2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

I was in the white 17' Campion with the blue top. We lost a nice one 180' on anchovy. Just got the boat and first time at Ballenas, very nice spot.

Hey alanperky, saw you out there. It is a beautiful spot and protected from ths SE winds. Have never had so much luck there this time of year, maybe because all the bait around., good luck........BRS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 813
Hi bigredsnapper were you in the Striper on Friday? We hope to be out on Tuesday in the same spot. We trolled at 160' and 180' in about 200' of water, cop car one side anchovy on the other would you change anything? That was our first fishing trip in that boat, good thing we didn't catch too many we forgot the net!

Launch at Shooner what about you? I had a 16ft Lund until this boat so never wanted to go too far from the ramp. Got lots of fish at French Creek and Little Q last year, but my favourite spots are Gerald Mistaken and Ballenas.

My boat is in the water at Beachcomber. I have been there for about fifteen years so I know all the spots. PM me anytime if you want for info.........BRS

Hey Moon, I fished the gap for years when I had my boat at the marina at the Reserve before the docks fell apart. That was the days before navigation and you had to make sure you were lined up right. Lots of other fish around there too if you like the white meat..........BRS

Nice to see you out there BRS. We had a great whale show and lots of crab but no salmon. Spoke to a couple of guys at the ramp no hits for them either. Taking my daughter out tomorrow hope she brings better luck!

Out tuesday at low tide on the french creek hump. Only one small bait ball found that quickly spread out. Released one just undersize, no other hits. Spring caught on glow flasher and glow spoon deep.

Hi Alan, thought I pop over and say Hi. Well we did about the same as you at Ballenas, trolled for a couple hours and squat. There was still lots of bait, just no action. It wasn't from lack of trying, Bushy and I tried pretty much everything including bait. We just missed the whales but maybe they had something to do with it. It was a beautiful day though and we did get one undersized at Gerald before we came over..........BRS

Took advantage of the calm wind fcst & launched boat & fished y'day & today. Unlike last week, no sign of birds feeding on the surface anywhere, but the eagles are starting to gather on the offshore islands. Counted at least 10 y'day.

Y'day fished Winchelsea & outside of Yeo to N end of Gerald over the slack at noon for 3.5 hrs. Beautiful day, but not a hit & only bait was in the gut & a little to the North of it at Winchelsea.

Today fished Ballenas over the slack at noon for 1.5 hrs. Despite fcst for light wind, was pretty choppy offshore - 4' wind waves on return run to schooner cove - but calm in the lea on N end of Ballenas. Scattered bait, mostly 150 to 220'. 1 hit, 1 fish just under 80 cm on the bottom at 205'. Green & White Hoochy on green flasher. Fish had 4" herring in its stomach.
Chinook Jan 21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nice chunky fish a real beauty. Thanks for the report. What do you think that fish weighed. Looks over 15.

Any recent French Creek reports? I was out earlier in the month and it was pretty active out there. We lost a decent fish, kept an 11 lber and released several undersized.

Out at french creek hump yesterday at high tide. Couple small bait balls, few marks 100-150 ft. Lost one that hit glow flasher with glow yellow/white hoochie.

Back