2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

Nice fish Big Green Machine! I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do some evening fishing. I was out this morning, first boat out that I could tell. Lot's of pinks (kept my limit) mainly on a pink,white and black hootchie fishing anywhere from 50- 200' in 200-300' of water. I also caught one undersize spring and one wild coho both on green and white spoon.
It was the first morning in awhile that the wind cooperated. Is it just me or has this been the windiest summer - ever?

I was up bright and early again today even though there was a wind warning I headed out. Fished right out front of the marina as I didn't want to get stuck too far away. Did my usual setup, spring setup on one side, pinks on the other. The pinks were coming in so fast I had to pull the spring line. Had my limit by 6:30 easy. Brought in at least 8, lost probably 5 or 6. Also caught one hatchery coho, too bad I already had my limit. Mainly fished in 250-300' of water at 50-60' depth. Pink, cream and black hootchie with chrome red stripe flasher. Lots of fun and back by 7:00! The dog will not run out of fish for awhile.

It's nice to see everyone participating in this forum!
It's also nice that people post pictures of their catch with no explanation as to how they caught it.

I landed a couple of springs and a coho this morning off French Creek. One very small spring caught on a 6" green and white spoon at 170' in probably about 250' of water. The other barely legal one (9#) was caught on an army truck spoon same depth. One hatchery coho at 220' in 300' of water. The 9# had 6 bait fish inside it which the seagulls enjoyed. Herring I think, 5 or 6".

One guy came in with a 30# spring but i didn't see it.

Fished low to high tide at french creek hump. Lots of marks, few baitballs, few weeds. Wife has been on a slump so i set her up with a Pink hoochie / purple onion glow flasher and told her 60 ft down.....She didnt make it all the way down and had a fish on....shaker but still a fish, curse broken. She also got a pink from 100ft. I got a Pink from 190 ft with kermit spoon and green onion glow flasher. Also landed/released another pink with same rig from 145ft. Kept two pinks for smoker, relatives coming!

Out yesterday afternoon off F.C.

3 Pinks, I Chinook.

Pinks:- will hit just about anything. Just about any depth. Mine came from 160ft down to 90ft down.

Chinooks:- Lost a big one on outside of Humps.....lure down 140 ft in 275 ft of water..........Gibbs Cop Car Skinny G Spoon six feet behind Green haze flasher.

Went inshore a bit........Nice keeper Chinook on T-Rex needlefish hoochy, 38 " leader, Super Gold Betsy flasher......water 160 ft deep....tackle down right on the bottom.

Patches of weed were a pain at times.

Chinook had 7 inch herring in it's stomach.

Last two Chinooks we got have been almost white.Only a trace of pinkish color to the meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out 1st thing this morn and got a 14lb spring right at high slack at 80' in 100' of water near the white door on a blue and silver coyote with a 5' leader.

Out 1st thing this morn and got a 14lb spring right at high slack at 80' in 100' of water near the white door on a blue and silver coyote with a 5' leader.

I am going to have to give salmon fishing a try out of French Creek assuming their are still chinooks around. Any good guides or rentals?

I was out this morning at 5 and there was already a line-up at the dock. I almost said the hell with it but managed to get on the water by 5:30, luckily there were no boats coming in. Not a hot day for me, just a couple of wild coho and one decent pink. Had some smaller pinks but released them. I fished at 170' for the most part in 250' of water using various hootchies but a army truck spoon seemed to produce the most again.

Does anyone know how big the winning fish was for the Derby?

Cheers

29 pounds was the winner

I was out this morning at 5 and there was already a line-up at the dock. I almost said the hell with it but managed to get on the water by 5:30, luckily there were no boats coming in. Not a hot day for me, just a couple of wild coho and one decent pink. Had some smaller pinks but released them. I fished at 170' for the most part in 250' of water using various hootchies but a army truck spoon seemed to produce the most again.

Does anyone know how big the winning fish was for the Derby?

Cheers

Fished high to low tide at french creek hump. Lots of bait towards top 50 ft. Lots of random marks. A line of weeds along the hump, ok as long as you stayed outside 200ft. Released 2 pinks caught on green onion glow flasher with green/white glow spoon at 90 and 111 ft. Had lots of other taps but nothing else off the clip. Taps more on spoons tried than hoochies.

Fished french Creek yesterday, 2 pinks, one spring about 12 lbs and 1 wild coho, released.Army truck hootchie one one side and splatter back on the other for most of the day.Depths were 140 to 220,

Was out this morning early to late AM. I started fishing in 150' of water and worked my way out using various spoons and hootchies. At some point around 8 I was in 350-400' of water and that's when the action started. Several wild coho at 120 - 220' and one undersize spring. Had one huge mother on, it was like I was hooked on the bottom - almost. I would guess at least 25 pounds but doesn't matter because it never made it to the boat. Ahhhhh!!! Most fish caught on a purple haze hootchie which I don't usually use at French Creek. Tomorrow I will destroy fish - maybe.

Saturday morning launched at FC and ran up to Little Qual. Saw about 6 springs taken from the 12 or so boats that were there, few pinks as well it seemed. For us, lost a mid-teen spring around 8am and then when we were pulling gear to head into ramp at 930am a spring hit the anchovy right at the surface - ended up in the net and was about 15lbs. Nothing else for us there and tried all the gear and depths.

Dropped off buddy back at FC launch and headed out front for a couple hours. Scraped up a couple pinks for the BBQ but nothing else big for us. Tried all the gear and depths but no dice, didnt see a whole lot happening there but sure was a fair number of boats!

Hump: lots of random bait marks and random marks. White door: no marks or bait. Little Q: very few marks/bait
Released afew shakers, bigger shark, wild coho, lost afew off the clip and a couple 1/2 way to boat, lots of taps, kept 1 bigger pink for smoker. Most action with green glow flasher and green or white hoochie, green/white glow spoon or green/silver spoon at 70 and 170 ft.

Fished low to high tide on hump today. Very few bait balls, many random marks. Released 2 pinks caught coming up from 111 ft...purple/silver hoochie and armytruck Hoochie with purple onion glow flasher. Caught a good size spring at 129 ft with purple/silver hoochie and purple onion glow flasher, lost it at boat...darn!

Did my usual early morning run. Headed straight out from French Creek, started fishing when I got to 150' and kept lowering my line as I went deeper. By the time I got to 250' (fishing at 170') I had my first fish, a 9 1/2 lb spring on an army truck spoon. Fished down to the hump and back, caught one pink and a small spring right about where I caught the first one. Then it was off to work - drat! Supposed to be calm for the next day or so - might have to go to work a little later.

Back