Fish today. Limits of Chinook to the low 20s. Small spoons, long leaders and trolled faster than normal (pollack).

Finally something to report other than pollock. Went to Ballenas with Bushy, my cabin boy, and went 2 for 4. Hootchies and bait were the ticket. We did the usual passes and nothing so decided to head out to deeper water and finally got some action. Bushy just bought a new G.Loomis mooching rod and put some bait on and nailed the first one then I got the second on an army truck. Fish were at 120 ft in 500 ft of water. Weird Qualicum blew up so we had to tuck in on the back side of Ballenas where we lost a couple nice ones and waited til it calmed down a bit. Maybe try again today...........BRS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 525
Back